Another windows 7 problem, help appreciated

FMCyrus

Hello everyone.

I seem to be having problems getting Emperor: Battle for Dune to run properly. I use Windows 7.

I get the error "GAME.EXE - Application Error" and it reads "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000005). Click OK to close the application."

Here's what I've tried to help fix the issue:

I have tried setting the compatibilty mode to Windows XP, in service packs 1, 2, and 3, and it hasn't worked yet.

I have attempted to set the affinity, to make sure its only running on one processor, as I have a quad-core system, but it tells me that "This operation could not be completed. Access is denied." I am running the game as an administrator, and am the only use for my computer, so I am not sure as to why it would tell me this, but whatever.

I don't use any virutal machines, not yet anyway, as I would prefer to get the game working without having to use other programs to work around the issue, unless no other solution is possible.

My discs are legit, so that is not an issue.

My video card is an NVidia GeForce 9100. I have been reading several posts about problems involving NVidia cards, so I updated my drivers using the automatic tool, and had no problems doing so. Sadly, it made no difference.

I had this game working just fine on my old computer, which is no longer working for a year or more due to power supply issues, so neither running it on another computer or using an old video card (my old card was integrated) are options for me.

I am somewhat baffled by this problem, and would appreciate any suggestions. Attached is a picture of my error, if that helps. post-3889-0-84078600-1299215990_thumb.pn

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

I seem to be having problems getting Emperor: Battle for Dune to run properly. I use Windows 7.

I get the error "GAME.EXE - Application Error" and it reads "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000005). Click OK to close the application."

Here's what I've tried to help fix the issue:

I have tried setting the compatibilty mode to Windows XP, in service packs 1, 2, and 3, and it hasn't worked yet.

I have attempted to set the affinity, to make sure its only running on one processor, as I have a quad-core system, but it tells me that "This operation could not be completed. Access is denied." I am running the game as an administrator, and am the only use for my computer, so I am not sure as to why it would tell me this, but whatever.

I don't use any virutal machines, not yet anyway, as I would prefer to get the game working without having to use other programs to work around the issue, unless no other solution is possible.

My discs are legit, so that is not an issue.

My video card is an NVidia GeForce 9100. I have been reading several posts about problems involving NVidia cards, so I updated my drivers using the automatic tool, and had no problems doing so. Sadly, it made no difference.

I had this game working just fine on my old computer, which is no longer working for a year or more due to power supply issues, so neither running it on another computer or using an old video card (my old card was integrated) are options for me.

I am somewhat baffled by this problem, and would appreciate any suggestions. Attached is a picture of my error, if that helps. post-3889-0-84078600-1299215990_thumb.pn

Thanks!

DId you try running as an admin?

Quad core doesn't affect it, It runs fun on my phenom II x4 965.

DId you try running as an admin?

Quad core doesn't affect it, It runs fun on my phenom II x4 965.

Yup, I'm running as an admin.

If you can run it fine on your phenom, it must not be a multiple-core problem.

Ever run into "application errors" for any other programs you've had? I'm baffled here.

Yup, I'm running as an admin.

If you can run it fine on your phenom, it must not be a multiple-core problem.

Ever run into "application errors" for any other programs you've had? I'm baffled here.

Sounds like its not getting access to a resource that it requires, try reinstalling the game.

Where did you get your copy?

Sounds like its not getting access to a resource that it requires, try reinstalling the game.

Where did you get your copy?

Reinstallation gives me the same error.

I ordered it online, like-new quality. CD's are unscratched (like i mentioned in my 1st post, its a legitimate version).

Patching the game doesn't help, either. : (

Reinstallation gives me the same error.

I ordered it online, like-new quality. CD's are unscratched (like i mentioned in my 1st post, its a legitimate version).

Patching the game doesn't help, either. : (

I don`t suppose you have another computer?

• 4 months later...

I would do a clean install, but I would go to the setup file on the disk and right-click, then run as admin with Windows 98 compatiblity.

Second after you install it download the patch file and run the patch file with Admin properties.

Third I would go through the directory and click on all the exe. files and set them to Windows 98 compatibilty.

Finally make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers. The 275.33 drivers added open GL support back into the drivers which helps alot.

Also the problem I had, turn off the target lines in the options. After that it should play just fine.

I am using a quad core with no problems. I dont have to run it in single core format and I have 8 gigs of ram running so I hope this is helpful for you ....

Did you use the Emperor Install Fix? I am running Win 7 64 bit and had no problems with the install. I ALWAYS use the install fix when installing Emperor and I never have problems. Just follow the directions EXACTLY. When it says copy files to the desktop, do it. After the install you just delete the left over files. Also don't forget the 1.09 patch after installing. Let us know if that solves your problem.

Did you use the Emperor Install Fix? I am running Win 7 64 bit and had no problems with the install. I ALWAYS use the install fix when installing Emperor and I never have problems. Just follow the directions EXACTLY. When it says copy files to the desktop, do it. After the install you just delete the left over files. Also don't forget the 1.09 patch after installing. Let us know if that solves your problem.

I never needed any fixes. I just applied the official patch and a no-cd crack.

• 5 years later...