Panathinaikos-Olympiakos

Spectral Paladin

There used to be football fans in this forum; are there still? I know there's at least one other greek here. And perhaps those who think football is simply a sport to keep masses busy will get a glimpse of what it stands for.

Nowadays clubs, particularly the popular ones, have fans that span all classes and very diverse people; yet only a fool would fail to discern the differences between fans of Panathinaikos and Olympiakos.

On 19 February 2011 Panathinaikos players embodied pride and a fighter's heart. Olympiakos-Panathinaikos ended all but securing the title for the former, the referee in essence decided the match with wrong decisions (as proven by the match video). Following the final whistle, fans of the home team (the only ones permitted to be there) entered the pitch and attacked Panathinaikos players. The president of Olympiakos, Vangelis Marinakis, followed that with provocative comments declaring the victory just and inviting young kids to become fans of his team to be happy, while failing to acknowledge the events that followed the game.

That night, 1000 Panathinaikos went to Panathinaikos' training ground to praise the efforts of the players upon their return.

On Sunday, 3000 fans gathered outside the studio of the national television to protest against the game's coverage which failed to be objective.

There have also been attacks on an olympiakos player who was provocative during the game, the linesman who disallowed a valid goal as well as the offices of the football league. I do not condone these or lump them together with the above but it would be inaccurate to ommit them.

If you believe these are usual football fan activities or that this is classic football hooliganism, I dare say you 're a naive fool. For us, the divide with Olympiakos is more than just colors in a game. For us, they symbolise the corruption and the intention to prevail by all means we see everywhere in our country. These actions are the the result of an anger reaching its peak after 15 years, in a society already at boiling point.

Marinakis' predecessor whose methods he mimics, Sokratis Kokalis was the dictator of Greek football for 15 years. Since 1996. He ensured his club would win the championship every year. He did so by assuming total control over everything he could. Bribing, bullying and making deals with game officials, the greek football federation, the media, the management of other clubs; in all his endeavours he was backed by the greek state, which never moved against him despite evidence surfacing from to time for his crimes in football as well as other areas. An extreme case was the title deciding match in 11 May 2003 when Olympiakos fans were used to terrorise Panathinaikos players before the game. In those years Olympiakos won 12 championships out of 14; Panathinaikos got the ones in 2004 and 2010. Marinakis took over Olympiakos during summer.

Images from after the game:

756978.jpg

59BA48ECC4984DE3BE2BCDB42D8D4666.jpg

cisse_oly1902t1.jpg

76ba3ca4956be14cdba4cb16d01cd51f_L.jpg?1298151882?1298151882?1298151882

11jvi1v.gif

Edited by Spectral Paladin

I wanted to start this thread but I am still very upset and pissed of for what happened there. Granted I will not pretend that we are angels, and that we do not also bribe, but this was the ultimate crime against our team and against the championship.

We should remove our team from the championship and take legal action. It makes no sense anymore.

And my advice to all those of our team playing PROPO: Stop playing. When the money stops flowing it will pain them.

Djibril Cisse hits out at 'racist' Greek league and declares plan to quit Panathinaikos

As for whether we are angels or bribe...before 96 Vardinogiannis was supposed to be dominant; Olympiakos won several championships during that time as well as other clubs (who have been denied all hope for a title post 96).

So no, I refuse to lump anything done in the name of Panathinaikos together with their atrocities. Olympiakos' club owners, who have changed a few times as they tend to end up in prison, have all been criminals. That's hardly a coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be a bit difficult to believe the master of lies. If we don't hear those CDs...

Anyway Kougias has probably done even worse.

And of course we are not taken by surprise: Everything is rotten here.

I do not think that it will help at all Greek soccer.

Thanks for info.