R8 and R16 Graphics

D2k Sardaukar

• 5 months later...

tomsons26 from freenode chat found out that the menu background textures are almost exactly 3Ds max stock textures (Burloak.jpg):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58357192/LOADGAME.png

and

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58357192/BURLOAK.JPG

Perhaps this can be added to d2kplus and wiki.

And nobody knew for this long that it's a stock texture?

More graphics, mvi! for on the website: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0ByRZMKXTjUMbRFRRUDdzWWhkbWs&export=download

It are images from PC Action issues from 1998. Source is from Hallfiry (from freenode #cncnet).

It's a big file, but around Archiv-1364.jpg there are 20 images of Dune 2000. Also at Archiv-1761.... and Archiv-3237.... and more start at Archiv-3514 (nice big one there)... it's like candy-land...

• Upvote 2

More graphics, mvi! for on the website: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0ByRZMKXTjUMbRFRRUDdzWWhkbWs&export=download

It are images from PC Action issues from 1998. Source is from Hallfiry (from freenode #cncnet).

It's a big file, but around Archiv-1364.jpg there are 20 images of Dune 2000. Also at Archiv-1761.... and Archiv-3237.... and more start at Archiv-3514 (nice big one there)... it's like candy-land...

Can you post them if you have them?

30? Hmm. There were 51 Dune 2000 files in that archive. Though I guess some shots like the Atreides Mentat video one aren't really useful to add.

In fact, your gallery could use some more cleaning, anyway. There seem to be a few more duplicates. For example, movies01.jpg is a very slightly cropped version of big-am1.jpg

That large 1700x1900 'thopter render is amazing, though. I found loads of hi-res artwork in there, from alll kinds of games :D (it has the Starcraft covers!)

Hah! It looks like the attacking units in that 'thopter render aren't Dune 2000 units at all... they're C&C1 Abrams tanks in Nod colours, lol.

d2k_medtanks.png

By the way, Westwood logos like Archiv-4363.bmp are completely useless these days; tomsons26 found a .svg of the logo inside a pdf file, meaning, we got the logo in scalable format. Infinite resolution! :)

...why is this in a thread about D2k internal graphics formats, though?

• Upvote 2

It's a "drop all images related to d2k" topic with a heavy flavour of my own creations in the beginning posts of this thread.

A vector version of the westwood logo is a nice catch, perhaps mvi will also put it on d2kplus? And while I'm at it, he might perhaps also check his forum inbox. ;-)

30? Hmm. There were 51 Dune 2000 files in that archive. Though I guess some shots like the Atreides Mentat video one aren't really useful to add.

In fact, your gallery could use some more cleaning, anyway. There seem to be a few more duplicates. For example, movies01.jpg is a very slightly cropped version of big-am1.jpg

That large 1700x1900 'thopter render is amazing, though. I found loads of hi-res artwork in there, from alll kinds of games :D (it has the Starcraft covers!)

Hah! It looks like the attacking units in that 'thopter render aren't Dune 2000 units at all... they're C&C1 Abrams tanks in Nod colours, lol.

d2k_medtanks.png

By the way, Westwood logos like Archiv-4363.bmp are completely useless these days; tomsons26 found a .svg of the logo inside a pdf file, meaning, we got the logo in scalable format. Infinite resolution! :)

...why is this in a thread about D2k internal graphics formats, though?

Thanks, added the SVG to the Misc section.

• 4 months later...

I tried to make the 'smugglers factory', but it's difficult to get that real authentic feeling.

Anyway, here it is:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.hPGJFKgqtP.gDATA-4244a.png

omg, i just rechecked the shape. it's completely off... ignore this image. it's crap

It is not that bad as you think it is. Can I add it to the https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/bleed/mods/d2k/bits collection?

• 3 months later...

You can only order a maximum amount of units at the same time. How many? Where in the code is this done? Can it be changed? Selection is not limited?

There is also a maximum amount of units that move at the same time.

There is also a maximum amount of allowed units (in total or per side?), can this also be changed?

post-2251-0-86173600-1430392923_thumb.jp

post-2251-0-50600700-1430394137_thumb.jp

I guess the limits are related to online games, too units on the map will slow down the game a lot and it would cause lag. Red Alert 1 got the same problems, I raised the limits once and the game became unplayable :D Even in skirmish it became really laggy, I guess these old engines were just not made for tons of units on the map

The max amount of units you can move is about the same problem, moving a lot units at the same time is causing a lot internet traffic. I had to fix once a bug where moving too many units dropped the game with an Out of sync message :D

All the settings seem to be in the .bin files, tibed can change a lot of them (but not all), so they're prolly still unidentified

Anyways, your pictures are pretty hypnotizing :D

Ah guys, could this game have a R32 bit graphics? just asking, dont judge me if I wrong with something or this question was already asked.

Regardless if it is possible or not, you won't need that many colours to make the game look good (R24 would make more sense). Besides we don't have higher quality source images, so there is no way to upgrade them. The pixel-looking-trooper will stay pixel looking. If you did manage to get it less pixel-looking it's not Dune 2000 any more. :)

I understand. Thanks for reply man. :)

Btw, in your mind are any kind of solutions which may improve something in d2k graphics(except high-resolution which is wonderfull) or we just need to let the game how it is ?

The gameplay graphics (the battlefield) is in my eyes perfect (it's what makes Dune 2000), the background images in the menus (that don't fit the high resolution, like world map), might need to be improved one day, but it's not that important for the gameplay experience. :)

... you won't need that many colours to make the game look good (R24 would make more sense). Besides we don't have higher quality source images, so there is no way to upgrade them. The pixel-looking-trooper will stay pixel looking. If you did manage to get it less pixel-looking it's not Dune 2000 any more. :)

Let me disagree. You could smooth the edges of existing sprites. Besides the infantry is not static. You could do a lot. OK I lack the skills for the latter-it would require he skills of a master artist.

• 3 years later...