R8 and R16 Graphics

D2k Sardaukar

Fancy creating some logos for the other factions, e.g. Mercenaries, Smugglers and Fremen?

Yes! Only small problem, I'm not that good in just creating logo's, so I need logo's from other Dune games, fan art, films or dune books that I can adjust.

sweet dude.... did you do the ones i asked??

The smugglers starport? No, I did not. Haha, I didn't even know the smugglers had a custom starport, cool! I did know about the heavy factory. I will try to make an icon in about two weeks from now, when I got more time.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a retry at creating a building in Dune 2000 style with Blender. I think I'm on the right track, but still lots and lots of tweaks needed. Camera angle is almost correct. Biggest problems are getting the correct materials (like reflectiveness), lighting and shadows. Agh, the shadows, something is very weird about them. It's like they are custom fit to stay inside the image canvas?! I also did a lot of after tweaking in GIMP, something I rather don't do. It should render it almost "realistic", but that is a long way to go.

A try at a new repair pad:

1zz2bsp.png

• Upvote 3

Did a retry at creating a building in Dune 2000 style with Blender. I think I'm on the right track, but still lots and lots of tweaks needed. Camera angle is almost correct. Biggest problems are getting the correct materials (like reflectiveness), lighting and shadows. Agh, the shadows, something is very weird about them. It's like they are custom fit to stay inside the image canvas?! I also did a lot of after tweaking in GIMP, something I rather don't do. It should render it almost "realistic", but that is a long way to go.

A try at a new repair pad:

1zz2bsp.png

what is the angle???

I need to make some new images for my mod and further game also...

nice job btw...

Can u give me some Pics for Buildings?

At the moment not. I still need to improve the renderings. When I get better results I will post the Blender file so everybody can try for them self. If someone has very persuading arguments and a well planned mod, I might perhaps in the future create some buildings. :)

This is amazing artwork. Just remove the 'black hole' from the centre and it will be even better. I also like the slightly different tint of gray. Can you make it a bit stronger by using different lights in Blender?Actually pure gray that is used in original sprites (including vehicles) cannot be correct. Arrakis is a planet of sand much like Mars so the atmosphere of the planet due to dust will be casting a colored light to every object instead of pure white. See at Nasa Mars images of Curiosity vehicle and you will understand what I mean:

725560main_PIA16764_selfie2ndfincrop_ful

Of course we do not need to overdo it or the game will become dull. Needs balance. And when you can animate the sprites it gives better effects. Example: When repair pad is in operation we have bright lights that turn on, same for starport ;-). So no need for night mode ;-)

Fancy creating some logos for the other factions, e.g. Mercenaries, Smugglers and Fremen?

I made a few that could perhaps fill this purpose. They are created by using the mirroring tool in the GIMP based on the original logos. This gives nice results but makes all the logos symmetric.... which is less nice, because now it are all ice crystals, lol.

Logos:

254vfa8.png

If someone wants the .png or GIMP file of one the logos, just say so.

• Upvote 1

So... you were rendering 3D modelled images and the PS them? Nice :D

Will this be released as an OSP (open source pack) for other people to use the mdoels?

I think I will release some models, but the models is not really the problem. Dune 2000 was made in a time that 3D models weren't that complicated, getting the correct style, reflection, shadow, colour and texture(s), that is more problematic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...