Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind)

HarryCanyon

Anyone seen this brilliant 1984 Japanese animated Sci-fi/fantasy epic from Hayao Miyazaki? i always loved it for years since i was a kid watching it in the terrible 1985 US dubbed butchery from New World Pictures called "Warriors of the Wind" and saw the uncut Japanese language in subtitles version called Nausicaa which i loved at 16 and they really released an awesome brand new uncut version with a better dub by great actors this time and the Japanese language with subs this time.

It's influenced by Star Wars, Frank Herbert's Dune and of course Mad Max at times with some originality thrown in and brilliant ideas including a fantastic music score. Every Dune and Sci-fi fan fan must see this movie.

[colour=#005FFF]Pretty big Studio Ghibli fan, myself. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind ranks highly among my favourite films by them. I agree that there are elements in the film which could be tied to similar aspects in Star Wars, Mad Max and Dune... but I wouldn't say that's where the influence for the manga or the film came from.

To me, the film is more about learning to work together, embracing differences, putting aside hatred borne of misunderstanding and fear. It's an optimistic outlook on a very bad situation; a post-apocalyptic future where an almost sentient and vengeful forest encroaches upon the remnants of humanity. In sharp contrast, however, is the beauty and idyllic peacefulness of the Valley of the Wind and - ironically - the forest and its inhabitants.

Dune was more about politics and beahviour; Star Wars about good and evil. Nausicaä is more about harmony and rebirth; the reminder that the Earth is capable of so much without humanity and that we should never forget that.[/colour]

• 4 weeks later...