Angry Video Game Nerd.

HarryCanyon

I used to watch Sadie's Gaming Infection, but when she left I just wasn't that interested in getting into game review videos anymore. I occasionally make an exception for interesting-looking games that I'll probably never play (i.e., StartCraft II), but I've generally stayed away from hosted gaming shows. One exception is play-throughs. I'm a little addicted to paulsoaresjr's minecraft video set, and I tried to get into some Fallout 3 and NV playthroughs, but I've just been disappointed with those I've seen. I'm half-tempted to see about making my own F3 playthrough, since the one I tried to watch made me want to cry, he sucked so badly.

I used to watch Sadie's Gaming Infection, but when she left I just wasn't that interested in getting into game review videos anymore. I occasionally make an exception for interesting-looking games that I'll probably never play (i.e., StartCraft II), but I've generally stayed away from hosted gaming shows. One exception is play-throughs. I'm a little addicted to paulsoaresjr's minecraft video set, and I tried to get into some Fallout 3 and NV playthroughs, but I've just been disappointed with those I've seen. I'm half-tempted to see about making my own F3 playthrough, since the one I tried to watch made me want to cry, he sucked so badly.

he does comedic reviews of crappy old games.

I have a feeling that some of the people who replied here don't even have an idea who that guy is and just post for some reason anyway. I love the AVGN episodes, I have watched all episodes that are online in GameTrailer.com's ScrewAttack section (http://www.gametrailers.com/screwattack -> AVGN tab) and having played some of the games myself as a kid I sometimes really feel sorry for him going through those usually ubercrappy games (only the NES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy comes to my mind which isn't crappy, just extremely hard). Lately there haven't been that much new episodes though because he's working on a movie if I remember correctly. Anyway... the show is really great and I can only recommend it for some great entertainment, new swear words and a good laugh :)

I have a feeling that some of the people who replied here don't even have an idea who that guy is and just post for some reason anyway. I love the AVGN episodes, I have watched all episodes that are online in GameTrailer.com's ScrewAttack section (http://www.gametrailers.com/screwattack -> AVGN tab) and having played some of the games myself as a kid I sometimes really feel sorry for him going through those usually ubercrappy games (only the NES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy comes to my mind which isn't crappy, just extremely hard). Lately there haven't been that much new episodes though because he's working on a movie if I remember correctly. Anyway... the show is really great and I can only recommend it for some great entertainment, new swear words and a good laugh :)

alot of them seem to think hes a regular review show.......

So, you have a problem with the fact that there are people who haven't experienced x media but somehow have an opinion on something somewhat related posting on an public forum? Or maybe videogame reviews are in no way related to one another. I understand that AVGN has a unique perspective (I'm looking for another word here, but I can't remember what it is) but all popular videogame reviewers do. Otherwise, no one gives a rip.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have a problem with that because I hate it when people say or write about stuff they don't even know. It's one of society's biggest problems: people have opinions and prejudices and are judgemental about everything without even knowing what they are talking about. It's like calling you an asshole without knowing you just so I have said something. Most of the time it's just better to shut up if one has now idea what he/she is talking about. More people should try it and instead talk more about stuff they actually really know something about and can maybe teach to others.

Yes, but how do you develop new opinions without engaging in intelligent discourse? If things were only discussed by "experts" there would be no innovation. You somehow seem to think that topics of discussion should be kept holy and sacrosanct from discussion by the uninitiated. I would daresay that everything interesting that happens on this forum (and granted, I am speaking from a PRP perspective) is due to interactions between people who are knowledgeable and those who are not. One exception is individual fan fiction, which is usually moderated to keep threads from unwanted commentary.

Anyway, this is getting rather silly. I should watch some avgn so that I have a validated opinion... :P

Yes, but how do you develop new opinions without engaging in intelligent discourse? If things were only discussed by "experts" there would be no innovation. You somehow seem to think that topics of discussion should be kept holy and sacrosanct from discussion by the uninitiated. I would daresay that everything interesting that happens on this forum (and granted, I am speaking from a PRP perspective) is due to interactions between people who are knowledgeable and those who are not. One exception is individual fan fiction, which is usually moderated to keep threads from unwanted commentary.

Anyway, this is getting rather silly. I should watch some avgn so that I have a validated opinion... :P

Give it a go, its nothing like any other review show, which is why we can tell if you have watched it based on your post.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I watched some AVGN. Very, very funny. I feel a little lost with some of his stuff because a lot of it is so old (post Atari player, here). It's really interesting just seeing how little the industry really understood gaming back then.

I feel like he over acts sometimes, but that's to be expected for the genre. Honestly sometimes the "story" just pisses me off because I like listening to him play the games and curse, but the characters are obnoxious. For example, see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre review. Or the Friday the 13th review with the retarded children.

Anyway, he's no Dr. Sadie, mostly because he has a penis. That said, I genuinely enjoyed his videos. Thanks guys!