Tupile?

gurneyman

Reread Dune Messiah. Paul intentionally did not use his prescience to seek the location of Tupile.

Hmm, this certainly escaped my attention. But I guess that after Leto II's ascension to the throne, Tupile no longer mattered as the political situation changed under Leto's Peace, right?

Hmm, this certainly escaped my attention. But I guess that after Leto II's ascension to the throne, Tupile no longer mattered as the political situation changed under Leto's Peace, right?

Well, it's certainly never mentioned after Messiah.

Since Tupile represented a last resort, a final escape, it kinda makes sense that Leto would have wanted to eliminate the possibility of it playing that role. (To help turn up the heat in his "pressure cooker".)

Did the Guild ever give up the location of the renegade planet Tupile, where a home could be purchased for a handful of spice?

Tupile could've actually been a group of planets rather than a single planet. Around the Chapterhouse Dune era, the construction of no-planets would've essentially played the same role that Tupile did in the earlier era.

Tupile could've actually been a group of planets rather than a single planet.

That much is known from the Terminology entry. Which actually says parenthetically that it "probably" was. rolleyes.gif

Around the Chapterhouse Dune era, the construction of no-planets would've essentially played the same role that Tupile did in the earlier era.

Really? Are you considering Chapterhouse Planet to be a "no-planet"? Name one other example.

From REAL Dune, not the official fanfic.

I have often thought that was a stupid premise in 'Hunters', to have a no-planet such as the one that Duncan' ship landed upon. It would require far too much energy.

Precisely the point FH made.

I forget... was there any explanation of how the no-field of that planet was powered? (I'll check later myself, if no one answers.)

I agree with SandChig on this one. I found it to be sad that Brian and Kevin introduced what has been called Rikka's Planet [the entire planet that was protected by a no-shield] in 'Hunters', simply based on Duncan and Bellonda's conversation. How could such a field be possible, especially by Honored Matres? It isn't.

But it's still only character supposition. wink.gif

(Ouch! Ain't it a b*tch when that one comes back to bite?)

Whatever advances had been made out in The Scattering over fifteen centuries, the people there weren't gods.

Character supposition is it? Then the issue of the impossibility of no-planets also appears to be a supposition that Bellonda makes (via erlebte Rede) rather than a third-person omniscient narrative perspective. In any event, the need of such planetary cloaking devices was indicated by the moat of no-ships surrounding Chapterhouse and such defensive systems would've undoubtedly been attempted in the Scattering.

Character supposition is it? Then the issue of the impossibility of no-planets also appears to be a supposition that Bellonda makes (via erlebte Rede) rather than a third-person omniscient narrative perspective. In any event, the need of such planetary cloaking devices was indicated by the moat of no-ships surrounding Chapterhouse and such defensive systems would've undoubtedly been attempted in the Scattering.

word is born...

One aspect of The Scattering that I have always disliked, is the "anything is possible in the 1500 years of The Scattering..." mentality. Even though we know that it wasn't even a millenium and a half long, since the first part of the 1500 years were The Famine Times.

One aspect of The Scattering that I have always disliked, is the "anything is possible in the 1500 years of The Scattering..." mentality. Even though we know that it wasn't even a millenium and a half long, since the first part of the 1500 years were The Famine Times.

I won't argue with that but certainly many advances must have been made in the scattering considering they weren't necessarily limited by the proscriptions of the Butlerian Jihad. In regard to the planetary no-field Mies Teg initially was able to glimpse, and then show the others, it certainly wasn't perfected by any means.

In 'Hunters', Brian and Kevin had the planetary no-field as perfected. It was only a Scourge-carrying probe that killed the Matres.

I think an explanation of how that planetary field was possible, would have greatly elevated that section of 'Hunters'.

I am definitely not of the historical opinion that chaos breeds an increase of technology. The field of medicine did not recover for over a thousand years after the Western Roman Empire was overrun.

To say that a group of humans fleeing from the mass starvation of The Famine Times, could create a planet-wide no-field, is almost irresponsible on Brian and Kevin's part.