Movies similar to Dune books and movies.

HarryCanyon

Basically, every scifi franchise that involves the rise of a single, male messianic figure belongs here as well.

Which makes one wonder how much sense there is in such lists. Dune is not about how a guy with superpowers saves the world - in fact, one of the main messages Frank built his book around is how bad it is when there's a guy with superpowers who says, "Hey, let's go kick some major butt - for great justice!" - and people follow.

Iron Man (it involves deserts... and stuff ;) )

Well, Iron Man and Batman aren't people with superpowers - they are just people with super advanced technology at their disposal.

People like when the so-called under-dog wins. It makes people feel like they have a chance at winning.

Having said that, I'm not sure how the ducal heir of a major House in a Galactic Imperium, Paul Atreides, is so everyday. I think that the fact that Paul had to marry Irulan for Landsraad purposes, illustrates the fact that he could not marry a commoner like Chani.

Is that the one with the giant mechanical head flying around, leaving a vapor trail? Or was that something else?

I don't remember vapor trails, particularly, but yes. There's a giant head that says, "The gun is good, the penis is evil" and vomits shotguns. It's actually very much worth watching; it's just not a good movie.

How about comparing The Matrix to Dune? same thing, i mean both have outcasts in strange exotic worlds and have been fortold in prophecies to become Kwistaz Haderechs.

Come on, Harry, you're so close... you KNOW you want to ask it again: Neo or Paul, Harry, Neo or Paul! Go on, Harry, give in to the Dark Side and ask it. You'll feel so much better, believe me! :D

(And: Kwisatz Haderach.

Teach the words to your spellchecker once,

And never again need fear looking the dunce.)

Zardoz i haven't seen in a long time since i was a kid.

How about comparing The Matrix to Dune? same thing, i mean both have outcasts in strange exotic worlds and have been fortold in prophecies to become Kwistaz Haderechs.

rofl-lol.gif

Was there a messiah/mahdi-type prophecy in Avatar?

The Na'vi had the toruk makto legend/tradition, but according to the Avatar Wikia, the toruk makto is "a Na'vi individual who successfully manages to ride a Great Leonopteryx (Na'vi: toruk)" and there had only been five such individuals in the past, but I don't remember there being anything about a prophecy.

Am I just forgetting it? (As I posted in the other thread, I've just seen it once so far.)

Either way, the toruk makto was hardly equivalent to a Kwisatz Haderach. rolleyes.gif

Preciously! Afterall Cameron adores the Dune books, Jake has became the Na'vi's own Kwistaz Haderach and might have powers in the sequel.

Other Dune similarities in Matrix are The Oracle being the same as Reverend Mother Mohiam on fortelling the prophecy of the chosen one, the Agents are like the Harkonnens even Agent Smith being like Baron Vladmire, Morpheus is like Stigar and Gurney in one body and Trinity is like Chani with the human race being like the Freman against the A.I. machines. Even in the third movie Neo got blind but can still see.

After all Dune inspired pop culture.

Preciously!

Oh, how sweet of you to say so! If only you'd meant that, though, and not "precisely". rolleyes.gif

Afterall Cameron adores the Dune books, Jake has became the Na'vi's own Kwistaz Haderach and might have powers in the sequel.

I'm sorry, but that's just... stupid. There's been no mention by Cameron that I've seen of any such "powers". Do you have a link for that? (Or is this more nonsense like your "four-part project" posts?) One of the things I personally liked about Avatar was that everything had a materialistic explanation. (Even the Eywa "deity" was a form of consciousness created by the interconnections of the Pandoran biosphere, which made the planet like a giant brain. There was no magic or superpowers in Avatar. The Na'vi had no "souls": their consciousnesses were simply transferred from their bodies to the greater "brain" of the biosphere.) "KWISATZ Haderach" has a specific meaning in the context of Dune; it doesn't translate into anything in the Avatar story or universe. Jake Sully wasn't the result of generations of breeding ... there is no equivalent of the Bene Gesserit. (I suppose you could say that his Na'vi body is the result of an intentional genetic experiment, but again, that's reaching.) It just doesn't hold up.

Other Dune similarities in Matrix are The Oracle being the same as Reverend Mother Mohiam on fortelling the prophecy of the chosen one, the Agents are like the Harkonnens even Agent Smith being like Baron Vladmire, Morpheus is like Stigar and Gurney in one body and Trinity is like Chani with the human race being like the Freman against the A.I. machines. Even in the third movie Neo got blind but can still see.

Whatever.

After all Dune inspired pop culture.

NO?! rolleyes.gif

How 5th Element is similar to Dune is that both have a supreme being made every century, Leeloo is a female Kwistaz Haderach is her mission to save the galaxy, the stones are very much like the spice, the Mandochewans are like the Spacing Guild, both have desert mythology with aliens, and even Zorg is similar to the Baron.

Even the IMDB recommendations put on the 2 Dune movies on their suggestions Fifth Element.