Voyage of the Dawn Treader

ErasOmnius

Time for a Semitic Origins lesson: ;-)

Narnia: The land between two rivers or beside a river. n.h.r.i.n. See Strabo 227 for Narnia between Nar and Tiberis rivers. Similarly the land between Tigris and Euphrates is called Mesopotamia (meso = middle, potamia = rivers ) and Nahrina or Nahreina or Narina.

Similarly from Nahrouania > Narouania > Narvounia > Narbonne. See Strabo 181, 182.

Nireus, son of Poseidon and Canace or son of Pontus and Earth is the God of the waters of the sea. His daughters were called Nireides.

From Nireides > ... > Neraides (Greek name for the nymphs of the waters on earth: ponds, rivers, springs).

Nerioum from ancient Greek Nerion, a plant, which even though adapts to various environments, loves water and flourishes at the riversides.

The Pelasgic root is n.h.r. and means I flow (flow is reo in Greek. Ηere we also get the origin of run an inversion of n,r and the derivative river too.) in abundance, in active form: I make to flow in abundance water or blood. As noon: The abundantly flowing water or blood, the big river (Nar as a name for rivers is found in many countries over all the world-see wikipedia or google it) , the man who makes to flow the blood of the enemy aka the brave warrior. Nero (name) is a derivative of Nar meaning the latter definition. According to John the Lydus the name Nero is of Sabinic origin. Needless to add that the modern Greek word for water is nero.

The plural is a.n.h.a.r. or anhour(ou) > ... > Anauros: a small river which when Jason crossed it he lost his sandal.

The dual form is n.h.r.i.n. (nahrin, narin, nahrein) in all ancient Semitic languages.

Water, vasser, ύδωρ (idor in ancient Greek) comes from the root o.d.r. (odour, oudour, idour)-note the r. Irregular plural form is o.d.v.r. and Regular plural form is o.d.r.tou from which we also get the Greek idrotas (sweat. Interestingly sweat gives an unpleasant odour ;-) )

Time for a Semitic Origins lesson: ;-)

Narnia: The land between two rivers or beside a river. n.h.r.i.n. See Strabo 227 for Narnia between Nar and Tiberis rivers. Similarly the land between Tigris and Euphrates is called Mesopotamia (meso = middle, potamia = rivers ) and Nahrina or Nahreina or Narina.

Similarly from Nahrouania > Narouania > Narvounia > Narbonne. See Strabo 181, 182.

Nireus, son of Poseidon and Canace or son of Pontus and Earth is the God of the waters of the sea. His daughters were called Nireides.

From Nireides > ... > Neraides (Greek name for the nymphs of the waters on earth: ponds, rivers, springs).

Nerioum from ancient Greek Nerion, a plant, which even though adapts to various environments, loves water and flourishes at the riversides.

The Pelasgic root is n.h.r. and means I flow (flow is reo in Greek. Ηere we also get the origin of run an inversion of n,r and the derivative river too.) in abundance, in active form: I make to flow in abundance water or blood. As noon: The abundantly flowing water or blood, the big river (Nar as a name for rivers is found in many countries over all the world-see wikipedia or google it) , the man who makes to flow the blood of the enemy aka the brave warrior. Nero (name) is a derivative of Nar meaning the latter definition. According to John the Lydus the name Nero is of Sabinic origin. Needless to add that the modern Greek word for water is nero.

The plural is a.n.h.a.r. or anhour(ou) > ... > Anauros: a small river which when Jason crossed it he lost his sandal.

The dual form is n.h.r.i.n. (nahrin, narin, nahrein) in all ancient Semitic languages.

Water, vasser, ύδωρ (idor in ancient Greek) comes from the root o.d.r. (odour, oudour, idour)-note the r. Irregular plural form is o.d.v.r. and Regular plural form is o.d.r.tou from which we also get the Greek idrotas (sweat. Interestingly sweat gives an unpleasant odour ;-) )

Wow, that took a lot of work, and you did a good job. Reminds me of being back in the day at the University 25+ years ago, at the Linguistics branch of the History Dept. Is that your area of study?

Did you see the movie or read the book?

[c=#00dd00]I saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader a couple of days ago. This was always my least favourite Narnia book, because the plot is very weak, and the problem carried over into the movie. The story seems like a bunch of short, mostly unrelated adventures on various islands.

Having said that, the movie was still fun and enjoyable, and I was very happy that they included Aslan's line at the end where he says that he has a different name in our world and the children should learn to know him by that name. It's the most direct reference to Christ in the Narnia series.

I'm really looking forward to the next movie. The Silver Chair is much better than both Dawn Treader and Prince Caspian. The part where the Green Witch tries to persuade the protagonists that neither Aslan nor the Sun really exist is a brilliant swipe at atheism. And I love how Puddleglum breaks the spell by saying "I am on Aslan's side even if there is no Aslan to lead it!"[/c]

Ah, and I was hoping the series had become more secular after the first, and was actually thinking of watching it.

I cannot seem to find it online, but I seem to remember that somewhere in the Bible it mentions that mens hearts would be hardened against the word of the Lord, or something very similar. I think this is the boat that I am in: I really have no interest in hearing about how lack of personal faith is stupid and wrong, and that a rational mind accepts the existence of a... well... yeah. From what I understand, C. S. Lewis was a brilliant man, but I have no interest in seeing something that is so clearly a propaganda film.

I may reread the first book at some point, and then I may be prepared to see the films. But it's just not happening for me now. I would be so angered by the propaganda aspect as to be unable to enjoy the story.

[c=#00dd00]Propaganda? No, not at all. Other than that line I mentioned, the only other Christian thing in Voyage of the Dawn Treader is an overarching theme about resisting temptation. But that's such a common theme in Western literature that it can hardly count as Christian propaganda.[/c]

[c=#00dd00]I wonder in what order they will do the remaining movies. The Silver Chair is obviously next, but then what? The Magician's Nephew? The Horse and His Boy? Speaking of which, THHB requires adult Pevensies ruling as kings and queens of Narnia. Will they bring back the four people who played them for a few minutes at the end of the first movie? And TMN requires Jadis the White Witch as the main antagonist, so it's no wonder they gave her a cameo in every movie so far - they need to keep the actress around, I guess.

And then at the end they need to do The Last Battle, which requires all the children from previous movies... so they'd better hurry. Kids grow up quickly.[/c]