What hardware are you going to buy in 2011?

veK

It will be interesting to see whether having a virtual hardrive of information stored in "the cloud" will be the next big thing.

Well, for me. That moment will be 'never'. Aside from the fact that I can set up my own 'cloud' storage. I prefer the nostalgia of a bookshelf over the public library. Shared storage has it's advantages. I think we will always have the need for both.

Well, for me. That moment will be 'never'. Aside from the fact that I can set up my own 'cloud' storage. I prefer the nostalgia of a bookshelf over the public library. Shared storage has it's advantages. I think we will always have the need for both.

Amen.

• 2 months later...

Bought a nice little access point. Apparently the UN has held an deployment test recently where the same models have been used to test the emergency roll-out of communication networks in hostile environments. The additional antenna's and WLAN controller will arrive next week.

IMG_0136.JPG

edit:

One airport fitted with the additional antenna's. 3 for 2.4GHz en 3 for 5GHz. The delivery date for the controller has been set back to the first week of September.

IMG_0149.JPG

Next to that a nice little stylus for my iPad.

IMG_0132.JPG

Business can be war to. :-)

I am going to deploy them in our main office and warehouse. They will be primarily used for our logistic process (unloading and loading trucks, preparing shippings and packages to customers directly). These AP's have to support that even with 2/3 of them disabled.

Besides that. I am a network guy and just loved this excuse to buy them. :-)

Just waiting on the WLAN controller so I can put them in use. Should be arriving by the end of this week.

• Upvote 1

In the last week i purchased my first hdtv - 32 inch panasonic for my back room since TV is going digital soon. I like it very much. Bought a Philips upconverting DVD player with usb capabilities. USB works well but the picture from it is not as good as using my playbook. Bought a Belkin Playmax router since it was on sale for less than half price and my current router cannot support the number of wireless devices in my house and cuts out every 5 minutes. Bought a 2005 Toyota Matrix to replace my trashed Ion. Only put a couple hundred kilometers on it but it is nice to drive and has the storage I need for my fiances medical equipment without the gas guzzling horribleness of a SUV.

This Sat getting an estimate of replacing my fireplace with a stove insert and watching for stoves to go on sale.

It is an expensive month.

• 2 months later...

So hard drive prices have almost doubled in 2 weeks due to flooding in Thailand. Will be 6 months to 1 year before back to normal.

Maybe this will get more people to use SSD.

I really hope none of my HDD die, because no way I'm spending $150 for 1tb.