DuneMaps v.64 Released

segra

Hey Guys,

After being rather bored a couple of weeks ago, i decided it was time to build a scenario editor for Dune2. So here it is smile.png

Its built using c++ with WxWidgets and SDL, and uses an old OD2 revision for the scenario loading / map drawing. I've only provided a Windows executable, and have not yet attempted compiling on any other system. But its all generic code and shouldn't have any trouble compiling anywhere WxWidgets/SDL will go.

Amiga and PC Scenario INIs are supported, however everything saves to the PC format at present (note, it will not save into PAKs, even if you load a scenario from one).

some controls that can be used but may not be obvious at first,

* You can zoom in and out by using the mouse scroll wheel

* right clicking on units.structures.terrain will provide a menu offering the various types of modifications which can be made to them (add spice field/bloom, rotate unit, set start actions, delete)

* Window is re-sizable

I think the editor has everything required to build a complete scenario, but please, let me know if you see something thats missing or find something that doesnt work quite right

http://dunemaps.sourceforge.net/

P.S. its fun creating a new scenario and typing in random numbers to checkout how the map looks lol

Woooah! Does this have a fully working seed generator too, with Spice fields?

Yeah its got both :)

if you right click on sand/spice you can add blooms, fields and the specials

If you would like, i can upload my hacked up dune2.exe which allows for quick testing (so you can see if the maps match up, etc), its got the intro removed, and theres no fog of war (its very similar to OD2 actually)

Once I put my Dune files in the folder and launch it, it crashes on startup.

With the 1.07 HitSquad or US 1.07 files:

The instruction at 0x00418c75" referenced memory at 0x00000020. the memory could not be "read".

With the 1.07 EU files:

The instruction at 0x0042c446" referenced memory at 0x0000000c. the memory could not be "read".

PS: your GNU license doesn't have 0D 0A newlines. Open the file in Wordpad and save it to fix that.

Dunno why, but I can't launch it. It gives me an error message telling me it can't find "entrance point" in kernel32.dll :(

hmm, which version of Windows are you running? and did you install the visual c++ 2010 runtime thats included? (comes up at end of installer)

Once I put my Dune files in the folder and launch it, it crashes on startup.

With the 1.07 HitSquad or US 1.07 files:

The instruction at 0x00418c75" referenced memory at 0x00000020. the memory could not be "read".

With the 1.07 EU files:

The instruction at 0x0042c446" referenced memory at 0x0000000c. the memory could not be "read".

PS: your GNU license doesn't have 0D 0A newlines. Open the file in Wordpad and save it to fix that.

hmm, ive included the data im using to this post, give it a try and see how it goes

data.zip

Same result... that seems to be the HitSquad version.

All of your files were identical to the HS ones I used, besides a smalll difference in the exe, apparently. Something that seems to be NOPed out in yours. Is that the botched up cd check thing?

Same result... that seems to be the HitSquad version.

All of your files were identical to the HS ones I used, besides a smalll difference in the exe, apparently. Something that seems to be NOPed out in yours. Is that the botched up cd check thing?

ok, pretty sure thats fixed.. so im posting an update to the site now

id guess and say its the cd check, but that wont matter anyway.. it only uses data from the exe

Not sure, I haven't updated in a long time...

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/526821/executables-built-with-visual-c-2010-do-not-run-on-windows-xp-prior-to-sp2

Apparently it wont work with anything less than SP2, if your really against updating I guess this could be solved by compiling with visual studio 2008, however I dont have it installed since i formatted a couple of weeks ago...

you know much about compiling? i may be able to walk you through it :)

if not i could probably setup a VM and do it

Heh, I'm not really against updating, it's just that I haven't been able to bring myself about to do it yet, being busy with lots of other stuff to do lately. Don't bother with compiling a separate compatible version, hopefully I'll get an update ASAP :)

lol 'hopefully' ;)