Dune: War of the Spice

ccgx

That picture of the Harkonnen Aggressor Tank reminds me of the Triple Tank from WargameX .

Is this tank going to be an anti Combat Tank?

What kind of game are you creating? Text based or a mod for another game?

It kinda intrigues me because so far it looks cool, so count me in for beta testing. Just PM me when it starts.

That picture of the Harkonnen Aggressor Tank reminds me of the Triple Tank from WargameX .

Is this tank going to be an anti Combat Tank?

Unit page on our website.

What kind of game are you creating? Text based or a mod for another game?

[...]

FAQ on our website.

• 2 weeks later...

We just made the Top 100 in the 2010 Indie Game of the Year award competition, now people can vote for the Top 10. Please go vote for us, we're in the Upcomming section in the Real Time Strategy category. You can vote once from any computer or web-enabled device you have, so log on and have at it!

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2010-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100

Some stuff for FAQ if you like :D

Nice picture of the worm. Will it look like that in the game?

I am also curious about the battle calculations:

What types of armour and damage will there be? Infantry, Trooper, Vehicle, Tank?

Will it be subtractive or multiplying? Or both? Damage - Armour or Damage x Factor vs Armour?

Are there upgrades for units in general, or maybe personal (like a ranking system)?

3D effects on damage and/or range?

Will there be a demo?

Will the game be balance by logic calculations before hand before the beta starts?

Is there an unit cap?

I also kinda hope for a rocket launcher just like in dune2, one that fires over great distance. Instead of one that fires a lot of rockets at short distance. If the Harkonnen won't get this one, maybe the Atreides? The art could be a bit like the one of dune2000, just right before the menu gets shown.

Well, I hope I am not annoying with these questions.

http://rockstorm-games.net/dws/dev-blog/concept-art/

new dev blog!

Some stuff for FAQ if you like :D

Nice picture of the worm. Will it look like that in the game?

I am also curious about the battle calculations:

What types of armour and damage will there be? Infantry, Trooper, Vehicle, Tank?

Will it be subtractive or multiplying? Or both? Damage - Armour or Damage x Factor vs Armour?

Are there upgrades for units in general, or maybe personal (like a ranking system)?

3D effects on damage and/or range?

Will there be a demo?

Will the game be balance by logic calculations before hand before the beta starts?

Is there an unit cap?

I also kinda hope for a rocket launcher just like in dune2, one that fires over great distance. Instead of one that fires a lot of rockets at short distance. If the Harkonnen won't get this one, maybe the Atreides? The art could be a bit like the one of dune2000, just right before the menu gets shown.

Well, I hope I am not annoying with these questions.

too much questions, most of them I cant or just dont want to answer now (;

the worm will be in the game, as good as we can translate this concept to a 3d model (;

too much questions, most of them I cant or just dont want to answer now (;

the worm will be in the game, as good as we can translate this concept to a 3d model (;

That's fairly lazy tbh, you could just add them to your FAQ and then reply he saying that they have been added and for him to check out the answers there.

• 2 weeks later...

That's fairly lazy tbh, you could just add them to your FAQ and then reply he saying that they have been added and for him to check out the answers there.

yeah, but I cant answer the balancing question and the technical questions yet. besides that, he asked a question about the worm which I answered, and he asked about a demo, a thing which I cant and wont approve or deny yet. We are still not any close to balancing or thinking about releasing playable stuff. So no answer is the best I can give.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, but I cant answer the balancing question and the technical questions yet. besides that, he asked a question about the worm which I answered, and he asked about a demo, a thing which I cant and wont approve or deny yet. We are still not any close to balancing or thinking about releasing playable stuff. So no answer is the best I can give.

Understandable answer. Sometimes an answer can only be given after there has been some thought about it.

I have been wandering on your site again. So I got some new questions.

1. When did this project start?

2. I can tell that, including you, there are 8 people working on this. But I wonder about the complexity of this game. The Unreal engine allows wonderful stuff to be made. But it requires a massive amount of knowledge on how the engine exactly works. So my real question would be. With what game can yours be compared? Or better said, like what game will it look like? I am referring here to the (3D) in game graphics, the skin of textures, the feeling of surroundings. If it will be a combination of the Unreal universe with Emperor battle for dune, I and many others would be satisfied.

3. Are the project members working on a full daily basis on this game, or is this a side dish with another job?

Understandable answer. Sometimes an answer can only be given after there has been some thought about it.

I have been wandering on your site again. So I got some new questions.

1. When did this project start?

Officially we started on the 1st january 2010, but we had some preparations at the end of 2009.

2. I can tell that, including you, there are 8 people working on this. But I wonder about the complexity of this game. The Unreal engine allows wonderful stuff to be made. But it requires a massive amount of knowledge on how the engine exactly works. So my real question would be. With what game can yours be compared? Or better said, like what game will it look like? I am referring here to the (3D) in game graphics, the skin of textures, the feeling of surroundings. If it will be a combination of the Unreal universe with Emperor battle for dune, I and many others would be satisfied.

uff, tough question. graphic-wise we want to compete with currently avaible, or even currently in development RTS-games. we want to have a great detail in our presentation. you can already get an idea of that when you are look at the 2 units we already showed to the public. I think your "unreal plus emperor" is a good target. we want to have high quality graphics and want to give you the feeling you are in the dune universe, no matter on which planet you are currently fighting.

gameplay-wise, we dont target to copy emperor or any previous dune RTS. we want that you feel home playing it, but we also will add some new features. we are creating a gameplay with the idea "Arrakis isnt a kindergarten" in mind.

3. Are the project members working on a full daily basis on this game, or is this a side dish with another job?

side dish, for the whole team. some are working, some are studying, we are creating this whole thing in our spare time.

Great. I like the answers. And it must be a lot of work. Good luck with that.

If I may make a suggestion. With the Unreal universe yet RTS universes in mind. Take a look at how freely you can move the camera in the game Warzone2100. Although the graphics of that time compared to now, it doesn't look good. But the 3D feeling there is in my opinion still one of the best. Emperor battle for dune comes close with 3D view, but has never beaten warzone2100 in my oppinion. Looking at an army with mountains/dunes and even a horizon and weather in the background, it's very rare, almost unique. On top of that, you can select an unit, hit space bar. And you see the direction the unit is facing.

What I am trying to say is, 3D is best seen from all directions. Not just top view and 1 side view. Try to get it like that, players can watch from the "ground". People will love it, if a worm is suddenly towering far above their point of vision.

And if you are at it. Different weapons also mean different capabilities of hitting. A direct strike weapon like a laser, bullet or cannon, will much likely end up in a dune between units. This gives new strategic opportunities. Artillery suddenly get more use full if they can add the advantage of firing over a dune/mountain. Of course they need visibility support if you also add line of vision effects. For more fun, make sure that going up a dune/mountain, reduces speeds.

Indeed, Arrakis isn't supposed to be a kindergarten.

Great. I like the answers. And it must be a lot of work. Good luck with that.

If I may make a suggestion. With the Unreal universe yet RTS universes in mind. Take a look at how freely you can move the camera in the game Warzone2100. Although the graphics of that time compared to now, it doesn't look good. But the 3D feeling there is in my opinion still one of the best. Emperor battle for dune comes close with 3D view, but has never beaten warzone2100 in my oppinion. Looking at an army with mountains/dunes and even a horizon and weather in the background, it's very rare, almost unique. On top of that, you can select an unit, hit space bar. And you see the direction the unit is facing.

What I am trying to say is, 3D is best seen from all directions. Not just top view and 1 side view. Try to get it like that, players can watch from the "ground". People will love it, if a worm is suddenly towering far above their point of vision.

We are planing to have a camera which changes the view angle if you zoom in. if the cam is just above the ground, you will see the horizon. maybe we also implement a freeview camera mode

And if you are at it. Different weapons also mean different capabilities of hitting. A direct strike weapon like a laser, bullet or cannon, will much likely end up in a dune between units. This gives new strategic opportunities. Artillery suddenly get more use full if they can add the advantage of firing over a dune/mountain. Of course they need visibility support if you also add line of vision effects. For more fun, make sure that going up a dune/mountain, reduces speeds.

Indeed, Arrakis isn't supposed to be a kindergarten.

we also have some plans on the weapons (;

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Suggestions, de-motivations, motivations, questions:

- Sorry, I don't like how the Skystriker Tank looks like. I like the Dune2 Missile tank model better, referring to how they look in the building menu, not the in-game looks. I also don't understand the name of this unit, it also hits the ground? Just name it Missile Launcher?

- The basic Combat Tank should be there as well, same like the one in Dune2/Dune2000. I did not like the Emperor Battle For Dune model.

- Base Transporting Vehicle (Name pending) --> Mobile Headquarters? Mobile Outpost? Mobile Command Centre?

- Any thought on the costs for your units? Economics are the most important thing in RTS after combat equations.

- Any thought on possible limitations in number of units? Infinity encourages imbalances.

- Sorry, I cannot program stuff.

- I am hoping on the return of the Ordos APC, Ordos Laser Tank, Atreides Sniper, Atreides Mongoose. They where really fun to play with.

- If the Minotaurus returns, please give it a proper weakness besides of killing it with air. Micro with Laser Tanks did not help much against amass. Perhaps a bit more artillery type, just a bit more range, slower cannon balls for reaching target, slower cool down.

- Atreides APC, could have a Sniper. That would be very unique. (RA2, sniper in IFV, is the only other game I know with a fast sniper)

- Keep up the good work, I am rooting for you.

Suggestions, de-motivations, motivations, questions:

- Sorry, I don't like how the Skystriker Tank looks like. I like the Dune2 Missile tank model better, referring to how they look in the building menu, not the in-game looks. I also don't understand the name of this unit, it also hits the ground? Just name it Missile Launcher?

basicly its a missile launcher, but we want to go away from that boring generic naming scheme. for the skystriker we wanted to go away from a generic, and get a more special, new look.

- The basic Combat Tank should be there as well, same like the one in Dune2/Dune2000. I did not like the Emperor Battle For Dune model.

We dont just recreate dune2/k nor emperor (;

- Base Transporting Vehicle (Name pending) --> Mobile Headquarters? Mobile Outpost? Mobile Command Centre?

We will update the info when we introduce the unit.

- Any thought on the costs for your units? Economics are the most important thing in RTS after combat equations.

some ideas, but that comes with balancing.

- Any thought on possible limitations in number of units? Infinity encourages imbalances.

It's written into our nice gameplay document (;

- Sorry, I cannot program stuff.

to bad. :/

- I am hoping on the return of the Ordos APC, Ordos Laser Tank, Atreides Sniper, Atreides Mongoose. They where really fun to play with.

doesnt look that bad for your wishes (;

- If the Minotaurus returns, please give it a proper weakness besides of killing it with air. Micro with Laser Tanks did not help much against amass. Perhaps a bit more artillery type, just a bit more range, slower cannon balls for reaching target, slower cool down.

again balancing...

- Atreides APC, could have a Sniper. That would be very unique. (RA2, sniper in IFV, is the only other game I know with a fast sniper)

- Keep up the good work, I am rooting for you.

Thanks for your input!