Dune2k - The Ultimate Guide to Multiplayer Game

Digit@l

Hello fellows.

I see questions like “Can this game still be played online?” or “Is it possible to play multiplayer game?” appears periodically.
So in this topic I want to summarize my knowledge on this subject.
Well, I won’t describe the old method concerning IPX/SPX protocol installing & configuring. Cause there are many requirements.

Install Evolve or Tunngle software. LAN Patch for multiplayer game.
For 32&64 bit WinXPVista&7 OS. It's universal, both for 1.02 - 1.06 game versions & it don't modify the game files!
See ReadMe inside & watch video tutorial

You may also use GameRanger to play Dune 2000.
But afaik GameRanger supports 1.02 game version only it's rather lagy unstable way to play Dune2k, especially if more than 2 ppl playing...

For Dune2k & other IPX based games you may use Kali gaming client. No need in VPN software then. Watch video guide here.

You may download portable (without videos, no need to install) 1.06 game here
Those users who properly configured their firewall, Re-prioritized their network adapter, but still have problems connecting with others, may try this great utility - LanGame++

Running your own PvPGN Server

I decided to upload PVPGN server v.1.99 compiled by my friend playtester from old-games.ru forum. It’s console based server, so you have to know/learn server commands.
Making this server to work isn’t a trivial task either. I’am absolutely not the one to ask the questions about how to establish this server. Better visit official site forum.
You will also need WOL components installed to play Dune or C&C via PvPGN.
Anyway, we tested PvPGN server in Dune2k & StarCraft. It works! Anyone who wants to revive Dune2k multiplayer matches may now do so.

Multiplayer match video. 4 players. Intense action. Was held on PvPGN server.

Long Live the Fighters!

Edited by Digit@l
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

OK, so I have Windows XP, I installed Tunngle and joined the Dune 2000 Network and followed the 1st method by copying only the wsock32.dll file into the Dune 2000 (v1.06) game folder.

Both Tunngle & Dune 2000 are unblocked and placed in the Windows exceptions of the Windows Firewall. Do I also need to do any port forwarding (any specific ports) in my modem / router to make this work properly, or will the above steps suffice?

Also, when I run Dune 2000 *.exe (8-bit) this message comes up:

DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch

Select the network address to use:

The 2nd IP is the local IP of my PC and the 1st, I do not know!

So which one should I choose, or it does not matter?

Also I don't see any people in the Tunngle Dune 2000 network to play with, so if anyone cares for a match, let me know!

Thanks in advance

Do I also need to do any port forwarding (any specific ports) in my modem / router to make this work properly, or will the above steps suffice?

Also, when I run Dune 2000 *.exe (8-bit) this message comes up

DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch

Select the network address to use:

The 2nd IP is the local IP of my PC and the 1st, I do not know!

So which one should I choose, or it does not matter?

1. Tunngle default port is 11155, it have to be open, or you may not see all users/gamers in the game room. I already gave a link on Tunngle Troubleshooting Thread in my post above.

2. If only you don't experience screen distorsion you should use 16 bit colour mode.

3. 7.9.157.229 is your Tunngle virtual IP. So you have to choose it.

And the last, Dune2k isn't so popular nowadays, that's why you don't see any people in the Tunngle Dune 2000 network...

what i need to connect to server?

What server are you asking about? Don't you read my 1st post? YOU may be a server. Just download Hamachi or Tunngle software & install. Using Hamachi you may create your own network with up to 16 users in free version. Invite your friends, apply patch enabling LAN & .reg file accordingly to your OS & you are ready to play. In Tunngle you just have to create account, login & enter Dune2k game room, tell your friends to join the same room & apply one of two methods enabling LAN Whether you will use Hamachi or Tunngle, you have to re-prioritize your network adapter order. If you are going to use Hamachi, its adapter must be on top in Adapters & Bindings. Same for Tunngle. I already gave a link on Hamachi gaming guide & Tunngle Troubleshooting Thread in my 1st message.

OK, so I’ll sum things up.

This is exactly what I did to get Dune 2000 multiplayer working on Windows XP & Hamachi (Vista & 7 will work just fine too!), without having to install IPX protocol in the Lan adapters and without having to open any ports or port-forwarding what so ever in the modem / router.

1. Install any version of Hamachi from here:

http://filehippo.com/download_hamachi/

Join the following Networks where most people play on right now:

Network Name: dune2011net

pass: dune

Network Name: Dune 2000 IPX

pass: 2000

To organize your matches & chat with any one of the users, right click on the username and choose "chat..."

Or to chat in the main network with all the users at the same time, right click on “dune2011net" (example) and choose "Open Chat Window"

Please note that the later version of Hamachi (V2.0.3.89) don't have sound notification turned on by default when a new message arrives, so you should do the following in order to see messages from other users who are trying to invite you for a match.

In the main Hamachi window go to:

System > Preferences > Settings > Chat Settings:

When new Message Arrives = Show the Chat Window

Play a sound when new IM arrives = Yes

2. Download and unpack the files needed (DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch) to bypass the need for the ancient IPX protocol from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9043120/Dune2k%20Files.7z

Unpack and Copy them into your Dune 2000 game folder.

WinXP users will only need to copy wsock32.dll.

Win Vista & Win 7 users will have to put all the files into your Dune 2000 game folder & apply the respective .reg file accordingly with your Operating System.

(Run WinVista&7 ipx x32.reg for Win Vista & Win 7 32bit)

(Run WinVista&7 ipx x64.reg for Win Vista & Win 7 64bit)

3. Update Dune 2000 to version 1.06 (I use the (English – US) version and seems to work fine) from here:

http://dune2k.com/Downloads/13

4. Re-prioritize your network adapter order in Windows. Hamachi adapter must be on top in Adapters & Bindings:

WinXP: Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings -> Adapters and Bindings -> Move Hamachi up 1st on the list.

WinVista: Start -> Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Network Connections - Adanced -> Advanced Settings -> Adapters and Bindings -> Move Hamachi up 1st on the list.

Or...

WinVista: Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections -> Manage network Connections -> Organize -> Menu -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings will give Network Adapters & Bindings Order

Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center, then, on the left side panel, click on 'Change adapter settings'. Now press Alt, click on Advanced > Advanced Settings and put Hamachi at the top of the list.

5. Setup exceptions for Hamachi & Dune 2000 in Windows firewall & 3rd party firewalls. Or Disable Windows Firewall and any 3rd Party firewalls.

Also, disable the SPI firewall in your modem / router.

6. Start Dune 2000 -> DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch -> select the hamachi network IP address:

Choose the IP corresponding to hamachi (The virtual IP 5.75.x.x, you see in the hamachi client / interface) and not your local lan card IP (192.168.x.x)

7. Once Dune 2000 starts -> Go to Multiplayer Game -> Lan -> Lobby... and join any existing match or create and host your own by pressing “New” (You should see the other players in the lobby)

Please note the following!!:

A few more things you should do to maximize the performance

Uninstall IPX protocol from any of your Lan Adapters including from the virtual Hamachi adapter (If you had all ready installed it prior to this) and restart your PC.

Don’t use ALT+TAB while playing Dune2k, it will lead to sensible lags for all players & later connection lose with that user.

Also to reduce the in-game lags and slow downs you should do this:

http://www.logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Ga...igh_ping_issues

Lag/High ping issues

If your game lags there are a few things you can try:

1.Ensure you aren`t downloading/uploading anything and that Windows isn`t downloading/installing updates;

2.Get a faster internet connection;

3.If you have a multi-core CPU, open Task Manager > click on the `Processes` tab, find `Hamachi.exe` (Vista users should tick `Show processes from all users` and make sure they have admin rights!) and right click on it > Set affinity... and use only CPU0 (untick the others).

You`ll have to set the affinity every time you start your PC!

The same way should work for Tunngle too, however you’ll have to open port 11155 and port forward it to your local PC Lan IP 192.168.x.x in your Modem / Router.

P.S.

Here are a few older Hamachi Networks for anyone that wants to try joining are:

Network name: Dune-2k Networks

Passw: dune

Network name: dune2k-2008

Pass: 2008

Network name: Dune 2000 Server

pass: Arrakis

Network name: Dune2009

pass: Dune

Network Name : volk-ss

pass : 123

Network Name:

Troy 1

Troy 2

Troy 3

etc...

pass: 1234

Network Name: Dune2000Server

Pass: dune

Network Name: Dune 2000 Server 3

Network Name: Dune 2000 Server 4

Network Name: THE IX

Pass: lolz

Network Name: dune-bagalx

For a whole lot more info on Dune multiplayer online gaming, you can find in the following site / forum:

http://forum.dune2k.com

And in this thread in specific:

http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?/topic/2...ltiplayer-game/

Also look through this guide about Hamachi gaming:

http://www.logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Gaming

& Tunngle Troubleshooting Thread if you have questions/troubles:

http://www.tunngle.net/community/topic/884...-and-solutions/

So that was that!

The spice must flow!

does it require hosts file change? i mean its nessecary to put tunngle ip in host file

You don’t have to change anything in windows hosts file.

1. Install Hamachi 2.0.3.89

6. Start Dune 2000 8 Bit Graphics

Doesn't matter which Hamachi version to use. Choose any you like from 1.0.1.5 to latest.

Dune2k works in 16-bit graphics color mode by default. Therefore, if you will change it to 8-bit & other users will play in 16-bit by default it will lead to game desynchronization & further possibly, connection lose… Last time we played 3p game, me & Ubunt lost connection with you couple of times, but still were able to continue playing without you in game. That might because of you were using 8-bit mode & we were using default - 16-bit one.

AFAIK, by using TCP-COM software, you will be able to play 2p game only, if you are lucky. So this method is inconvenient & outdated, IMHO.

Btw, everything you wrote about initial Hamachi config & even more, was already described in Hamachi gaming guide a link on which I gave in my 1st post. But you did a fine job for lazy users at least. wink.gif

One more thing, fellows, don’t use ALT+TAB while playing Dune2k, it will lead to sensible lags for all players & later connection lose with that user.

PS. Long Live The Fighters!

• 1 month later...

I created a new network in case any one wants to join:

Network ID: dune2011net

Also this one by Digit@l:

Network ID: Dune 2000 IPX

P.S.

Here are a few older Hamachi Networks for anyone that wants to try joining are:

Network name: Dune-2k Networks

Passw: dune

Network name: dune2k-2008

Pass: 2008

Network name: Dune 2000 Server

pass: Arrakis

Network name: Dune2009

pass: Dune

Network Name : volk-ss

pass : 123

Network Name:

Troy 1

Troy 2

Troy 3

etc...

pass: 1234

Network Name: Dune2000Server

Pass: dune

Network Name: Dune 2000 Server 3

Network Name: Dune 2000 Server 4

Network Name: THE IX

Pass: lolz

Network ID: Dune 2000 TCP-IP

• 1 month later...

Can I ask a quick question? do you still need the ipx protocol installed in the networks? Also I have hamachi installed but there is no LAN available when I run Dune 2000. So I think that I don't have the patch in the right place or am running the dune exe from the wrong place. I am not sure what this means in the explanation..."Start Dune 2000 -> DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch -> select the network address to use:" I am running XP THANKS

Can I ask a quick question? do you still need the ipx protocol installed in the networks? Also I have hamachi installed but there is no LAN available when I run Dune 2000. So I think that I don't have the patch in the right place or am running the dune exe from the wrong place. I am not sure what this means in the explanation..."Start Dune 2000 -> DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch -> select the network address to use:" I am running XP THANKS

The reason you're not seeing LAN available is because you have not copied the patch in the right place.

As described above, no you do not need to install IPX protocol in your lan card / network.

All you need is to do is download and unpack in your dune 2000 game folder “c:\games\dune2000\“ (example) this file: "wsock32.dll" from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9043120/Dune2k%20Files.7z

Once you do that you simply start dune2000.exe ...("Start Dune 2000") and then a window of the directplay UDPtoIPX patch will come up ("DirectPlay UDPtoIPX patch"), where you'll have to select your hamachi IP address "5.75.x.x...("select the network address to use:")

Then follow the above steps I posted above.

OK - GREAT - Thanks, that worked. Now I have another small problem. I can start a game, and the other computer can see it, but when I try to start the game it says on the server computer "error with network". Do you think that is a firewall problem? thanks for the help

OK - GREAT - Thanks, that worked. Now I have another small problem. I can start a game, and the other computer can see it, but when I try to start the game it says on the server computer "error with network". Do you think that is a firewall problem? thanks for the help

I don't quite understand. This message: "error with network", where exactly do you see it? In the Dune2000 lobby or in the hamachi window?

This solution of hamachi, direct play patch & dune2000 is not 100%. There are quite a few of bugs and sometimes while you play online, the game might freeze or disconnect all together and an error message in windows XP will come up (Like the one you describe), but the only thing you can do about that is restart hamachi & dune and try again.

As for the firewall, of course you must place exceptions for both hamachi & Dune2000 in order for it to work properly, or disable the firewall all together.

Likewise if you have an SPI firewall in your modem / router, you should disable that also.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a new network on Hamachi for old top players who would like to play dune again, the network is "Dune2000 1.06" with no pass

Anyone can join, but beware the channel is limited to 15 people, so I delete any inactive nicknames. Should you decide to be more active, feel free to join again.

• 1 month later...

Ill attempt to have a GUI frontend made by someone to make it easier to use. If I am successfully I will host a server on my VPS.

We tested it on a virtual machine with windows server 2003. I would add that refuses to work on the NAT server d2k: (That is, if the server is behind a NAT, you'll have to look for unconventional ways to connect to it.

We tested it on a virtual machine with windows server 2003. I would add that refuses to work on the NAT server d2k: (That is, if the server is behind a NAT, you'll have to look for unconventional ways to connect to it.

Why would you run any server behind a NAT?