The Tablet Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Bell Aliant is selling Samsung Galaxy Tab for $650 no contract.

Data plan is essentially $35 a month for 5gb.

Reading the pdf file user guide is somewhat helpful to learn more about them. direct pdf link

Hmm, thinkfree office. Is it possible to use openoffice? or can thinkfree handle large complex spreadsheets?

Kinda expensive, especially when you can get Samsung Galaxy S phone for $500 no contract.

$650 can get a nice laptop.

Bell Aliant is selling Samsung Galaxy Tab for $650 no contract.

Data plan is essentially $35 a month for 5gb.

Reading the pdf file user guide is somewhat helpful to learn more about them. direct pdf link

Hmm, thinkfree office. Is it possible to use openoffice? or can thinkfree handle large complex spreadsheets?

Kinda expensive, especially when you can get Samsung Galaxy S phone for $500 no contract.

$650 can get a nice laptop.

Its competing with the Ipad, which consumers obviously couldn't care less about value when purchasing.

Motorola is set to announce dual core 7 AND ten inch HONEYCOMB tablets at CES this January. Alternatively, rumours from RIM are that the 7" playbook will not be released until March, meaning Motorola may actually release their dual core tablet BEFORE RIM.

I really think RIM blew it here. What was a fantastic tablet in October 2010 is going to be run of the mill March 2011. If this got out in Jan I woulda bought it right away, depending on reviews. But going up against a 10" dual core honeycomb tablet (for all RIM's bragging about multi tasking it is still limited - programs run in the background but that's it. Honeycomb supports split screen with two apps running at once), unless the reviews are terrible, the price is too high, and there is no wifi only version, I can't see myself choosing the playbook over a 10" honeycomb tablet with similar specs and Androids app selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Asus has announced 4 new tablets, one of which is a monster of a device (priced accordingly) coming out this month and the other three are April, May, June. They are dual core devices, 10 and 7 inchs, built in keyboards or detachable keyboards. Priced $399 - $799. So equivalent (or superior) devices and prices to the Playbook. Motorola and HP are announcing new tablets at CES.

If RIM doesn't release their device at least 2 months before these other tablets they will likely ahve lost thier sale to me.

In another note I finally got to use a Galaxy Tab. Pretty cool. Showed me 7 inchs is actually a decent size - easier to type on than an ipad and still big enough to web surf comfortably.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So ipad2 is out, and not much talk about Android tablets. There is the XOOM, but I think concensus is that it is more expensive than ipad.

My local cell carriers are only selling Samsung galaxy tab, but at $650, no way I'm paying that much. Also I think only single core 1.2ghz. By end of year they should be selling dual core smartphones.

meh.

I finally broke down and ordered an iPad using my research budget. (I got the WiFi/non-G3 version so it would fall under the limit of what's considered "disposable goods" vs "permanent uni equipment", meaning it's basically mine to keep.)

So far I've just been using it to do a little Web surfing and reading Kindle book samples from Amazon. At this point it's still just a novelty for me. FWIW.

I finally broke down and ordered an iPad using my research budget. (I got the WiFi/non-G3 version so it would fall under the limit of what's considered "disposable goods" vs "permanent uni equipment", meaning it's basically mine to keep.)

So far I've just been using it to do a little Web surfing and reading Kindle book samples from Amazon. At this point it's still just a novelty for me. FWIW.

You get ipad1 or ipad2? ipad2 supposed to be much better according to anandtech review, and as far as I know similar prices. EDIT: checked your post date, so probably ipad1.

MOTOROLA XOOMâ„¢ Wi-Fi Tablet

$600 for 32gb, so similar price as ipad/playbook. Dual core, 1gb ram. Available April 15.

Hmm, maybe these prices will drop to $400-500 by end of year. Guess I'll wait and see how everyone likes them. Also a newer android tablet version would be nice, as some say 3.0 was a bit lackluster.

Honeycomb is supposed to be crazy buggy. It was rushed out too fast for the xoom. If you are considering a xoom, wait a bit. Currently, it has a buggy os, a weaker processor than the playbook, less powerful camera, sd card slot doesn't work, and I don't think flash works on it either. The only "advantage" it has over the playbook now that the playbook can use android apps is that it has a 10 inch screen (which makes it a pain to type on compared to a 7 inch tablet) and the sd card slot which doesn't work.

If you are set on an android tablet I'd wait for the next gen galaxy tab.

So, the latest scuttlebut is Motorola is very unhappy with Google and Honeycomb's general crapiness (which is Motorola's own damn fault for releasing the Xoom so early) and the fact that the average person can't really tell one android phone/tablet from another.

Their solution? Ditch android and develop their own mobile/tablet operating systems. Makes me afraid that they might drop the Xoom as their flagship tablet fairly quickly if they go that route.

Crap, the mobile site here really needs an edit option...

Just wanted to add that I went to see a movie tonight and before the film Marc Saltzmen was hawking the playbook and focused on it's use as an e-reader. One of the books prominently displayed on it? Dune. I took that to be a sign.

I hope you have made the right decision Mahdi.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/doa-rim-will-ship-playbook-without-mail-messaging-or-contacts/

PIcture show a Galaxy S and Tab. Both toys at work.

April fools joke? EDIT: hmm, they posted it 11 hours ago which would be very early on the 30th Eastern standard time. Doesn't make sense to run good april fools jokes a full day ahead of schedule.

I'm not sure where you see image or video of both galaxy s and tab at work.

I see it now.

since both made by same manufacturer and basically seem OS, do the two devices interact with each other good? Or what stuff can you do with both? Transfer files (music/video?), stream from one to the other? Share bookmarks from web browser?

Or do you see them as completely different devices that never interact with each other (if so, do they interact with laptop/desktop, maybe have desktop as central server thing where everything gets synced up?)

I haven't linked them together. As they both have options for GSM, WLAN and 3G I don't see the point of linking them to each-other.

The Tab has a almost perfect fit to hold in your hand (compared to an iPad). Just a shame the screen is worthless in that size. To small to comfortably view larger web pages, and to small to view emails in landscape mode. The inbox list takes up to much space. So great size, only not really usable. (my colleague wants one though..)

We are doing remote desktop, Exchange synchronization and some minor stuff so I didn't have time for the cool parts yet. :-) It fails my VPN/remote login tests at this point. I still need some time and the right applications to get that tuned.

Android is not the way to go for me. Feels like going back to RedHat 2.1. It has the potential. You can do/customize everything, then it just doesn't feel like a finished product yet. It's Windows Mobile 1 when we have 7. And I know it will get there. I just don't have the time nor need to start playing from the beginning again.

Overall it's a funny little gadget. If you can get it for about 400 Euro's that would be a good price. 700 however is not. Currently we are using it for email and our corporate Intranet. Does the job nicely. Besides that, films/music and a simple game I wouldn't trade in your desktop just yet. (the iPad is overpriced and without a direct purpose to if you ask me)

The Tab has half the specs of the Playbook or Xoom, it costs more than an ipad, and it runs on a phone OS. It's not a legit contender. The Tab 2, on the other hand...

Re: The Wired article. THAT is a joke. Yes, the playbook is launching without dedicated e-mail inbox, calender, contacts. No, that's not a big reveal. "Leaked document" my ass. This has been known since the very first day in september the tablet was announced, and RIM has actually been using this as a selling feature of the device - selling it as a security feature for companies - to get e-mail, etc on it you bluetooth "bridge" to your phone through an app which allows you access to everything on your phone (system files included) and when you return the tablet to work the moment you turn off your bluetooth on the device or phone or walk twenty feet away your phone is disconnected and all your e-mail etc. disapears from the playbook. No extra data fee's, no security issues.

Hotmail and G-mail already have e-mail apps for it for the regular consumer.

Also, since this is a small laptop, not a big phone, you can always just go to hotmail.com just like on a regular computer.

Finally, all three of those services are coming to the playbook with the release of the 3/4G models since anyone buying them will already be paying for another data plan. The only model without e-mail built in is the wifi, and it will be made available as an option if wifi owners want it once the 3/4G models come out.

Personally, the playbook is not for work, it is for personal use. I don't want my work e-mail on it, although access to all my system files on my phone adds 16 gb of additional music/video storage to my device.

Edit: Well, I guess google isn't the only one collecting your personal info on tablets/phones:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42349281/ns/technology_and_science-security/

Maybe it's a good thing it failed your tests, gryphon....