The Tablet Thread

The OS and almost all Apple software on it can be used in portrait and landscape mode.

Some applications offer more features when in landscape mode.

For all the 3th party applications it's to the developer if the application supports both orientations.

That could get annoying if constantly have to turn ipad if you work with a lot of 'widescreen' content.

Can't say that has bothered me with the iPhone.

I assume the OS can be put in widescreen format.

Yes.

This could be interesting to watch.

That aspect ratio thing still puzzles me though...

Can't say that has bothered me with the iPhone.

Obviously because it's a very small device. :)

No different than my sansa view, where the OS is portrait and playing videos is landscape.

Yes.

This could be interesting to watch.

Would love to, but don't have quicktime on ubuntu.

Funny how they don't want flash, yet still want people to be forced to use quicktime. Guess they havn't upgraded to html5.

That aspect ratio thing still puzzles me though...

Me too. Would the video be stretched? Or just shrinked down to fit properly?

Me too. Would the video be stretched? Or just shrinked down to fit properly?

It's displayed with black bars on top and below. With the option for full screen and ditch the left and right parts.

To be honest I stopped using Adobe products.

(ironically, as a programmer in my team has been recently hired to convert some PHP stuff I did into a new shiny Flex site)

My reason being the lack of support for case-sensitive file systems in Adobe Creative Suite. After purchasing the application set and finding out it can only be installed on non-case-sensitive (WTF?!) UNIX (OSX/HFS, so that answers the fact why CS is not available for Linux) file systems I stopped using Adobe made stuff. We have a special place in the world for people who make software like that....

Apple's iPad - The AnandTech Review

Nice review.

Fingerprint magnet. Apps start at $10. You need to buy overpriced accessories to make the most of it.

So basically you spend $500 minimum to start off, and then could spend >$50 on apps to get stuff done, and then probably $100 in accessories (converter, earphones, case). So it's like the console expense where console has a starting price but then to get any use out of it you end up spending a lot more (2nd controller, memorycard, games, accessories).

Despite every iPad shipping with WiFi, all syncing is still done using a cable and iTunes.

ok. apple fanbois say that wires etc are no fun (when anyone brings up no usb ports etc), yet it can't wirelessly sync.

I'm very impressed to see it can play 720p for 13.6 hours. That number is amazing.

Maybe it will get a lot better when they release new OS for it. And competition will have time to learn from mistakes made with ipad (along with apple when they put out newer version in future).

Buying this would be like buying 1st generation SSD/netbook. Might be nice, but in a year it looks like crap. Only worth buying if you have $1000 to spend to get the most out of it ($500 for device, $500 for accessories/apps).

• 1 month later...

OMG futureshop is starting to sell the ipad!!!

The cheapest version (Apple 16GB iPad With Wi-Fi) only costs $549.99!!

I'm totally gonna buy a bunch of them. ::)

For the same price I could buy $350 netbook, Add 2gb ram for $50, add 60gb SSD for $150 =$550. So 3.75x storage space.  Windows 7 starter + linux available as OS.

And since netbooks come with USB ports I could easily hook up my (currently own): Camera, external hard drive enclosure, usb thumb drive, wireless adapter in case wireless fails on it, sansa view mp3 video player, wireless mouse, keyboard, etc. In order to use ipad I'd have to buy usb converter and there is only one port (I dunno if usb hub would work with ipad).

So basically the ipad would lock me into apple products, having to buy accessories specifically for the ipad, that only work with the ipad. Kinda like how when you buy an xbox/playstattion/wii, when you buy accessories/games, they only work on the one system. You get locked into it.

EDIT:

For $602 (shipping+taxes included) I can get intel atom n330+ion nettop, 4gb ddr3, 50gb vertex 2 ssd.

Quite frankly I'd rather spend $550 on smartphone (andriod 2.2) that I can have with me anywheres. In fact why not iphone, it uses same OS/apps...

I'd say this first gen of ipad is for mac enthusiasts with lots of money, and second gen might be useful for public at large.

For the same price I could buy $350 netbook, Add 2gb ram for $50, add 60gb SSD for $150 =$550. So 3.75x storage space.  Windows 7 starter + linux available as OS.

It's like the Mercedes dealer who will tell you that the total is more then the sum of it's parts. :)

(I dunno if usb hub would work with ipad).

It doesn't

• 2 weeks later...

Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed

Have fun with that device...

Although the security vulnerability was confined to AT&T servers, Apple bears responsibility for ensuring the privacy of its users, who must provide the company with their email addresses to activate their iPads.

You need to give Apple a valid email address in order to use the device!?

That is as stupid as Google OS requiring a google login (and in order to use apps need to give third party your google login info) in order to run.

Exactly. Remember the Red Ring of Death? Turns out it's quite aptly named. Everytime that happens, someone from FoxConn jumps. :(

Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod, the iPad, and the iPhone for Apple Inc.; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer manufacturers Dell and Hewlett-Packard; motherboards for UK computer manufacturer Zoostorm; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft, cell phones for Motorola, the Amazon Kindle, and Cisco equipment.

• 3 months later...

Now this is looking much better ot me than the ipad. 4 times the RAM (although that may change when Apple releases Ipad 2), bluetooth sync with my current blackberry and internet tethering, FLASH, etc.

I'm also hoping for expandable memory. It would be odd without it. Battery life is questionable though - no mention of it. I would also prefer a larger size - Ipad does that that advantage.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-announced

No price though.

Any thoughts?

Don't forget dual core processor..

Glad to see more competition. Currently Apple has no real competitors for ipad. Everything seems to be coming out next year though.

1024 x 600

Would have been nice to see higher resolution for 600.

No microsd slot would be a huge downside.

I believe someone crunched the numbers and the screen has more pixels per inch than the ipad does.

The HP Slate rumoured specs has a bigger screen and a 1.6 ghz single core processor (is that faster than a 1 ghz dual core? I dunno) but the same RAM, only 5 hours of battery, and twice the weight. Whether or not it is a better machine will come down to how many resources and how good windows 7 is vs. QNX. Plus, the whole bluetooth sync/internet tethering is a huge BBerry advantage over others.

Both the flash support and support for tethering the device with a BlackBerry phone are great advantages over the iPad I recon.

I haven't seen an official price indication yet though.

Will be interesting to see some real footage of the device and see how it handles.

I agree. Pricing rumours are crazily random, with some poeple saying $500 for the 16 gb model and others saying "It'd be a fantastic deal at $1500!".

My biggest issue with tablets right now is that, for the same money, you can get better laptops. Now, that's also true laptop vs. PC but laptops have such a noticable advantage over PC's that they are worth the extra money. Tablets don't have that noticable advantage over laptops (or, more accurately, netbooks) at this time, other than being "cooler". Especially with this trend of downsizing them into large touchscreen phones. I want a tablet I can carry with me, that's large enought o type on comfortably, that I can set down on a table and watch a movie on. I understand there is a limit of size due to the nature of the device (who wants to carry around a 17" tablet?) but that limit is not 7", which is where the market seems to be heading.

I beleive corporations are getting it in a couple weeks, there will probably be reviews and video's then.

Edit: So RIM is claiming it will be priced at the lower end of the current tablet pricing spectrum - meaning $399 - $599 for the 16gb model I'd assume. If they made this available for $399 and it had expandable memory and min 5 hour battery life - I don't see how any currently announced tablet could compete. I'd have trouble resisting buying it now that my laptop has such poor battery performance I can't watch a 45 minute tv show without plugging it in.