Minecraft

Lord J

I don't like 1.8.1.

There are new mobs, ender-man destroy my buildings in my map which started in 1.6 and stayed in 1.6 until recently. I will be closing gaps once 1.9 comes out.

There are new items, some have "once again" no use, that's a real downer.

NPC villages are not yet populated.

Experience has no use yet. Will it increase, health, armor, damage or better harvesting? Why not turn it into a WOW type of training?

Arrows do even 5 damage once fully charged. So walking around prepared gives an extra edge in combat. Shoot, hit, then switch to diamond sword.

Overall, indeed easier. Unless you start in a snow, dessert or badlands area.

That ender-man mob doesn't really fit in with the other mobs. The silverfish however is a good addition.

What bugs me most is that 1.9 will fix a lot of above, yet will also have new half finished work.

I am still waiting for something more use full then a set of signs/path's or redstone to give directions in the cave systems.

What's your opinion?

Well, Endermen are certainly not as frightening as they were publicized. Really, the addition of critical hits, sprinting, and the hunger system have completely changed the way I play minecraft. It's almost a completely different game, aside from, you know... the mining and crafting. The ability of Endermen to remove blocks hasn't bothered me so far, mostly because I don't really build. I also don't tend to stay on the same map for more than a month or so.

I will say that the way trees are made is somewhat obnoxious. I haven't thought that Terraria looked the least bit interesting since I started seeing videos on YouTube, but I'll admit that the way wood falls from harvested trees is much more visually appealing than a floating half-tree; something that Endermen make much more likely.

I will also say that I am somewhat surprised that Notch is going forward with experience and NPCs. I seem to remember him saying earlier that he was not interested in making an RPG style game. Now, that said, I'm curious to see what experience does. I feel similarly with NPCs. overall, I just feel that the game is becoming more and more scripted: there's a story coming together that you don't make for yourself, and I'm not sure that I like that.

Over all of that though, I'm looking forward to seeing what Notch et al. implement for 1.9. In the mean time, I'm saving versions in zip files to play offline if need be.

• 3 months later...

umm guys you do realise that minecraft is no longer in beta stage, its now Minecraft 1.0.0 full release edition :) so Notch has added a bucket load of more features into Minecraft :) ALL HAIL NOTCH oh and hes no longer head of minecraft, Jeb is :).

send me a pm if you want to join my Hamachi minecraft server mind you its awesome

• 1 month later...

Notch fixed boats, look at me, look at me. He fixed the boats. :)

Playing on an island map right now, got tired of the island, so i went looking in the 4 directions. On average a traveling time of 2 to 3 minutes. You are warned :D.

east, not much land, north, after a while land, south, after a while land, lots of chickens, saved up like 64 eggs before heading home, west, now here it gets interesting. Big cave systems from survice to the floor, found 11 naked diamonds. At home i found like 40 diamonds after much works. So 11 without work is a lot i tell ya. east and north got bridges, west and south where on boat. west got a forwarded base. north and south is yet to explore properly, but i like the west. on the way to north, i found 3 under water cave systems, the one under de sugar canes was realy awesome. its an underwater canyon with water and lava flowing in and torches of underground minehalls to start with before you even placed torches yourself.

I like to breed chickens. So builded a little farm, cracked the eggs, got myself 5 chickens to start with, now i have 60 on average before slaughtering 20 and refeeding them. I recalculated the number of decendans the first tree had, it's over 90 now :). And the island expanded a lot, so i placed a lot of trees already, some went 30!!, yes, 30 high! from waterlevel (64) Yey so hard to harvest properly, got me those boring dark woods. Yet searching for the easy white's.

The seed is:

AnTcAmPeRsOnGUY

good luck and have fun ;)

Ehm, i don't know. But the good mods will be updated as well within a month to become compatible with minecraft. It would simply be copy and paste? I know that my mod for the map making still works except for the new blocks.

• 3 weeks later...

I got myself update 1.1 over 1.0.0.

It actually looks way better now.

But now it crashes every minute instead of every 10 minutes.

They say I need 64 bit java. Installed it. And I told minecraft to start with this instead of 32 bit.

But it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Yes i got 1, just put fancy grafix OFF. There we go :). No crashes for 1 hour at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i tried playing in 64 bit. I followed directions by 3 sites. But notching works.

Anyway, lets find dessert seeds :D

Instead of an island map, i would like to be lost in a giant dessert :)

• 6 months later...

Someone should tell Notch or Markus to get a patch where you can select:

only 1 type of biome for your map.

Of course with even tree's in sea and dessert biomes. Thus no longer searching for nice island and dessert seeds.

Can't wait till there is a Duniverse in Minecraft.

And bring pine forests without snow back, please!

Any comments?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news regarding the 1 biome. Now with the arrival of 1.4.2 (I haven't been there lately, that's why the late news)

With selecting super flat, you can select a certain preset.

1 is dessert only. Then you get.

A super flat dessert with cactus and dry twigs all over the place. Here and there you find a little water pool, a village or a pyramid.

The pyramid can contain various items in chests which normally you have to dig or fight for. You also have 9 TNT. Rather useless if there is notching to dig for in flat land :)

The village (depending on size) contains things like books, food, concrete slabs, water, dirt, a bit of "unusable" wood in various forms, torches. The chests in the village can contain armour, apples, and many other items regarding a blacksmith.

At least there are no more slimes annoying the crap out of me.

The pyramid can contain various items in chests which normally you have to dig or fight for. You also have 9 TNT. Rather useless if there is notching to dig for in flat land :)

Did you miss the note that the TNT is set up as a trap, to blow you up in you're not careful when trying to loot the pyramid? :P

Also, TNT is awesome for making tunnels. Dig a horizontal hole 3 deep, place TNT, light it, run away. New piece blown out. Rinse and repeat :3

Did you miss the note that the TNT is set up as a trap, to blow you up in you're not careful when trying to loot the pyramid? :P

Also, TNT is awesome for making tunnels. Dig a horizontal hole 3 deep, place TNT, light it, run away. New piece blown out. Rinse and repeat :3

Since you can easily get down and destroy the pressure plate. The TNT is immediately disarmed. The only danger in the pyramid would be if I am busy digging down for the loot. And a creeper suddenly jumps on me. To prevent this, I close the 3x3 gap above the blue wool. Also the 3 entrances at the front. Placing light everywhere. Only then you are safe to proceed :).

In a flat preset world, you don't find resources that deep. Except for the tunnellers dream preset. But then you have to dig from 260 down to 64. :D Before you find any other resource besides of tree's.

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking about tunneling horizontally, actually. I've made underground rail systems to connect to faraway mines and buildings. Far safer than on top, as long as you seal off all sides to caves you come across with cobble and doors.

Digging 3 deep into a wall and placing TNT blows out a nice 5x5x5 block. Makes tunneling really fast.

Here's a tunnel I made that way, as seen through Unloaded-Chunk-Error-X-Ray-Vision©

n2LtZ.png

Yes, it depends on it if you are dealing with stone or other material. Personally I prefer simply digging with a powerful enchanted pickaxe. Also for retrieving diamonds. They could accidental die in a TNT explosion.

Most people tunnel for distances. But I prefer to go about 10 above ground level.

Only a real minecrafter can see what is going on in that picture ^^. I love guessing what's going on here.

- A Netherrack house, with snow on top. It must have been standing there for a while now :).

- A bit more to the right, you have another tunnel like that :D. If you follow the line of the front torches.

- A map, is it useful? I find them crap, I simply build spires if I want to know where to go. I always got plenty building material because of the deep mining system.

- The jungle in the distance. Does it have snow? That kind of little bugs happen from time to time ^^.

- A 2x5 obsidian plate. It's purpose is decoration?

- What is that big hole in the ground on the left? Just seen right above your chimney. It looks like it's dig out.

- A bit more to the right, something that looks like a ravine.

I could you show some pictures of mine. But I stopped making real castles and such. I am more of a nomad these days. Although, I do take pictures of strange stuff or impressive scenery.

Now that I am scrolling through them, I got 1 picture where I used TNT for tunnelling. It costed me 5 diamonds! :D.

But here 2 screen shots from long long ago, enjoy.

post-2682-0-72582900-1353318586_thumb.jp

post-2682-0-43007500-1353318611_thumb.jp

Edit:-----------------------------------------------------------

In a nutshell

The level can be used for putting enchantments on tools, weapons and armour. This can be done with an enchantment table. For higher levels, you need bookshelf (max 15 for level 30 enchantments).

The level can also be used for repairing tools, weapons and armour; on an Anvil. Done right, you can keep or even increase the enchantments.

For gaining level, you can kill, melt ores or use Bottle'O'Enchanting.

The following things give experience:

-Killing mobs. I don't think baby animals give any experience though.

-Mining non-smeltable ores (coal, redstone, lapis lazuli, diamond, emerald). You get experience for converting the material, meaning you won't get experience from mining the actual ore blocks using a Silk Touch enchanted pickaxe.

-Smelting or cooking anything (including cobble for smooth stone, and sand for glass)

-Breeding livestock

Having levels doesn't seem to have any actual effect on the player, so it's best to use them in enchanting. When you die, and manage to retrieve your dropped experience orbs together with your items, it will only be 50% of what you had before.

On the subject of repairing, do keep in mind items can also be repaired by just dumping two (damaged) items of the same kind together in your crafting grid and getting one (repaired) out. This process loses any and all enchantments though.

Repairing a damaged enchanted item is best done by putting the enchanted item and a non-enchanted version of it on the anvil. If you use two enchanted items, you stack the enchantments of both items into the new one, but this has a heavy cost in levels. On the other hand, you can combine exactly the enchantments you want this way :)

The Anvil can also custom-name any item. The cost is about 6 levels for an unenchanted item I think, but rises rapidly for enchanted items. Custom renamed items can obviously not be stacked together with originals if the same item. I haven't tried if you can stack them with items renamed to exactly the same name, though.

I can combine enchantments for bows. But not for swords and other tools. Is it a bug? Of course, 2 level 3 become 1 level 4. But efficiency and fortune can't be combined?

And I didn't know that breeding gives experience as well :)

Usually you can't combine enchantments if they're either incompatible (like silk touch and fortune) or if they're so high the cost of combining is over the maximum level. I think the maximum level cost it allows, just like for enchanting, is 30, to avoid making insanely powerful weapons with all enchantments at max level.

There's more detailed info about all that on the wiki.

[edit]

It seems for swords, the three types of damage multipliers (vs everything, vs undead and vs spiders) are all mutually exclusive.

Uh, obviously. For every piece of coal you put in it, it'll process 8 items. You don't need to keep looking at it.

Do note, if you travel really really far away from a furnace processing like, a whole stack of items, it may not be done when you get back, since the processing stops when that chunk of the map is unloaded.