Why don't they make a new Dune game?

Lawliet

As the title says, why don't they make a new Dune game? It's been 9 years since the last one. I know that the company that made them, Cryo Interactive, went bankrupt after Frank Herbert's Dune failure, but i still don't know why a different company hasn't picked up the series and made a new one. I think a well made strategy Dune game would be a hit, specially nowadays. I love Emperor: Battle for Dune, but it's almost a decade old. Imagine an rts Dune game with Starcraft 2 graphics and gameplay, or something similar. So what are they waiting for?

As the title says, why don't they make a new Dune game? It's been 9 years since the last one. I know that the company that made them, Cryo Interactive, went bankrupt after Frank Herbert's Dune failure, but i still don't know why a different company hasn't picked up the series and made a new one. I think a well made strategy Dune game would be a hit, specially nowadays. I love Emperor: Battle for Dune, but it's almost a decade old. Imagine an rts Dune game with Starcraft 2 graphics and gameplay, or something similar. So what are they waiting for?

I'm afraid you have posted this in the wrong forum: this section is devoted to Stefan's Dune 2 The Maker project, while general Dune game discussion is going on either in Other Dune Games or the Gaming forum.

I'm afraid you have posted this in the wrong forum: this section is devoted to Stefan's Dune 2 The Maker project, while general Dune game discussion is going on either in Other Dune Games or the Gaming forum.

Oh sorry then, it was my first day on the forum :laugh: . Feel free to delete this topic.

They may make a new game in the future, but I think it will only be a game based on any future movie I'm afraid. What we all want though, is a Dune RTS. I wonder if we could get some kind of petition going, as I'm sure most C&C fans would sign it, and most RTS fans in general.

They may make a new game in the future, but I think it will only be a game based on any future movie I'm afraid. What we all want though, is a Dune RTS. I wonder if we could get some kind of petition going, as I'm sure most C&C fans would sign it, and most RTS fans in general.

I agree. Unfortunately for us, a new Dune movie has been "in the making" for almost a decade now, every 2 years the director quits and is replaced by a new one. That movie will not come out anytine soon, and thus, neither a game.

The last game was made by EA/Westwood

What we all want though, is a Dune RTS. I wonder if we could get some kind of petition going, as I'm sure most C&C fans would sign it, and most RTS fans in general.

I, for one, do not want another Dune RTS. Both Dune 2000 and Emperor weren't exactly the brightest games in the series, and the C&C franchise generally went into mediocrity under EA's management. There's a Tiberium Wars Dune mod in the works though, plus a third-party freeware stand-alone project called Dune: War of the Spice (it's not going to be finished soon too though).

I, for one, do not want another Dune RTS. Both Dune 2000 and Emperor weren't exactly the brightest games in the series, and the C&C franchise generally went into mediocrity under EA's management. There's a Tiberium Wars Dune mod in the works though, plus a third-party freeware stand-alone project called Dune: War of the Spice (it's not going to be finished soon too though).

Thanks for the link, i didn't know that.

I really don't care if it's another RTS or not, as long as it is a well made Dune game. But i think it would be much easier to make and accesible to non fans of the franchise an RTS. It doesn't have to be made by EA , specially after their last blunder, C & C 4. Now if Blizzard would make it, that would be awesome. Blizzard never dissappoints me. But i guess that would be too much to ask for.

Go to the page on this site. The reviews it links to that still work all say the release date was December.

EA made E:BFD. If E:BFD hadn't sold a single copy, it still wouldn't have drove them into bankruptcy.

Cryo's problems went far deeper than Dune.

E:BFD is recognized generally as a much better game, although if Cryo had gotten Dune Generations released before they went under....

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future (especially after Starcraft II's success) someone in the EA marketing machine gets the idea to go back to "the franchise that started it all...."

We can only hope. Although ,to me, the best thing that can happen is that Blizzard makes a new one. Imagine great cinematics, the storyline well explained, good gameplay, etc. it may even make the books gain more fans.

We can only hope. Although ,to me, the best thing that can happen is that Blizzard makes a new one. Imagine great cinematics, the storyline well explained, good gameplay, etc.

Storyline? What storyline? rolleyes.gif

it may even make the books gain more fans.

Not likely. I, for one, can hardly imagine a gosu-turned-Dune-fan.