Anybody else thinks Dune is the greatest book ever written?

Lawliet

I guess most of you are in this forum because Dune is your favourite book or one of your favourites, but does anyone else think is the greatest ever? I've read a lot of books from a lot of writers,not only science fiction,and not one comes close to Dune in terms of writing,entertaining and originality. It's even inspired me to become a writer. What do you guys think?

Greatest book ever? No. That's a lot of books to compare to, especially if you include non fiction.

If you narrow it down to scifi category, then it is definitely up there. I havn't read a variety of scifi books though, mostly just Franks books.

100% agree with you here, Andrew :)

• 3 months later...

Yes, definitely one of the best books in scifi, on the level with Tolkien in the scifi/fantasy combination. I don't think it's that comparable, though, with other genres. Especially if you compare it to non-fiction, or philosophy.

Yes, definitely one of the best books in scifi, on the level with Tolkien in the scifi/fantasy combination. I don't think it's that comparable, though, with other genres. Especially if you compare it to non-fiction, or philosophy.

But the Dune series is philosophy!

(Also, I'm not entirely convinced it's fiction... it just hasn't happened yet!)

Overall, I'm agreeing with everybody in that it's definitely one of the best. It's definitely close to the top of my list. But to call something the greatest book is a very general thing.

Greatest from a creative aspect? Probably not, since a lot of the ideas, individually, are present in other previous works.

Greatest in impact on society? Definitely not. I'd attribute that to various religious texts and political works like The Communist Manifesto.

Greatest in popularity or copies sold? Sadly, Twilight probably has it beat there.

So, while Dune probably isn't "greatest" in any category, it would definitely be one of the best sci-fi/fantasy stories out there, along with The Lord of the Rings and the Foundation series.

Yes it is the greatest series ever. It's all I've read for the last 6 years. Over and over and every time, I manage to see something new and different. Hands down a life changing cadre of work. I agree the latter day Dune isn't near as good, yet I will shamelessly read them. Hope not too much butthurt was caused by my previous statements. If so fill out the attached form....

I think Dune is one of the greatest books ever written - especially the style of writing.

Ringworld by Larry Niven is great, as well.

The second book of the first Thomas Covenant Chronicles series is really good, The Illearth War by Stephen Donaldson.

The Silmarillion is probably the best compendium ever penned by an author.

But the Dune series is philosophy!

(Also, I'm not entirely convinced it's fiction... it just hasn't happened yet!)

Overall, I'm agreeing with everybody in that it's definitely one of the best. It's definitely close to the top of my list. But to call something the greatest book is a very general thing.

Greatest from a creative aspect? Probably not, since a lot of the ideas, individually, are present in other previous works.

Greatest in impact on society? Definitely not. I'd attribute that to various religious texts and political works like The Communist Manifesto.

Greatest in popularity or copies sold? Sadly, Twilight probably has it beat there.

So, while Dune probably isn't "greatest" in any category, it would definitely be one of the best sci-fi/fantasy stories out there, along with The Lord of the Rings and the Foundation series.

I read the first Foundation book and although i liked it, it was 95% dialogue, so it was kind of boring for me. The idea of the book is great, and it develops great, but it was almost all dialogue, with extremely few descriptions of the characters, and the lack of a main character did not help make it more entertaining. I guess i'm used to Herbert's writing style. Any other style seems to be...worst, for lack of a better word. At least for me.

I read the first Foundation book and although i liked it, it was 95% dialogue, so it was kind of boring for me. The idea of the book is great, and it develops great, but it was almost all dialogue, with extremely few descriptions of the characters, and the lack of a main character did not help make it more entertaining. I guess i'm used to Herbert's writing style. Any other style seems to be...worst, for lack of a better word. At least for me.

Foundation is good, for its' time. By the time Asimov write 'Foundation and Earth', he had developed the ability to write for a more fast paced world.