Need some help with this human thing

TheNewOne

Ok I might be asking too early on but I'm totally confused, what are the people that aren't human?  Also, why did Paul have to go through that test if he could already do that human mind thing?  It is in the beginning where he says, humans require a grid to understand their universe.  I mean are some people animals?  I don't get that.  I wish it was explained better in the beginning because now I am having a hard time getting through the book. 

I believe the gom jabbar/pain box test refers to a process of culling those with some degree of self control (sensitivity to delayed outcomes) from the majority of people who react to any pain on a visceral level (like animals). A true "human" is capable of overcoming the impulse of jerking away from pain, whereas an "animal" would jerk away any be killed. I think this section of the book exemplifies the bene gesserit approach to breeding and understanding of human behavior. 

Ok so most people are human?  It is just a matter of discovering what kind you are? 

Might help if you state what book/scene you are talking about. Either you are talking about gom jabbar scene in original Dune or something later on (I havn't read Dune 7+8).

I'm sorry I did say I am I speaking about the original Dune, the first one. 

One more question, what exactly is difference between the imperial emperor and the Padishah emperor?  I don't understand the whole thing about shadusah guys who are fanatics to the padishah emperor but he is not the imperial emperor (is he?), so why are they willing to follow those Hokkonnen guys?

There's only one emperor, and he's the Padishah Emperor. His crack troops (the Sardaukar) have been loaned to the Baron Harkonnen for... mutually beneficial purposes.

As for the human/not human thing, it's a distinction that the Bene Gesserit make to determine whether a person's rational thought is strong enough to overcome base instinct. If someone's instincts override their intelligence, they're not considered "human."

I don't have my copy of Dune with me, but there are a few things you could be refering to.

The Emperor's Truthsayer is Gaius Helen Mohiam, also known as Reverend Mother Mohiam.

The Kwisatz Haderach is another Bene Gesserit term meaning... well, that becomes clearer later.

Thufir Hawat is a mentat ("human computer," to generalise horribly) and an employee of House Atreides.

I think there are hints that Frank disapproved of this Bene Gesserit distinction of "humans" vs. "animals" somewhat, judging by this dialogue between Paul and Jessica when they are are on the run:

"There's a way to evade the Harkonnens," she said.

"The Harkonnens!" he sneered. "Put those twisted humans out of your mind." He stared at his mother, studying the lines of her face in the light of the glowtab. The lines betrayed her.

She said: "You shouldn't refer to people as humans without-"

"Don't be so sure you know where to draw the line," he said. [hide]"We carry our past with us. And, mother mine, there's a thing you don't know and should - we are Harkonnens."[/hide]