DUNE FAN FICTION CONTEST

SandChigger

I'm sort of short on free time ATM, so I only read "First Impressions" and the beginning of "Lampadas", but I must say, Dante, I like very much what I've read so far :) SandRider is right, you've got quite a grasp of Frank's original style, and there's a lot of originality in your texts too. I've got to finish "Lampadas" yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it and would be glad to have more :laugh:

I wish I had more free time though, other contestants' submissions must be interesting too (I've only read "Chani's Thoughts").

All in all, the contest has turned out to be a success, right, people? :laugh:

All in all, the contest has turned out to be a success, right, people? :laugh:

We of Jacurutu believe so. :)

Honestly, we only expected five or six entries at most, so we're quite pleased with the results.

Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Yeah, I've already noticed that :) Would be cool, actually. BTW, would it be even remotely theoretically possible to publish those stories for real, or would this automatically be classified as copyright infringement if the HLP were not to give their consent (which they won't do, obviously). Maybe there's a way to circumvent this somehow? I don't know, declare it as some sort of results of (creative) research of Frank's style, or something of that kind. I understand that publishing them on the net as they are already is quite a lot in itself, but still having printed stuff seems like a nice thing to me :)

The parasites don't stir unless there's some hint of financial gain involved. (I imagine, for example, that if I had banner ads on my website or the fanfic blog, there might have been some effort to stop this past contest.)

There's no way anyone can stop you printing out the stories on nice paper and having them bound for your own personal collection. But there's no way any fictional works based on Dune could ever be published and offered to the public while the copyright remains in greedy little private hands.

(Personally, I believe copyright should revert to public domain upon the death of the artist or, possibly, the artist's spouse. The current period — how many years is it again, 75? — is simply ridiculous.)

The parasites don't stir unless there's some hint of financial gain involved. (I imagine, for example, that if I had banner ads on my website or the fanfic blog, there might have been some effort to stop this past contest.)

There's no way anyone can stop you printing out the stories on nice paper and having them bound for your own personal collection. But there's no way any fictional works based on Dune could ever be published and offered to the public while the copyright remains in greedy little private hands.

(Personally, I believe copyright should revert to public domain upon the death of the artist or, possibly, the artist's spouse. The current period — how many years is it again, 75? — is simply ridiculous.)

In most of the world, the default length of copyright is the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years. Can't believe it either...

Personally, I believe copyright should revert to public domain upon the death of the artist or, possibly, the artist's spouse. The current period — how many years is it again, 75? — is simply ridiculous.)

Oh my God! I have to agree with you here.

And I add:

Any work that is not reprinted for a period of over 30 years should become public domain. It is awful not to be able to find something because it is out of print, the copyright holding company having no intention to print it again-ever, and even worse to be sued by them when you make it available on the internet for people who want to do some serious research.

• 1 month later...

Submissions SHOULD be anonymous. Only email and nothing else. Got it dude? Otherwise you might be accused of favoritism...

Get this, DUDE: you're a moron.

Commenting on something when you obviously haven't even bothered reading the rules proves it.

The selection of the winners this time will be by public poll vote on Jacurutu.

(And in the previous contest last year, I was not a judge, only the facilitator. I posted all submissions that met the rule guidelines. The only complaints received were from one troublemaker who never intended to submit anything, and one idiot who also didn't read the rules and tried to submit something previously submitted elsewhere.)

I don't really care if this gets read all that much or not, ErasOmnius. I just posted it here as a courtesy to those members of this forum that I do respect, in case anyone is interest in participating. (Dante took part in the last contest, and won.)

By "pictorial" and "graphical" submissions, we intend something like a series of images that tell a story, or a comic strip.

We already have our first submission, by the way. McDune doesn't take much time or effort in any form. wink.gif

Anyone with other questions can always mail me at my regular address or the contest address!

How many voted? 6, 10 or 12...?

Huh?

Are you being deliberately obtuse, or is this just your native stupidity shining through?

The contest last summer was decided by a panel of SEVEN judges (details here). I was not a judge. I only received the submissions and posted them on Jacurutu and the fanfic blog on my site. I rejected only one submission for not being in conformance with the contest rules. In the near half year since the contest, I have received no reports of any email system failures causing submissions to be lost, late, bounced, etc. (One person had server problems on THEIR end and submitted after the deadline, but we decided to go ahead and accept the story.)

Voting for the current contest (using the built-in poll feature on Jacurutu) WILL NOT BEGIN until March.

Is that clear enough?

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

I agree with the latter. I will wait and see how many will vote in that public poll. At least a public poll is an improvement.

Oh shut up already about things you're completely ignorant of. You don't know any of the judges and you have absolutely no reason to cast aspersions on their honesty or the conscientiousness with which they tackled the task of choosing the best entries. You are, in short, talking out your backside as usual, and as usual it stinks.

Your approval of the process and opinions regarding its "improvement" are neither required nor desired. Since you probably have no intention of submitting anything to the contest, I'm not even sure why you care. Go spout off about something else, how's about?

It seemed that the judging was very fair and accurate. Dante's story of the Bene Gesserit talking on Lampadas was probably the best that I've read in the last 30 years.

It might even be better if the current story submission were being judged by the last.

Ah, then I shut up. It seems the DuneTick(l)er is pissed off. If everything is OK and fair he shouldn't. It is better to be suspicious nowadays and take necessary precautions. If we did here in Greece, we wouldn't be in such a deplorable condition today. I may disagree with the reason of existence of Jacurutu, but I am not against those people there. I may even register one day to vote... ;-)

...with the reason of existence of Jacurutu, but I am not against those people there. I may even register one day to vote... ;-)

That's how I feel about Jacurutu. I have tried to register, but it didn't work. I think they didn't want me to join.

Ah, then I shut up. It seems the DuneTick(l)er is pissed off. If everything is OK and fair he shouldn't.

Let's see... on the one hand I have a delusional Canadian woman accusing me of lying about not being willing to accept submissions from everyone just because I banned her nonsense from my blog and on the other I have an ignorant Greek kid accusing me and the judges of the first contest of being dishonest and applying favoritism. WELL EXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME FOR BEING PISSED OFF ABOUT IT.

It is better to be suspicious nowadays and take necessary precautions.

I see no evidence that you have any real interest in this contest, and until you actually write something and submit it, you have no real stake in it, either. So I don't see what the hell you're "suspicious" about and why you need take any "precautions".

If we did here in Greece...

We're not in Greece.

I may disagree with the reason of existence of Jacurutu, but I am not against those people there. I may even register one day to vote... ;-)

You don't know SQUAT about the reason for the existence of Jacurutu, so shut up about it already. Jacurutu is Freakzilla's site for the FREE discussion of all aspects of Frank Herbert's Dune. Period.

That's how I feel about Jacurutu. I have tried to register, but it didn't work. I think they didn't want me to join.

And when was this? Did you follow up with an email to Freak or Omphalos? You've never mentioned it to me; I'm not an admin over there but a number of people have contacted me via my site when they've had problems registering and I've passed the word along.

It's pretty shoddy, and "damn sloppy" as Duke Leto would say, to not pursue alternatives and then start bitching about people elsewhere.

And when was this? Did you follow up with an email to Freak or Omphalos? You've never mentioned it to me; I'm not an admin over there but a number of people have contacted me via my site when they've had problems registering and I've passed the word along.

It's pretty shoddy, and "damn sloppy" as Duke Leto would say, to not pursue alternatives and then start bitching about people elsewhere.

Sadly, I don't remember when it happened, sometime in early 2010. But you're right, I apologize. I have never pursued the matter. It could have been from a technical glitch.

I do have to admit that it would be much easier for me to participate at the Sietch, now that you (and others) have helped me better understand what "Brian and Kevin" are trying to do. Of course the piece of $%#@ that Winds of Dune is, was like someone throwing a bucket of water on me, forcing me to wake up to most of their misguided stories of the previous decade.

Plus, I am always concerned about my polarizing viewpoints, and don't necessarily like to inject myself into well established Forum clubs, where I may 'hurt' people's feelings.

• 2 months later...