Broken Nose

Lord J

So I've had a broken nose for about 6 or 8 months now, I think. I was walking upstairs with water bottles, and I wasn't really watching where I was going, and I slipped and bashed my nose into the stair in front of me. Ever since, I have had trouble breathing through my right nostril. I use breathe right strips when I go to bed, but in waking life it's not exactly acceptable to sit around in public with a big thing on your nose.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or ideas for what I can do to breathe more comfortably in public? Walking helps, but it's difficult to find a corner to stand and use the internet without getting odd looks.

Ah, so it's an insurance thing? That's why you've put up with difficulty breathing for possibly up to eight months? (Six or eight? Are you sure there wasn't a concussion, too, with the fuzzy memory? ;) )

what exactly is the problem, "trouble" is very general.  Right now I'm thinking you should just take up wrestling and have someone practice crossfacing you over and over.  My old couch could press his nose flat against his face, no bone left to break just rigid cartilage like your ear.

Great idea. Now let's get socialized medicine here in the States so I can afford it ;)

You're kidding me right?

I have had one, just a quick trip to the hospital and they put it back, was in and out in just over half an hour.

It sort of grows back so if you wait to long they might have to break it again.

(just a guess though)

It sort of grows back so if you wait to long they might have to break it again.

(just a guess though)

No, after six to eight months I'd think that's probably a given. Which means it's going to be a more involved and more expensive procedure. If paying for it is the main reason why you haven't gone, you've guaranteed it's going to cost even more by waiting this long.

i had  hand injury when playing with dog,  , dog has rammed my hand  and damaged one finger , heal took  week.  when i move finger i hear "koch" sound , finger shoots :S next day  the smallest finger not thumb was damaged  but  healing was shorter as damage was small

You need to operate your nose. That's definite. Consider traveling to another country if it is so expensive in US (Still such an operation usually should not be so costly as other operations). I heard many people from US are traveling abroad. India is cheap, but you may have to choose a nearby country to avoid huge transportation expenses. Combining this with your vacations would be ideal. Still I fail to understand why such an operation should cost so much. Question: Couldn't you locate a surgeon, probably a newcomer immigrant to US, who would charge you less, or do they charge the same?

So I've had a broken nose for about 6 or 8 months now, I think. I was walking upstairs with water bottles, and I wasn't really watching where I was going, and I slipped and bashed my nose into the stair in front of me. Ever since, I have had trouble breathing through my right nostril. I use breathe right strips when I go to bed, but in waking life it's not exactly acceptable to sit around in public with a big thing on your nose.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or ideas for what I can do to breathe more comfortably in public? Walking helps, but it's difficult to find a corner to stand and use the internet without getting odd looks.

God I love the NHS.

Ah, so it's an insurance thing? That's why you've put up with difficulty breathing for possibly up to eight months? (Six or eight? Are you sure there wasn't a concussion, too, with the fuzzy memory? ;) )

It's a possibility. Nah, I just can't be bothered to remember precise dates. If I actually tried to remember the actual month it happened, it would take at least an hour of referencing events around that period, which is time I'd rather spend lurking on FED2k.

what exactly is the problem, "trouble" is very general.  Right now I'm thinking you should just take up wrestling and have someone practice crossfacing you over and over.  My old couch could press his nose flat against his face, no bone left to break just rigid cartilage like your ear.

Not a horrible idea, except that it's not really that bad (it actually looks pretty decent, you can only tell that it's broken with relatively serious concentration). The trouble; I cannot usually inhale through my right nostril without spreading it open. This is only a problem when my left nostril is blocked. I hate breathing with my mouth.

You need to operate your nose. That's definite. Consider traveling to another country if it is so expensive in US (Still such an operation usually should not be so costly as other operations). I heard many people from US are traveling abroad. India is cheap, but you may have to choose a nearby country to avoid huge transportation expenses. Combining this with your vacations would be ideal. Still I fail to understand why such an operation should cost so much. Question: Couldn't you locate a surgeon, probably a newcomer immigrant to US, who would charge you less, or do they charge the same?

Yeah, I don't think there are very many cheap, recently immigrated, plastic surgeons in Utah. I'll wait for cheaper insurance/more money. Heh, vacations....

it must be operated otherwise  you might have smell problems in future  . e.g nostrils  may just overgrow inside and close the vents,

Yeah, I don't see that happening any more than it has so far. I suspect it's pretty much as bad as it's going to be until I can have it operated on.

Thanks everyone!