Copyright bill would ban breaking digital locks

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Netflix to offer web movies, TV shows in Canada

The service will allow Canadians to stream an unlimited number of movies and television shows to their TVs or computers for a monthly fee.

Something tells me my ISP won't like me using more bandwidth. Unlimited movies/tv for a fee? They don't like me using bandwidth now, just wait until I pay another business to watch something, then get throttled.

Netflix to offer web movies, TV shows in Canada

Something tells me my ISP won't like me using more bandwidth. Unlimited movies/tv for a fee? They don't like me using bandwidth now, just wait until I pay another business to watch something, then get throttled.

You should switch to teksavvy cable. 200gb or unlimited cap. they dont throttle. They are currently rolling out cable and if you can`t get cable in your area they also offer dsl.

I only have access to one high speed (Aliant). Thanks government for granting an exclusive monopoly (by signing contract with them, not tendered), and screwing over rural people who have no choice on ISP. 1.5mbit down, 0.48mbit up for me. People 2 km away can get 5-7mbit down (same ISP, still no choice in companies). Turns out the box near my house is capable of 4.8mbit, but they only allow me 1.5 :(

Based upon the news that Netflix is coming to Canada, ISP are already decreasing their allowed gb/month.

Rogers lowers download limits as Netflix looms

Of course Rogers, also a cable tv provider does not want anyone to get their tv/movies from netflix etc, since it means people would cancel their cable service. The ISP are not just selling bandwidth. Most have phones (cell and landline), cable or satellite tv, and sometimes other items. So if people switch to internet and not use their other services (switch to VIOP instead of landline phone), they lose money so as people move to internet only, expect prices to increase per gb, and much more tiering packages.

They all seem to be increasing their 'speed' (how fast to download a file), but are clamping down on allowed bandwidth per month.

Eastlink recently introduced 30mbit down (3.75mbytes/second!), they only allow 250gb. If you max your connection, you would run out of bandwidth in 11 hours. 2mbit upload speed sounds nice if you need lots of short term fast upload speeds (max out upload in 11 days).

I only have access to one high speed (Aliant). Thanks government for granting an exclusive monopoly (by signing contract with them, not tendered), and screwing over rural people who have no choice on ISP. 1.5mbit down, 0.48mbit up for me. People 2 km away can get 5-7mbit down (same ISP, still no choice in companies). Turns out the box near my house is capable of 4.8mbit, but they only allow me 1.5 :(

Based upon the news that Netflix is coming to Canada, ISP are already decreasing their allowed gb/month.

Rogers lowers download limits as Netflix looms

Of course Rogers, also a cable tv provider does not want anyone to get their tv/movies from netflix etc, since it means people would cancel their cable service. The ISP are not just selling bandwidth. Most have phones (cell and landline), cable or satellite tv, and sometimes other items. So if people switch to internet and not use their other services (switch to VIOP instead of landline phone), they lose money so as people move to internet only, expect prices to increase per gb, and much more tiering packages.

They all seem to be increasing their 'speed' (how fast to download a file), but are clamping down on allowed bandwidth per month.

Eastlink recently introduced 30mbit down (3.75mbytes/second!), they only allow 250gb. If you max your connection, you would run out of bandwidth in 11 hours. 2mbit upload speed sounds nice if you need lots of short term fast upload speeds (max out upload in 11 days).

this is the formula.

High speed+Cable+Cell Phone+Video Rental=$$$$$$$$$$

Highspeed+Netflix+VOIP=-$

Highspeed+Low Cap+Netflix+VOIP=$$

Highspeed+Low Cap+ Speed Increase= Faster bandwidth consumption= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Basically the bigger the pipe the faster the water runs out.

Teksavvy and other wholesalers will see alot of business now(Bell is sure to follow) and hopefully they will get enough ,oney to expand the Fiber to home they are planning.