The Harkonnens

Y2J

Are they based on Wicca culture?  What these Wicca are like.

I've just played the Dune games, Emperor battle for Dune.  To make it more Wicca like, they should have a nuclear power station, instead of a wind trap.  They live on Geidi Prime, which is a volcanic wasteland due to their technology, they tend to have these shaved troops with gas masks, and have mini guns.

-I've seen a bit of the movies too.

-Are they like that too in the books?  I was told once that instead they were like small time crooks in the books.

Be nice Sandchigger....

The Harkonnens are not in any way Wiccan.  They are not small time crooks in the books.  They are a powerful family that controls multiple worlds.  I suggest you read the novels (the original 6 before anything else).  That would be the best way to find out more about them.

My mistake.  I actually meant the Wiccans would be a lot like the Harkonnens, particularly in the game Emperor Battle For Dune.

But the original Dune novels the Harkonnens are probably a lot different.

Then there's house Atraides, which is more like a Salvation Army.  With their artillery, infantry, and aircraft.  Great for salvaging because they could attack the enemy base quickly, lightly armored but could retrieve resources.

Salvage Team, or the Salvaging Military.

Salvation Army and Salvage Army are not the same! However Ordos have artillery and lightly armored tanks, but still they don't salvage...maybe you are talking of GLA that are green too...but is another game.

Talking about the books

Harkonnen = very rich and since their baron is richer than a duke that means great commercial ability. You can't build an empire if you are crook. If for crook you mean "moral crook" well..yes they have a different moral code because they allow slavery, but this make them stronger.

Atreides = poor farmers.

So there is no comparison: if you want the game to be loyal to the book (and so to be unbalanced) Atreides can't fight Harkonnen without Fremen's aid. That because Harkonnen could hire lot of mercenaries while Atreides have only good commanders and a small elite force.

Salvation Army and Salvage Army are not the same! However Ordos have artillery and lightly armored tanks, but still they don't salvage...maybe you are talking of GLA that are green too...but is another game.

Well Ordos are mercenary and they all about profit so if u pay them alot of solaris iam sure they will try 2 salvage something 4 u .

Didn't know that. Nevertheless DE is a non-canonical book.

Now since I am a Greek and you probably know the issues we have with Turks I believe that Ordos is a quite fitting name for the house it represents ( ;-) ):

Ancient names of the Ordos region are He-tau and - later - He-nan ("the country south of the river"). By one account' date=' it was the legendary land of origin of the Turks. It was occupied by horse nomads for many centuries, and these were very often at war with China. In the 1st and 2nd centuries AD, it was occupied by the [b']Xiongnu, but was almost depopulated during and after the Dungan revolt of 1869.

So the actress used for Ordos Mentat Roma Atani in Emperor: Battle for Dune was a fitting choice:

OrdosMentat_Big.jpg

From what I know DE is more canonical than the prequel.

Because it was approved directly by Frank Herbert while prequels were written after his death.

Xiognu = "cousins" of huns...well it suits with a fast house like Ordos.

Here is a rich background (and foreground) for the Dune Chronicles' date=' including scholarly bypaths and amusing sidelights. [b']Some of the contributions are sure to arouse controversy, based as they are on questionable sources ... I must confess that I found it fascinating to re-enter here some of the sources on which the Chronicles are built. As the first "Dune fan," I give this encyclopedia my delighted approval, although I hold my own counsel on some of the issues still to be explored as the Chronicles unfold.

They could as well make their living by writing books in their own universe(s), not somebody else's :P

That is true. Brian and Kevin need to take a 3-5 year rest from DUNE, and not release Throne until then, or later...much later.

In fact, skip Throne and Golden Path...wait 5-10 years...perhaps release a Schools book...or retire.