Forum Software Change

Gobalopper

I run a COD4/BC2 clan with 50 members and a website with a forum. Being full admin, I can understand your concern (we run phpBB, though).

I would say go for it. I'm sure that our current theme isn't a default theme, meaning you tinkered with it. Thus, there isn't any doubt in my mind if you were to tinker with something new that it wouldn't be great. I've come to like this board, but progress isn't a bad thing. It will lead to new features on the user-end, but also (and what we can't see, and I can tell you from going from 3.0.1 to 3.0.7-PL1 on our boards - the latest version for phpBB) on the administrative end. I'm sure it will make Gob's life a little bit easier, while giving us additional features and incorporating a theme refresh which maintains the current minimalist system.

Also, security is a issue as well. Forum software that is not continually developed has loopholes which are not resolved, and someone with knowledge can exploit them.

So, I'm all for it.

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The Skin Generator is only available to customers with an active support license.

It's everything I dreamt it would be. ;)

Maybe a screenshot?

Also, security is a issue as well. Forum software that is not continually developed has loopholes which are not resolved, and someone with knowledge can exploit them.

Wait, does this mean the current forum engine is no longer updated? Or it's not secure enough altogether?

posts wouldn't go away although the URL to access them likely would.

I agree with Andrew here, if links to posts are to become obsolete, then I'm against the change. Even if we don't lose track of all posts, updating the links to only the most important and widely used ones is going to be a real pain in the Hinterteil.

Wait, does this mean the current forum engine is no longer updated? Or it's not secure enough altogether?

Gob said it's slowed down to a crawl. There's a reason why board software is updated on a regular basis, and it's not just features, it's security. The longer the spans of time between updates/development, the higher the likelihood that someone will find a exploit in the existing version(s). I would imagine that board software which you pay for would inherently have a high rate of development, in addition to more thorough updates.

here's a reason why board software is updated on a regular basis, and it's not just features, it's security. The longer the spans of time between updates/development, the higher the likelihood that someone will find a exploit in the existing version(s).

Exploits are not inherited to time. If your software / programming is good you don't need updates. How long has it been for HP-UX and OpenBSD before the next update came along..

Don't worry about old links, they will still work and redirect to the new format.

I will try getting a screenshot of it later tonight didn't realize it was only for active members. Updated the link with one that should work.

yeah same, I tried refreshing and wasnt able to reach the site, is the change officially going forward then?  The links example is kinda meh  :-  I'm not against the change just want it to be visually appealing, this forum is very easy on the eyes, part of what I love about it.

A poll for who should be a moderator!

I would vote for SandChigger and Hwi Noorie for the "Politics, Religion, & Philosophy"! ;D

Please, sugar, these public displays of Greek affection are quite embarrassing. PM me next time. ;)

• 1 month later...
Wow I see some long departed posters in those screenshots!  In the first picture, what are the symbols after the 'Old timers' thread?  Are they the moderator tools?

I believe those are page numbers.

Looks interesting! Keep us posted (ha!) Gob!