Ubuntu 10.04

Andrew

I'm running 10.10 on my netbook now. Really loving it, though I've got to get used to the tiny keyboard again.

Edit: Does anyone know whether it's possible to access a separate partition (the windows partition) of a harddrive after installing ubuntu? I want to add it to my dead desktop but still access my old files.

Yes that is possible, and normally extremely easy to do.

Step 1: run liveusb or livecd. Click on "places" menu at top left of screen. Select the windows partition. It should mount and you should be able to access it. This is to test that it works. Once installed, it should do be able to do the same thing. You don't need to install ubuntu to access your files though. Could load liveusb/livecd and copy/paste your windows partition files (if backing up) to usb stick or over network etc.

The only problem I've run into is that sometimes, it doesn't auto mount the partition on startup, but this can be fixed by editing fstab configuration file. But under normal circumstances you should not need to do this.

Make sure to backup anything important on windows partition before installing ubuntu in case something bad happens. I lost 1 month of data due to failure of backup system (accidentally replaced my original files with old backups, then proceeded to replace 2 backups with outdated backups, still cleaning up that mess, although not ubuntu fault, my fault for accidentally wiping winxp partition while trying to restore master boot record).

I would, but the Windows installation is broken: the power failed during the installation of some updates and I don't have the original disc. At the time, I didn't have a sizable jumpdrive, so pretty much everything has been lost, but now I'll try with ubuntu. It'll be cool to run it on the big screen.

Always use a boot manager that loads from it OWN partition to avoid headaches (and can be reactivated via a bootable CD).

With a Windows disk (original or newer version) you could upgrade or repair a damaged installation, and only have to redo all the windows updates. So you could have both Ubuntu and Windows to choose from.

• 3 months later...

I am now using 11.04 as someone mentioned before I did not like early versions because of the wireless difficulty but this version works perfect out of the box. I downloaded an iso burned it to DVD. In my case none of the headaches that I had with Win Vista like the incompatibility with almost everything at first. Only two things needed attention and they were the Ethernets connection and the graphics card but Ubuntu found that at each site accordingly.

11.04 final will be out this Thursday. :)

I'm looking forward to new Lubuntu.

Andrew you are the "unofficial" Ubuntu PR man as far as I am concerned. I have a copy of LuBuntu and have been trying out UberStudent (running on a i686 laptop). I was not aware that this Thursday was the date for the final version but what I have now is perfect.

I've turned into a big fan of Lubuntu, because it is a great lightweight distro for slower computers, but still has the ubuntu brand/repositories backing it. Mostly good for web browsing (have most computer resources dedicated to web browser). Put Lubuntu on a usb stick and you get a fast OS on old computers that have usb2.0. Hard drive would have faster sequentials, but usb has much lower latency and probably faster randoms.

Hopefully Canonical officially adopts it at some point.

Xubuntu was supposed to be the lightweight distro, but I found it was not much different than normal ubuntu.

Final are going to be released tomorrow. I'm excited and will end up downloading like 7 different cd .iso to update my cd-rw collection.

Digital Guerrilla how do you like the new unity interface? That has been the main discussion point of this release. With people not liking it or saying it is buggy. It is possible to disable it and have old ubuntu. I havn't used it much, and it only started working with beta2 for me.

I had not heard of uberstudent. Thanks for the info!

If you are into special education programs, I used Lyx for a short time. Was useful for inputting formulas. I'd try to get 2.0.0 (only at RC stage now) version as it is much newer. Sweet, ubuntu natty repository has latest version, so just get from there (how you would normally install new software). It's difficult to learn this type of software, you pretty much need to read the manual. EDIT: some people have problems with newest lyx such as scrolling using cpu, so not perfect but worth trying.

Never heard of it. If you can't find a google search or ubuntuforum search with problem/solution, unlikely to get one. Upgrading/using Ubuntu 10.10 might help. I'd try the liveusb or livecd to see if you still have the problem.

11.04 Natty Narwhal releases tomorrow, and you can update from version 10.10

To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 on a desktop system, press Alt+F2, type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes), and press Enter. Update Manager will open up and display the message, "New distribution release '11.04' is available." Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

@Andrew

I have not encountered any problems with the Unity interface. I have seen the discussions on the Unbuntu forums but actually I do not take either side which is due in part to limited exposure with earlier versions.

I had actually burned 4 copies of the iso for Ubuntu before I could finally install the OS and enjoy it. I originally planned to use it on the aforementioned i686 but ran into technical problems. Also worth mentioning I tried LuBuntu and CrunchBang on the i686 and both had problems with the screen resolution (stuck in 800x600 and with a weird split screen appearance). I know there is a cure for that but I wanted the OS to work with out having that minor headache so instead I loaded Puppy Linux on the i686 using the liveCD and eventually Uberstudent with both giving me better results for that particular machine. The biggest problem was that the i686 needed to work with the wireless and Puppy Linux handled that and the screen resolution on the first try, same with Uberstudent. The LuBuntu and CrunchBang did the same thing on another machine but the i686 was just not that compatible for CrunchBang or Lubuntu (it is mainly due to my impatience so for the expert Linux users blah).

The i686 was the main reason for the Linux search because originally DSL (Suse was a choice but needed higher minimal requirements-you get the humorous message of Dude you have a nice computer but to run/install Suse we need more) was my choice but because of the wireless card configuration problems I started searching for other Linux OS versions. Now as I mentioned before it is back online and runs like new. The Ubuntu was installed on a more current machine because of Windows Vista's pissy attitude.

As far as the usb boot of any Linux version I have been mainly using the iso on a usb drive and then running whatever OS on Parallels (for MAC) and VirtualBox (for Windows). The virtual computer software is a life saver.

11.04 Final has been released.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2011-April/000147.html

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

Lubuntu has not been released yet. Could be a day or so before done. Beta2 was a good release (1 week ago), they actually were able to remove java and some firefox dependencies even though firefox was not installed so it saved around 50mb on the cd (and I assume on install as well). EDIT: lubuntu final is about 100mb larger than beta2 :(

EDIT:

Lubuntu 11.04 is up. Sweet.

http://lubuntu.net/ ->download link still points to 10.10

http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/ direct files directory with torrent.