HDD going bad

Very common hard drive failure is attributed to bad sectors on the drive, essentially portions of the platters that are unreadable. It seems that the errors that you're seeing are alluding to sector-related errors..

If you're having lag/data loss/random errors (common indications of bad sectors), I would replace the disk. Alternatively, for verification sake you could try running the Samsung test if those issues aren't as prominent (and as a double-checking mechanism).

Best thing to do regardless is to trust your instinct, but more importantly - back-up your data ASAP.

Samsung test can be located here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html

Bad sectors on a drive are almost always a "prominent issue".  Windows can normally identify and isolate the sectors, effectively reducing the size of your hard drive bit by bit, but it's usually endemic of a bigger problem.  Without exception, every hard drive that's thrown sector error S.M.A.R.T. failures at me has proceeded to fail within the next few weeks - few months.  The timescale is unique to the particular failure that drive is experiencing, and if you're lucky, you might be one of the few that carry on with the drive and experience no further errors.  Just saying it's never happened to me, and I deal with perhaps 40+ HDDs per day. :P

The S.M.A.R.T. report you have there is pretty standard - tools and utilities will obfusacte it to a degree (even HDFT simply gives you error codes which you can cross check against a list).  I'd second GhostHunter's recommendation of backing up your data - hope you haven't filled all 1TB of it. :-

Replacing the drive is the best idea, especially if you're using it as storage for backup or important files that you don't have backed up elsewhere.

Thanks for the help. I did a Samsung (dos) check and it passed all test, except the whole disk test. The one that takes very long. It reported errors there. The advise of the program was to erase the disk and try again.

I got my HDD separated in C,D,E and F partitions. C is windows, D is programs, E is games and F is important data that I once in the month (not exactly) backup on a external HDD.

I will do another backup right now.

Would it help to do a complete erase or do the bad sectors stay?

There are applications that attempt to do sector repair, but take that with a grain of salt..

I'd recommend replacing the drive as soon as you back-up the data. Errors in both programs, including the Samsung one are all the indication you need.

:'( ...my poor HDD...

Perhaps it is best to get a new HDD.

What for one do you advice? I'm thinking about Samsung again. I prefer 1TB and good speed (I sometimes play the latest games, COD MW2) :D I don't know if I can get warranty for this one.

Is it possible that the cause of the errors is in the way you 'mount' the HDD in the pc casing? Because I have mine hanging on strings to prevent vibration... perhaps that is not good......  ???

I assume 3.5" HDD?

WD caviar black are supposed to be decent. They recently came out with 64mb cache models. Although they are more expensive than 32mb models.

1tb 64cache = $125

1tb 32 cache = $100 probably similar pricing differences in other countries.

I don't know much about hard drives other than when I researched into the WD green/black, and bought green for storage (green no good for OS/apps though).

Everyone has their own favourite brand, which is normally derived from having them "never fail on me", vice versa goes for hated brand(s).  Like I mentioned earlier, I deal with a ton of hard drives every day.  Every drive fails eventually, and that doesn't change from manufacturer to manufacturer.

However, based on price and performance, I'd recommend anything by Hitachi.  They've learned well from the whole "Deathstar" debacle, and something like this would be a decent choice.  The model number (so you can search other stores) would be HDS721010CLA332, but searching "Hitachi Deskstar 1TB" should also net you much and such the same results.

As for drives to avoid?  In my experience, anything by Maxtor.  Even worse than Seagates for failing without any notice.

Western Digital are a good second choice, if you opt not to go for Hitachi.  But I cannot stress enough the need to mount your drives properly in the machine!  Having it suspended by string might stop vibration to the case, but all it's doing is causing the drive to wobble imperceptibly.  That sort of thing can cause the drive heads to crash into the platters.  Screw it in, all 6 holes if you can, but 2 (diagonally opposite) will suffice in a pinch.

Depending on your budget I think a couple of bad-sectors can be tolerated on the drive. Format the drive or do a full scan and they will be marked as faulty and won't be used.

(any one remember the good old days of Windows 3.x where by default you'd see the bad-sectors market with a red 'X')

Make sure you have your important data backed up though.

For drives I always have had a love/hate relation with Seagate/Maxtor. WD would be on top of the list for me.

Hitachi Deskstars are good enough for Google, so they're certainly good enough for me. :D

You are referring to the cheap-hardware-to-replace-failing-cheap-hardware policy. ;)

Be sure like Google you always have backup drives and systems then..

Just kidding of course.

I am getting a lot of Fujitsu's lately and HP is still putting WD Blue's in most systems we receive.

Depending on your budget I think a couple of bad-sectors can be tolerated on the drive. Format the drive or do a full scan and they will be marked as faulty and won't be used.

(any one remember the good old days of Windows 3.x where by default you'd see the bad-sectors market with a red 'X')

Make sure you have your important data backed up though.

For drives I always have had a love/hate relation with Seagate/Maxtor. WD would be on top of the list for me.

i think I will try that. after this and next busy week I will start checking every program of the hdd to see if it needs backup, especially from programs/games (the documents are already backup)

than do a samsung full erase. reinstall windows vista (should I upgrade to windows 7 also? is only 17 euro for me, if im correct) and I will put the HDD secure in the normal drivebay. not anymore on strings :P

Vista sucks. Windows 7 even more. OK I would upgrade to 7 (it is better than Vista) provided that I had found that there exist drivers for all my hardware. And make sure to check what services (besides UAC) are usually removed in Pirated distributions-as those you won't need either and they slow the system a lot.

Now for HDD my choice is WD (Black-as Green is slow). I haven't tried Hitachi to tell (Seagate/Maxtor/IBM should be avoided).

If you experience more and more new bad sectors it means that your HDD is dying. If not you may be able to continue to use your HDD (maybe HDD was hit once or more-hmmm hanging from strings and vibrating more? Heads scratching the surface?).

The following tool can 'repair' bad sectors that are NOT physically damaged, but de-magnetized:

http://store2.esellerate.net/store/ProductInfo.aspx?StoreIDC=STR793615240&SkuIDC=SKU9923428806&pc=

I would highly suggest a WD 1TB Black. Fastest 1TB spinning drive available, and relatively cheap. More importantly though, they are built on enterprise-class standards, which ensures higher build quality and they come with a 5yr warranty.

As long as he doesnt buy a "Green " drive he should be fine. Green is either energy savings or crap, but it seems to achieve both.

Vista sucks. Windows 7 even more. OK I would upgrade to 7 (it is better than Vista) provided that I had found that there exist drivers for all my hardware. And make sure to check what services (besides UAC) are usually removed in Pirated distributions-as those you won't need either and they slow the system a lot.

Now for HDD my choice is WD (Black-as Green is slow). I haven't tried Hitachi to tell (Seagate/Maxtor/IBM should be avoided).

If you experience more and more new bad sectors it means that your HDD is dying. If not you may be able to continue to use your HDD (maybe HDD was hit once or more-hmmm hanging from strings and vibrating more? Heads scratching the surface?).

The following tool can 'repair' bad sectors that are NOT physically damaged, but de-magnetized:

http://store2.esellerate.net/store/ProductInfo.aspx?StoreIDC=STR793615240&SkuIDC=SKU9923428806&pc=

Ummm what? Ive yet to find anything without a windows 7 driver, even some xp drivers work if your lucky.

Forget pirated distros.

[ removed by gryphon ]

[ reselling MSDN keys is not allowed last time I checked my agreement. To be more precise you can only use it in private production environments. The moment your product is used for external contact / reselling etc your MSDN subscription is no longer valid. Not even e-Open licenses cover reselling or passing along the keys. the moment software leaves your controle / site you are no longer allowed to use that key ]

Well if you have older hardware there are no drivers for 7. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 5600 and no 7 driver available. Vista one does work on 7 for some people, not for all. For me Aero doesn't work properly with that driver. Maybe if I try with a fresh installation?

Pirated software? I am not going to tell more: Try a modded OS for Games etc and you can tell the difference in speed and free resources. But of course I wouldn't trust it for any serious work. It has holes everywhere.