Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Mahdi

Futurama:

- Fry and Leela trying out a still suit

http://i.imgur.com/pp9yQ.jpg

- Sandworm being used as public transportations

http://www.optionated.com/2012/02/6-sci-fi-futurama-references-you-might-not-know-were-based-on-books/sandworm_786x786/

Simpsons:

- Liza can see through time

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8r73rPA0S1qdoghio1_500.png

I remember a last one in cartoons but cant say which one it was. Main character walk into a party and say "hi" to the Baron Harkonnen.

• 5 weeks later...

Recently I've played a demo of a turn-based strategy game called Emperor of the Fading Suns by Holistic Design, and immediately noticed a very obvious Dune reference:

efs2013020317330795.png

This is a technology you can research in the game. Further inquiry revealed more references, like Doppleganger special unit that apparently was inspired by Face Dancers:

efs2013020317315931.png

And this here seems to be a reference to the Voice:

efs2013020317333068.png

The whole game, which is actually based on a pen-and-paper RPG Fading Suns, seems to borrow a lot of elements from Frank Herbert's Dune universe. The story is set in a galaxy-spanning empire ruled by noble houses (which are striving for the throne), the trading Guild and the Holy Church (with numerous heresies here and there). Advanced technology (which is mostly salvaged from the remains of an apparently more technologically advanced Second Republic) exists side by side with feudal superstition and psychic practices. Unlike Dune however, there are also sentient aliens in the game world of the Fading Suns.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

well that way you're right....

it has the mouth of the sandworm but the guy who made it must have copied it from another guy and so on and the first guy copied it from dune...

bingo all round mouth creatures are descendents of our ol sandworm....

anyone seen tremors???

I guess that was using the same idea of the dune sandworm....

LoneSandRider, cool OoTS-style Fremen avatar, btw :D

Tks, use to play Tribal Wars and it was my avatar over there. Always created Fremen tribes and made it my duty to educate my member to the ways of the desert  ;)

I got a other reference this time, one that is a lot clearer. Unfortunately i forgot to paste the pic last i play the game, i'll be back with it next time i play it.

Game's call Crusader Kings 2. In this game you lead a Baron or a Duke and lead his House to fame and glory. Characters can have children and you can chose who's to tutor the said child. When you do this with the leader of your dynasty you get events like every years in the game in which you can influence the traits your tutored children are likely to get.

One of those is to make either the child Brave or Craven. Event will sound like "Every time your son (or else) see a spider he look like he might faint". If your leader is not a craven himself, you'll get a reply option called "Fear is the Mind Killer". 100% chances not to get the child craven and a slim chance to make him brave if you select this one instead of the others they offer you.

• Upvote 1

well that way you're right....

it has the mouth of the sandworm but the guy who made it must have copied it from another guy and so on and the first guy copied it from dune...

bingo all round mouth creatures are descendent's of our ol sandworm....

anyone seen tremors???

I guess that was using the same idea of the dune sandworm....

Oh and almost forgot, I sure remember the Tremors movies. One of very few Kevin Bacon movies i actually enjoyed (no offense meant to his fans).

They're a bit of differences ofc but they sure are sandworms inspired.

This, is the movie posters and somehow the actual worms in the movie dont look like it. Here's a pic from the movie.

Although the movie worms dont look like they have any teeth, they sure are a reference to Frank Herbert vision.

• Upvote 2

Oh and almost forgot, I sure remember the Tremors movies. One of very few Kevin Bacon movies i actually enjoyed (no offense meant to his fans).

Haha, I've watched these (the first two IIRC) so long ago I didn't know who Kevin Bacon was back then, so I never thought of Tremores as a Kevin Bacon movie until you've mentioned it :D

Produced in 1984 by a Japanese.

Sold the rights to the film in 1985 to an American studio.

Apparently the American version is hated by every one.

No wonder if you cut about half an hour of film and change every single dialogue.

The original was called:

And was a best seller back then. So if you are interested. Choose the Japanese version. Which I suggest for any Japanese production.

I've enjoyed quite a few of Miyazaki's works, and now I remember I even started watching Nausicaä, however somehow that particular film didn't impress me at all so I couldn't even bring myself to watch it to the end. I also remember now that there were some giant trilobite like creatures as the one depicted on the US version poster, which BTW did not invoke the association with sandworms at all when I watched it.

In all honesty though, the Warriors of the Wind poster looks more like some sort of a parody of sic-fi cliches that anything else.