Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Mahdi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very good everyone! let's also not forget James Cameron's Avatar, he is a huge fan of Dune books but disappointed in Lynch's movie despite that he does respect Lynch the director. I mean Avatar has Dune everything from Dune Entertainment logo to the ideas like Jake Sully being like Paul on how they are nobodies that would become leaders and messiahs or Kwistaz Haderechs to the planet's tribes once they go through tests of manhood including taming the wild beasts and mating with the local native alien girl and both Na'Vi/Freman are wise in nature to their planets, the Banshees being like the Sandworms, the Military being like the Sardauker, Colnel Quatrich being like the Baron, Grace being like Lady Jessica, Trudy being like a female Duncan Idaho, the Unorbtanium being like the Spice in precious substances that can bend time and space, and that sort of thing.

I am a fan of Avatar and Frank Herbert's novel, i love how Cameron paid tribute to Herbert's masterpiece since it's his favorite novel on the big screen as a homage. I'm betting Avatar 2 and 3 will be like Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

Very good everyone! let's also not forget James Cameron's Avatar, he is a huge fan of Dune books but disappointed in Lynch's movie despite that he does respect Lynch the director. I mean Avatar has Dune everything from Dune Entertainment logo to the ideas like Jake Sully being like Paul on how they are nobodies that would become leaders and messiahs or Kwistaz Haderechs to the planet's tribes once they go through tests of manhood including taming the wild beasts and mating with the local native alien girl and both Na'Vi/Freman are wise in nature to their planets, the Banshees being like the Sandworms, the Military being like the Sardauker, Colnel Quatrich being like the Baron, Grace being like Lady Jessica, Trudy being like a female Duncan Idaho, the Unorbtanium being like the Spice in precious substances that can bend time and space, and that sort of thing.

I am a fan of Avatar and Frank Herbert's novel, i love how Cameron paid tribute to Herbert's masterpiece since it's his favorite novel on the big screen as a homage. I'm betting Avatar 2 and 3 will be like Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

Those are good points. Never thought of the two movies tied together that closely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In the Order Of The Stick (webcomic) the heroes rescue some traders from beetle monsters in the desert. One of the traders gives Belkar a box of a strange substance that produces a sensation described with a vulgar paragraph. It causes his eyes to turn blue, then a sandworm attacks them. Elan also references someone (can't remember the name) saying "Talk without rythm and you won't distract the worm.

I'm certain either Dante or Edric have already posted the links to this issue some time before.

Here's Edric O's original post about it. I must say I've learned about OotS thanks to that post :) And here's the strip itself:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0688.html

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's worth pointing out that Avatar also makes a rather obvious nod to Frank Herbert's other books, namely the Pandora series.

- Both planets are called Pandora.

- Both planets are extremely hostile ecosystems inimical to human life

- In Avatar, the plants for a sentient global network and communicate with one another. In the Pandora series, the Kelp also forms a global sentient plant-based communication network

- Both stories feature a rather large conflict between technology and nature. In Pandora it's between the Shipmen and the clones.

As for Dune references,

The animated series of Earthworm Jim had a few episodes where Peter Puppy started chanting the Litany Against Fear

The webcomic Questionable Content has quite a few Dune references:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=351http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=461

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In Twin Peaks ,director David Lynch has a character named Agent Cooper (played by Kyle MacLachlan) state an abbreviated Litany Against Fear. . .

All things considered, being shot is not as bad as I always thought it might be. As long as you can keep the fear from your mind. I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Avatar has many other references as well, don't forget the "dual helicopters" are exactly like those of the Banchees in SC2. Including the rocket fire. But that's of topic.

On Topic: There is a top 5 of sand worms. http://www.fiveorama...rms-of-all.html

The one from Link resembles the Maker a lot if you ask me :).

Another "Dune Worm" can be found in Dreanor maps in the game Frozen Throne.

• 2 months later...

Grimes is a Canadian musician. In 2010 she released an album called Geidi Primes. With song titles referencing something in Dune.

Why did she choose Dune?

“Dune is probably my favorite book… so when I wrote Geidi Primes, I thought, ‘Oh, no one will ever hear this, it doesn’t matter.’ That decision has kind of haunted me.”

I believe the first episode of "Peep Show" (British tv show) they mention/show the 1984 Dune DVD.

Her 2012 album "Visions" is currently ranked 6th for 2012 albums. source

• Upvote 2