Arma 2

Calthazar

I was curious if anyone here played this, its a "tactical shooter"/military simulator.  Its pretty buggy but incredible fun because of mods and the expansive maps etc (kinda a learning curve to get used to it).  Anyways recently came across a bunch of stargate and star wars mods for it, and now I'm sad because theres not a single dune mod insight.  In summary this topic was to ask if anyone played Arma, and if not does anyone know any other dune mods for other games that are out?

• 1 month later...

I gave the demo a shot. I noticed some bugs, but not enough to make it unplayable. The voice acting on the other hand.... *shiver*.

I guess I found that they tried to take the "realism" concept too far (to the point of not being realistic due to having to interface behind a screen). As they said however, it is a "similation", not a FPS. The other aspect I found displeasing was that the environmental engine was poorly done. They had very expansive landscapes, but the engine couldn't really support it (laggy).

Ultimately I decided I wasn't hard-core enough for the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats unfortunate I personally really like it and my comp runs it fairly smoothly with up to around 3km view distance, it does have bugs and a massive learning curve, but quite fun.  Its to bad you couldnt get into it but not every games for everyone ^.^

• 1 month later...
I gave the demo a shot. I noticed some bugs, but not enough to make it unplayable. The voice acting on the other hand.... *shiver*.

The game has been optimized a lot by the recent patches, almost to the point that my PC can handle it! The voices have had some improvements but it's still bad...

I guess I found that they tried to take the "realism" concept too far (to the point of not being realistic due to having to interface behind a screen).

The interface can be removed in the game difficulty options

The other aspect I found displeasing was that the environmental engine was poorly done. They had very expansive landscapes, but the engine couldn't really support it (laggy).

Actually this is not true, the "environmental engine" does support the huge landscapes. It is your PC that can't handle it properly.

I call Arma 2 the best game of 2009! It has a nice editor, lots of mods and the developer are doing the best they can to improve the game. Too bad that they never update their demo. But there is a new demo coming out soon for Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, hopefully it will be better than the old one.

I've already ordered OA. And no, I don't play online, I usually mess around in the map editor as the online interface is quite horrible in my opinion. and my PC can only handle small missions.