If somehow the new Dune film gets made....

Mahdi

Will you...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will you...

• see it in theaters no matter what?
    • see it in theaters only if you think it looks good?
    • watch it in IMAX 3D?
    • wait for it to come out on DVD?
    • Download it?
    • not watch it at all?

In the mini-series, the Bene Gesserit seem much closer to what Frank Herbert wrote. You gotta love those hats, as well.

In the film, they really seem like a bunch of old Italian aunts and grandmothers with their heads shaved. Except for Jane Sian Phillips who seems to be like a Welsh grandmother with her head shaved.

One of my satellite channels showed the whole first mini-series again the other night (again for the umpteenth time in the last five years or so?) and I watched most of it again. It really does get worse with repeated viewing.

Even though the Messiah/Children mini-series probably takes just as many liberties with the story, I like it a lot better.

Any movement on this sucker?

One of my satellite channels showed the whole first mini-series again the other night (again for the umpteenth time in the last five years or so?) and I watched most of it again. It really does get worse with repeated viewing.

Why does it get worse?

(yawn)

It's probably NOT going to get made at all, you know. So you're probably getting your birdbath all churned up for nothing.

Anyway, have you posted all your suggestions over on Dune Novels? The Herberts are really open to suggestions; maybe they'll like yours!

There is no reason to make the movie again. It could only be palatable to today's audiences by dumbing the whole theme down.

We have Lynch and DeLaurentiss's interpretation, and they did a reasonably good job. The mini-series tried to fill in some of the blanks, but Bill Hurt as Duke Leto? Alec Newman as the grumbly Paul? Someone must have loved the two together, they reunited for a re-make of Frankenstein.

You got to be kidding! I thought Lynch and DeLaurentiis's movie was an abortion and Lynch was a very bad choice, he actually hates Dune and refuses to talk about it because he wasn't happy making the movie for he knew he was a poor choice. I detested that abomination which is nothing more than an awful hackjob parody of the novel and i actually cried at the end when it rained on Arakkis, i mean the film was nothing more than Lynch's ego projected on film than being true to Herbert's vision, i wish the studios never allowed David Lynch to direct the film, i loath it.

The Mini-series was more true to Herbert's vision but has some problems when the sequel is better than the first and that 1984 monstrosity. Yes i want Dune as a 3 part big screen movie, if audiences are outstanded by District 9, Avatar and Inception for great Sci-fi blockbusters then i assume Dune will take them on a different journey to Arakkis and shows that middle-Earth isn't the only place audiences can enjoy on film or Pandora but can relate to Arakkis.

Lynch was a very bad choice, he actually hates Dune and refuses to talk about it because he wasn't happy making the movie for he knew he was a poor choice.

Um... are you sure about your facts there?

Wasn't it more that the studio pushed Lynch out during the editing phase and cut a whole hour of footage from the release version and that he wasn't happy with the final version?

I detested that abomination

Snip. Yeah, blah blah blah, you cried a river complete with predator fish to keep away the sandtrout at the end blah blah blah.

The HLP just wants a remake now to emphasize the DUNE brandname, probably in hopes that it will help resuscitate the flagging sales of their crap McDune novels.

You mention the LotR and Avatar movies. The thing that those films prove is that you need a director who both LOVES THE SUBJECT MATTER and who is WILLING TO PUT IN THE TIME AND EFFORT to see the job done right. No such director has yet come forward for this new Dune project, so even if the HLP does manage to find someone (along with a new studio to back it), the thing is probably going to be total crap.

I mean, these are the same people who think Anderson is a writer worthy of being allowed to write Dune. That in itself should prove they don't know sheet from girder.

What was Herbert thinking? i mean approving of that disgusting and ugly piece of garbage and raining on Arakkis is killing the worms and stoping spice productions, that's why i cried.

I'm so glad the film flopped big time even with critics for let this be a lesson to Hollywood when making a Sci-fi blockbuster: DO NOT hire David Lynch! Lynch does loath the film and he never speaks of it in interviews, he also walks away in interviews if Dune is ever mentioned to him which is true because it was a painful memory for that director and a wound that needs healing, i'm glad he disowned it for it's the unwanted child of his movies.

Yes i know the film is a cult classic but for the WRONG reasons! it's one of those movies like Showgirls that gets a following and gets watch alot of times so that people can laugh at how bad it is. That is what i describe Lynch's Dune movie as "Showgirls in space".

What was Herbert thinking? i mean approving of that disgusting and ugly piece of garbage and raining on Arakkis is killing the worms and stoping spice productions, that's why i cried.

I'm so glad the film flopped big time even with critics for let this be a lesson to Hollywood when making a Sci-fi blockbuster: DO NOT hire David Lynch! Lynch does loath the film and he never speaks of it in interviews, he also walks away in interviews if Dune is ever mentioned to him which is true because it was a painful memory for that director and a wound that needs healing, i'm glad he disowned it for it's the unwanted child of his movies.

Yes i know the film is a cult classic but for the WRONG reasons! it's one of those movies like Showgirls that gets a following and gets watch alot of times so that people can laugh at how bad it is. That is what i describe Lynch's Dune movie as "Showgirls in space".

I hate the movie, but i understand Herbert, i mean, if Hollywood wants to make a movie about your book, with a big budget and an ensemble of well-known American and European actors, wouldn't you say yes?

You're just a delicate flower, aren't you? Who obviously hasn't gotten to Messiah and Children yet, right?

That is what i describe Lynch's Dune movie as "Showgirls in space".

And it's that scintillating wit which makes you such a positive joy to be around!

(Oh, btw, did you forget to use "abortion" in your post, did I miss it, or are you trying out some new vocabulary?)

There is a lot to like in the 1984 movie. The 3rd Stage Guild Navigators were a great invention...the perfect opening to set the stage of the movie. Jurgen Prochnow as Leto -- great casting. Bill Hurt in the mini-series? -- that's embarassing. Patrick Stewart - good job. Sian Phillips did a good job, as well.

Comparing 1984 Dune to Showgirls. That's a bit unfair, don't you think? Elizabeth Berkley prancing around half-naked for a movie (not that I watched it) is akin to David Lynch's Dune?

• Upvote 1

Listen, David Lynch is a good director but NOT blockbuster friendly and he was a gun for hire, i would have loved to see Ridley Scott's vision instead WHICH would have been EPIC as hell and more true to teh spirit of Herbert rather than Lynch's ego especially with the gross stuff and reasons i mentioned including that retarded raining ending that Lynch made up.

On mentioning 1984 Dune and Showgirls, both are cult classics with Kyle only for people to watch them again and again to laugh at them. Sorry but i despise Lynch-Dune as much as McDune but i loved the mini-series and it's brilliant sequel.

This reboot needs to be 3 or 4 parts since the book is very big and needs to follow in Jackson's footsteps of bringing a near unfilmable novel to the big screen. They just need to find a good director who loves the material and not for the money.

The mini-series is most likely the best and most accurate that it can get, because it is targeted for people who like and appreciate Dune.

For Dune to be made into a blockbuster, it would have to be altered severely, a la Kevin and Brian. Super-sized starships controlled by the Harkonnens, epic-sized desert battles with lasers...

Not every book has to be made into a movie. The book can stand alone without the 'rubber stamp' of the film industry. That is what was so frustrating about 'Narnia: Dawn Treader', for example; and constantly trying to re-make Dune. It is probably best just to leave well enough alone.

Well audiences have embraced two unique smart Sci-fi blockbusters like District 9 and Inception, so Dune would hit the target if it's 3 or 4 movies of the first book to do it justice. Afterall Lord of the Rings was unfilmable material at first, i mean Bakshi tried it but crammed parts 1 & 2 into one movie leaving it unfinished with Rankin-Bass to finish it off with their Return of the King movie. Now in 1995 New Line got the rights for the books to become movies and Peter Jackson accepted to do the project since he adores Tolkein's brilliant novels and wrote three scripts as WETA and Wingnut began working on the costumes and creature effects from 96 till 98 with casting in 98 then filming began for three movies at once in 99 till early 2003 as the films were released 2001, 2002 and 2003 to great audience, box-office and critical response with oscars of course.

Not every book has to be made into a movie. The book can stand alone without the 'rubber stamp' of the film industry. That is what was so frustrating about 'Narnia: Dawn Treader', for example; and constantly trying to re-make Dune. It is probably best just to leave well enough alone.

I quite agree, but can't see them dropping the Dune remake, not with Anderson as a co-producer: he wants that credit for his CV! And Dune is the best chance he's got for the foreseeable future.

I mean, can you imagine anyone wanting to see, let alone make, a film version of any of his Saga of Seven (Soon to be Ten) Suns? :)

Well audiences have embraced two unique smart Sci-fi blockbusters like District 9 and Inception, so Dune would hit the target if it's 3 or 4 movies of the first book to do it justice.

District 9 was able to receive critical acclaim, and Inception and 9 both made money. But to spend $150-$200 million per Dune movie, that would be a lot of commitment and cash up front. The total would be $600-$800 million for 4 movies. Where would each movie end?

After all, Lord of the Rings was unfilmable material at first, i mean Bakshi tried it but crammed parts 1 & 2 into one movie leaving it unfinished with Rankin-Bass to finish it off with their Return of the King movie. Now in 1995 New Line got the rights for the books to become movies and Peter Jackson accepted to do the project since he adores Tolkein's brilliant novels and wrote three scripts as WETA and Wingnut began working on the costumes and creature effects from 96 till 98 with casting in 98 then filming began for three movies at once in 99 till early 2003 as the films were released 2001, 2002 and 2003 to great audience, box-office and critical response with oscars of course.

It was considered unfilmable because of the costs rendering the special effects. It wasn't until the advent of decent CGI, that LOTR became a feasible project. It wasn't a storyline concern.

District 9 was able to receive critical acclaim, and Inception and 9 both made money. But to spend $150-$200 million per Dune movie, that would be a lot of commitment and cash up front. The total would be $600-$800 million for 4 movies. Where would each movie end?

It was considered unfilmable because of the costs rendering the special effects. It wasn't until the advent of decent CGI, that LOTR became a feasible project. It wasn't a storyline concern.

Of course and that it was a big story but to seperate it into three movies was logical! But Dune for the big screen needs to LOTR treatment.