If somehow the new Dune film gets made....

Mahdi

Will you...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will you...

• see it in theaters no matter what?
    • see it in theaters only if you think it looks good?
    • watch it in IMAX 3D?
    • wait for it to come out on DVD?
    • Download it?
    • not watch it at all?

Personally, I don't believe the film will ever get made, but I have to admit that if it does get made I'll end up watching it no matter what my impressions are.  I'm wondering how many of you are the same.

Each person is allowed to select two options.

I've NEVER seen images on these poll result things. [shrugs]

IFF it gets made, I'll no doubt see it.

<b>You can't <u>b i t c h</u> about something with accuracy or assurance based on second-hand reports.</b> >:(

I haven't seen poll images for ages, so it's nothing new.

If it looks good, I'll go see it in the cinema. If not, I'll wait for dvd rental. In either case, my logic follows SandChigger's for the most part.

I'll definitely go to the cinema, and if possible, I'd go see it in 3D/IMAX, depending on where I am at the time.

My decision regarding 3D/Imax would depend on whether or not the movie was filmed with it in mind or simply redone in post in an attempt to squeeze extra cash.

Well, considering who and what we're talking about, they'll no doubt be trying to squeeze all the cash out of it they can.

Ooh, imagine the worm rising up out of the sand, trying to swallow a 'thopter, in 3D! Ooh, gets my panties all in a bunch. That'd be worth standing in line opening night for! ::)

About $4 here.  Which is more than a thrid the cost for a regular ticket, and the same as one whole ticket at a second run theater (twice as much as a cheap tuesday second run theater ticket).

I'm one person that does not go to the movies that often except for the occasional Star Trek movie. The Dune movie that is close to my heart is the 1984 David Lynch version, so I would go only if the new Dune movie looks good. When the movie is made, I really, really hope it is good.  ;)

Personally, I don't believe the film will ever get made, but I have to admit that if it does get made I'll end up watching it no matter what my impressions are.  I'm wondering how many of you are the same.

Each person is allowed to select two options.

:) :) :)

I agree, i will do the same  ;) ;) ;)

• 7 months later...

I'll no doubt see it. No matter how bad the reviews are, i prefer to watch it and judge by myself.

I checked wikipedia and i found this : In 2008, Paramount Pictures announced that they had a new feature film adaptation of Dune in development with Peter Berg set to direct; Berg dropped out of the project in October 2009, and director Pierre Morel was signed in January 2010.

It says it will be released in 2012, but i highly doubt it.

If it gets made, i don't have high expectations though. This Morel guy doesn't have much experience, specially in large scale movies.

I'll no doubt see it. No matter how bad the reviews are, i prefer to watch it and judge by myself.

I checked wikipedia and i found this : In 2008, Paramount Pictures announced that they had a new feature film adaptation of Dune in development with Peter Berg set to direct; Berg dropped out of the project in October 2009, and director Pierre Morel was signed in January 2010.

It says it will be released in 2012, but i highly doubt it.

If it gets made, i don't have high expectations though. This Morel guy doesn't have much experience, specially in large scale movies.

Pierre Morel quit the project the day after i wrote this. What are the odds huh? I guess he read what i wrote and got offended...that or he realized he doesn't have the experience to make the movie.

Yeah, I really don't think the Dune remake is going to happen. I really doubt there are enough people who care about it to see it made. I certainly haven't detected any excitement on this board regarding it.

And frankly, do we really need another telling of the original Dune? I think not. Both the Lynch film and the miniseries had problems, but they presented the essence of the story line, which, in film, is as good as it gets. Take Star Trek, for example. Past Star Trek films have been ridiculed for being "too cerebral," with long exposition regarding the political standings of the various empires relative to the Federation, and the position of the Enterprise in it. And so J.J. Abrams came along and said, "Let's dump all of the science crap and make an action/adventure in the Star Trek universe. We'll talk about alternate realities because some people haven't heard that one before. And blow up a planet or two." The Matrix went the opposite direction: the Wachowski brothers, faced with the incredible success of the Matrix, assumed that the answer was more heady philosophical discourse. And, as you know, the more recent Trek film was an incredible success, and the Matrix sequels were failures. General audiences don't want philosophy or politics; they don't want to think. They want cake. If Dune were remade, it would be a special-effects, action-adventure extravaganza with extremely little discussion of the underlying philosophical, political, and scientific bases of the universe, or else it would go straight to DVD in anonymity. We Dune fans might pick it up and love it, but anyone else would find it boring and presumptuous.

On the other hand, a remake could result in more interest in the book series, but then only a fraction of the readers would be genuinely interested in the more advanced concepts, most of which have probably already read/heard about it. So I'm fairly pessimistic. If it does come out, I'll probably see it in theater, and I might become really excited. But I doubt it comes out, and I doubt I like it. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I really don't think the Dune remake is going to happen. I really doubt there are enough people who care about it to see it made. I certainly haven't detected any excitement on this board regarding it.

And frankly, do we really need another telling of the original Dune? I think not. Both the Lynch film and the miniseries had problems, but they presented the essence of the story line, which, in film, is as good as it gets. Take Star Trek, for example. Past Star Trek films have been ridiculed for being "too cerebral," with long exposition regarding the political standings of the various empires relative to the Federation, and the position of the Enterprise in it. And so J.J. Abrams came along and said, "Let's dump all of the science crap and make an action/adventure in the Star Trek universe. We'll talk about alternate realities because some people haven't heard that one before. And blow up a planet or two." The Matrix went the opposite direction: the Wachowski brothers, faced with the incredible success of the Matrix, assumed that the answer was more heady philosophical discourse. And, as you know, the more recent Trek film was an incredible success, and the Matrix sequels were failures. General audiences don't want philosophy or politics; they don't want to think. They want cake. If Dune were remade, it would be a special-effects, action-adventure extravaganza with extremely little discussion of the underlying philosophical, political, and scientific bases of the universe, or else it would go straight to DVD in anonymity. We Dune fans might pick it up and love it, but anyone else would find it boring and presumptuous.

On the other hand, a remake could result in more interest in the book series, but then only a fraction of the readers would be genuinely interested in the more advanced concepts, most of which have probably already read/heard about it. So I'm fairly pessimistic. If it does come out, I'll probably see it in theater, and I might become really excited. But I doubt it comes out, and I doubt I like it. :(

Too true. Dune's been done. Reading the life summary of DeLaurentiis was depressing last month, as Dune was listed as a 'bomb', and example of his worst as an Executive Producer.

Messiah and Children were wrapped up in their mini-series. God Emperor would be impossible, unless Duncan and Siona were made out to be good rebels vs the Bad Emperor Leto.

To be fair, with David Lynch directing, DeLaurentis producing, and Jose Ferrer acting, people were quite right in expecting a lot from the film--and even without those expectations, even I can acknowledge that it was poorly-executed and -delivered.

De gustibus non est disputandur, Wolf. I like Lynch's film for some reason. Maybe because there's Patrick Stewart in it. Maybe not. Certainly not because of Lynch as the director, since I'm not his fan. In any case, I like the film better than the dumbed-down, straightforward miniseries. The only good actor choices in the miniseries, in my opinion, are Ian McNeice as the Baron and Karel Dobry as an exceptionally good Dr. Kynes. Everyone else there just range from nothing special to outright mediocre.

De gustibus non est disputandur, Wolf. I like Lynch's film for some reason. Maybe because there's Patrick Stewart in it. Maybe not. Certainly not because of Lynch as the director, since I'm not his fan. In any case, I like the film better than the dumbed-down, straightforward miniseries. The only good actor choices in the miniseries, in my opinion, are Ian McNeice as the Baron and Karel Dobry as an exceptionally good Dr. Kynes. Everyone else there just range from nothing special to outright mediocre.

I hated that Baron. There were some scenes where he looked straight to the camera, i couln't help but laughed. I know it's not exactly his fault but the director's, but still. The little girl who played Alia was the best actress in the whole miniseries, imo. 69700D912.gif Anyways, i hope someday there will be a movie or miniseries that actually does justice to Dune.

I hated that Baron. There were some scenes where he looked straight to the camera, i couln't help but laughed. I know it's not exactly his fault but the director's, but still.

I got the impression this was on purpose, not a mistake. It added to the operatic nature of the miniseries. In general, I feel the Baron had much more dignity that in the Lynch classic, which there are arguments either way. I feel that both media failed, ultimately, to realistically portray who the Harkonnen are: not evil, demonic, subhuman creatures, but intelligent, plotting, slaveowners who care more about corporate, capitalistic reality than the feel-good "hippyism" produced by the Atreides propaganda mill. The Atreides and the Harkonnens were really no different in their true agenda concerning their people, it's just that they took different notes from their study of Machiavelli.

Of course, the film and the miniseries could not show that the Atreides and Harkonnens were basically the same: American viewers need conflict between good and evil, not complex story lines that reveal that the conflict between good and evil is a tool used by propagandists.