Best fighter at the start of Dune

Dunenewt

Alia already participated in combat when she was a kid. I guess possibly apart from Stilgar, none of the characters mentioned could boast something on par with leading an assault force of Fremen against the Imperial Sardaukar at the age of four.

For such an exhaustive list, I confess surprise to find that neither Feyd nor Rabban are on it.

Besides which, it's a pointless exercise. How does one define "best" exactly? Most likely to win? Probably Alia, if you go as far as Messiah. She's the one who did naked mek-fighting, remember. Technique? Possibly Feyd. Most likely to win without using Bene Gesserit weirding tricks? Maybe Gurney. Or Scytale. But then Scytale had his own little bag of Tleilaxu tricks.

Whatever.

I still think the rest would beat her though.  Besides, see the title, she'd have to be one strong foetus ;)

C'mon, I just speculated about another person's opinion I might not even agree with. Besides, that is an "overall" list supposedly covering the first two books.

I still think the rest would beat her though.  Besides, see the title, she'd have to be one strong foetus ;)

Well it depends what u regard as start of dune, if its the book Dune then my answer is Fenring, i have only read the first 2 books and just started the third . Iam speaking under correction here ,The Butlerian Jihad took place before Dune, so is that not start of Dune.  :P :P :P

Why did you put Alia above Duncan, Paul, Gurney, and Stilgar?

Well i put Alia there because she got a score of 11 almost 12 against a Ixian robot, using combat skills no Voice.

Paul got 10 against the same machine

The finest swordsman in the imperium get about 7 thats where Duncan comes in.

Alia could also use the Voice against Duncan, Gurney and Stilgar.

At the age of 4 she killed Baron Harkonnen (genius)

During fremen raids, being a good (fremen) girl she was, she would go around killing injured enermy soldiers (fearless)

All Bene witches fear Alia (abomination) 

Well, since you specified the start of Dune, the answer has to be...

Fremen Reverend Mother Ramallo.

:P

I move that we hurt 'Newt.

(This convinces me that you ARE Tony of alt.fan.dune.)

Well i laughted when i saw that answer,Reverend Mother Ramallo but the more i think about it ,the more correct it sounds.

I think the first 3 characters were Jessica,Paul and Reverend Mother Ramallo.

Well i put Alia there because she got a score of 11 almost 12 against a Ixian robot, using combat skills no Voice.

Paul got 10 against the same machine

The finest swordsman in the imperium get about 7 thats where Duncan comes in.

Good point, I almost forgot that.

For such an exhaustive list, I confess surprise to find that neither Feyd nor Rabban are on it.

Besides which, it's a pointless exercise. How does one define "best" exactly? Most likely to win? Probably Alia, if you go as far as Messiah. She's the one who did naked mek-fighting, remember. Technique? Possibly Feyd. Most likely to win without using Bene Gesserit weirding tricks? Maybe Gurney. Or Scytale. But then Scytale had his own little bag of Tleilaxu tricks.

Whatever.

Ur quite right while i was hosting an online emperor game there was nobody online so i start reading posts i came across this one so i just made a  quick list and i left out the planetologist Liet Kynes  :-[ :-[ :-[

And Rabban and Feyd and Thurir Hawat (mentat+assasin)

Anyway i dont say that the list is complete or correct but i did have fun making it  ;) ;) ;)

Ha. Kynes vs Yueh, now I'm interested.

Combat wise Kynes beats Yueh

Strategically Dr Yueh was priceless worth more than any warrior,turning off the shields so that harkennen and sards can move in to wipe out Atreides forces who were caught off guard.

Well it depends what u regard as start of dune, if its the book Dune then my answer is Fenring, i have only read the first 2 books and just started the third . Iam speaking under correction here ,The Butlerian Jihad took place before Dune, so is that not start of Dune.  :P :P :P

if you take all the books - none of the names on you list would be the "winner"

why am I still participating in this discussion!?

• 4 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gurney caution Jessica to only speak in a certain way while he had a knife to her back, and not to move certain muscles? So he was at least are of the voice right?

I'd have to say Gurney. What of Duke Leto himself though?

Dune  = best fighter is Fenring

Dune Messiah = best fighter is Scytail

Overall

(1)Scytail

(2)Fenring

(3)Alias

(3)Paul

(5)Jessica

(6)Duncan

(7)Stilgar

(8)Fremen

(9)Chani

(10)Halleck gurney

(10)Red duke

(12)Sards

(13)Merceneries

(14)Harkonen

(15)Atreide

(16)Smugglars

I left a few out  ;D ;D ;D

Where would Mohiam be on the list?

Pound per pound, I'd have to go for the Shadout Mapes.  IIRC, before Jessica gained Shadout's trust she was prepared to kill Jessica with the crysknife.  The only reason Shadout was later killed was probably 'cuz Yueh caught her by surprise and/or drugged her before.

• 3 months later...