Walking

Neil

No, there is really no point in walking into the desert. You can't reach any sietch/village/palace from your current location. You can't even die, because you only lose consciousness after the sun has appeared 3 times and wake up in the starting location. If you are followed by other characters or there is a fremen chief/smuggler in your starting location, they will warn you not to do it again, but it makes no difference. I've tried it many times (even at the beginning of the game, when you don't have a stillsuit yet), but the result is the same.

Rymoah

No, there is no point.

But once, I tried walking between two very close sietchs, in the palace area. I can't remember which ones exactly and I didn't try it again, but it was possible. I think you should be careful at when you leave (day or night), because of the sun, as rymoah said.

You actually can die: after passing out, continue walking into the desert. I think there's some statistical increase in the probability of dying, but if you continue to walk after bouts of passing out, you will in fact die, and you will be treated to a cute little cutscene of Paul's dessicated corpse rotting away in the desert.

You actually can die: after passing out, continue walking into the desert. I think there's some statistical increase in the probability of dying, but if you continue to walk after bouts of passing out, you will in fact die, and you will be treated to a cute little cutscene of Paul's dessicated corpse rotting away in the desert.

In facts, I remember one of my early games with Dune ended with a death after I got lost in the desert. But, when I decided to explore this eventuality in detail while I was writing my complete guide of the game, I really couldn't die again by walking in the desert, only lose consciousness. Perhaps it's just like you say, the death is decided by some value of probability.

Rymoah 

No, there is no point.

But once, I tried walking between two very close sietchs, in the palace area. I can't remember which ones exactly and I didn't try it again, but it was possible. I think you should be careful at when you leave (day or night), because of the sun, as rymoah said.

I don't believe you. Even if I rest for several days between steps and only go at night, the sun still gets me after the same number of steps. After maximum steps, calling a worm back to the start takes about the same length of time as from 1 step. I'm using the PC CD version.

About dying - perhaps it's more likely if you haven't found the stillsuits yet.

• 6 months later...

I don't believe you. Even if I rest for several days between steps and only go at night, the sun still gets me after the same number of steps. After maximum steps, calling a worm back to the start takes about the same length of time as from 1 step. I'm using the PC CD version.

About dying - perhaps it's more likely if you haven't found the stillsuits yet.

Flying or worming between even those two extremely close sietches in the north probably take about 150 game frames to arrive at the destination. You can only what, what, 20 frames, before you pass out? You know the sietches I mean... where moving troops between them is instant... I think they're up in the Bleden region, or thereabouts. Besides, you can only face one direction - North I assume - and there is no way to know if you're going the right way or are aligned with the destination. I'm sure I've walked in to vegetation based from another sietch but that's as far as it can go, I'm sure.