Dune 2000: Rise Of The Mercenaries

Gruntlord6

Alot of you guys may have heard me referencing a game im working on in the forum. Well I thought its time I reveal my project to you guys.

I would like to call it a new game as its far more then a mod, but it uses a great deal of dune 2000 files, so I have decided to call it an expansion. It will feature the mercenaries as the only playable house, and every other house as NPCs. Sub Houses will play a MUCH bigger role in this expansion. New units will be added, a new story is being written, new cut scenes are being shot, new maps and missions coded. Its going to be big. But there will not be a multi-player, I feel this is for the best.

You will play as a mercenary commander, fresh to the conflict, you will serve other houses that employ you until you have enough funds to turn to your own plans. Its being built entirely with the d2k+ Toolkit, which will be released with source upon game completion. Ive received permission from djcid243 to use his music in the mod, I think it will work very nicely to freshen the music for the plot Im working on.

Leave feedback below, I will listen, and good ideas will be implemented. Depending on how well this goes, I might release another expansion based on the imperial sardaukar.

Any screenshots?

New units will be added, a new story is being written, new cut scenes are being shot, new maps and missions coded. Its going to be big. But there will not be a multi-player, I feel this is for the best.

Sounds cool. Yet I thought it's not possible to add new units to Dune2k at this point?

BTW, do you have a project team, or are you working alone on this?

I modded only with Tibed,I don't know how works the other editors:there will be a tutorial to encourage similar project in this mod?

Now since it seems you can add units,I am sure that you will make special units for the subhouse and different infantry for everyone.It would be interesting to have a "mercenary" playstyle...I mean that during the mission you can choose to switch side because the enemy is ready to pay you more!

Any screenshots?

Sounds cool. Yet I thought it's not possible to add new units to Dune2k at this point?

BTW, do you have a project team, or are you working alone on this?

Most of my team is working on the toolset, but Im open to any help from those who are qualified and willing to work.

You can add units using the same method that Westwood used, but we havnt worked it all out yet. as i mentioned there is no multiplayer, so for now we are overwriting existing units.

The tools are still being written, so theres nothing to take a shot of yet, but Ive started making base maps, as well as testing unit changes.

I modded only with Tibed,I don't know how works the other editors:there will be a tutorial to encourage similar project in this mod?

Now since it seems you can add units,I am sure that you will make special units for the subhouse and different infantry for everyone.It would be interesting to have a "mercenary" playstyle...I mean that during the mission you can choose to switch side because the enemy is ready to pay you more!

Its very possible, and I plan for this to happen in the campaign, but its because you are acting on your own plans, and no longer rely on the other houses.

As for the tutorial, I may release one with the d2k+ tookit as they kit would allow you to initiate a similar project yourself.

Do you have a ModDB page or something? And what about shooting the cinematics, do you have a green screen or are you doing this live?

I will look into making a ModDB page. It will be a green screen, mvi was going to do it, but we have switched to producing it on my end instead.

Sounds really cool, but I don't get the cinematography part. Are you really going to play as an general or other personage of Dune 2000 in front of a green screen?

I get all kind of bad images in my head, about kids with plastic shield and bad moustaches telling me in unclear English what to do, haha.  :D

Sorry....  

Sounds really cool, but I don't get the cinematography part. Are you really going to play as an general or other personage of Dune 2000 in front of a green screen?

I get all kind of bad images in my head, about kids with plastic shield and bad moustaches telling me in unclear English what to do, haha.  :D

Sorry....  

think your confused, its just Full motion cut scenes like the other games, and you will still be a faceless character referred to by your superior as "Commander"

think your confused, its just Full motion cut scenes like the other games

Now I'm confused. Do you mean CGI cutscenes showing combat and other action, or will there be briefings with live actors too? ??? Because Thumper obviously showed doubts about the quality of cutscenes with amateur actors.

Now I'm confused. Do you mean CGI cutscenes showing combat and other action, or will there be briefings with live actors too? ??? Because Thumper obviously showed doubts about the quality of cutscenes with amateur actors.

Ok, heres what I meant, CGI as in the intro and ending cutscenes from dune 2000, and fullmotion video as in the rest of the videos from dune 2000. Don`t worry, the game wont be released for a long time, so I will hold a strict Quality level, Ill even let you preview a sample when ones ready.

Will the FMVs be just briefings with a single commander giving orders, or are there going to be several characters interacting in a more movie-like style? Who will be acting?

Mostly the latter, though there will be some scenes with other characters. As for actors, It will be actors from around my community, again, it will be shown to some individuals for feedback as to quality.

By the way, I think the VQA format used in Dune 2000 is somewhat different from the one used in Command & Conquer, and neither XCC Mixer nor the VQA converter can read Dune 2000 VQA files properly. Is there a Dune 2000-specific VQA converter out there, or I am missing something? ???

By the way, I think the VQA format used in Dune 2000 is somewhat different from the one used in Command & Conquer, and neither XCC Mixer nor the VQA converter can read Dune 2000 VQA files properly. Is there a Dune 2000-specific VQA converter out there, or I am missing something? ???

We are writing our own VQA Conveter.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance you could release the scenario editor part early?

Nope, and its nowhere near done, which is why there isnt a set date on the completed project as well.

The most up to date information can now be found at dune.gruntmods.com . We have a WordPress set up untill the new site template is ready.

• 9 months later...

Alot of you guys may have heard me referencing a game im working on in the forum. Well I thought its time I reveal my project to you guys.

I would like to call it a new game as its far more then a mod, but it uses a great deal of dune 2000 files, so I have decided to call it an expansion. It will feature the mercenaries as the only playable house, and every other house as NPCs. Sub Houses will play a MUCH bigger role in this expansion. New units will be added, a new story is being written, new cut scenes are being shot, new maps and missions coded. Its going to be big. But there will not be a multi-player, I feel this is for the best.

You will play as a mercenary commander, fresh to the conflict, you will serve other houses that employ you until you have enough funds to turn to your own plans. Its being built entirely with the d2k+ Toolkit, which will be released with source upon game completion. Ive received permission from djcid243 to use his music in the mod, I think it will work very nicely to freshen the music for the plot Im working on.

Leave feedback below, I will listen, and good ideas will be implemented. Depending on how well this goes, I might release another expansion based on the imperial sardaukar.

when is this done you post this years ago is the project still on

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

not even 1 whole year, and its on hold until I get some help from someone good with this sort of thing again.

if you want Gruntlord, I can help out with the Project

Im good with Shai Hulud editor like for example Im remaking the Atreides campagin