AV Club calls Dune Unfilmable

Mahdi

The AV Club has a new article listing all of the novels which they believe Hollywood should never, ever, ever try filming again.

Dune is the final book on the list.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Overall, Dune is simply one of those books packed with far too much abstract philosophy and internal action and dialogue, which can

I disagree about it being better for the theater.  We've already had basically a filmed play shown on the sci-fi channel back in 2000.

When I think of adapting a novel I keep flashing to Peter Wier and his adaptation of Master and Commander.  On the DVD's he gives an interview about how he goes about adapting a novel.  He reads the book very carefully a couple of times and then he imagines flipping it over and shaking out all the prose until all that is left is the bare-bones of the story.  That bare bones - the major ideas, the very basic plot - become the outline of the script, and then he continues on from there. It may not make the most faithful point by point adaptation, but it can make a hell of a good movie.

One thing I agree with on that AV Club article is that Children of Dune was a successful adaptation.  At least the Dune Messiah portion.  There were deviations from the novel, but none that violated the essence of the novel.  Plus, without Harrison's horrible direction, Newman really nailed the role of Muad'dib.  

I disagree about it being better for the theater.  We've already had basically a filmed play shown on the sci-fi channel back in 2000.

I won't argue on this since it was just a suggestion with no logical basis on my side. Still, I'd say there's a difference between a TV miniseries and a theatrical performance, so I don't think the miniseries are very telling of whether a stage adaptation of Dune would be successful or not. Just my opinion :)

One thing I agree with on that AV Club article is that Children of Dune was a successful adaptation.  At least the Dune Messiah portion.  There were deviations from the novel, but none that violated the essence of the novel.  Plus, without Harrison's horrible direction, Newman really nailed the role of Muad'dib.  

I've missed a lot of episodes, and mostly watched the "Children" part, and TBH I did not like it very much. I had the impression that the series went for visuals and neglected the more important things, but my memory of the whole thing is quite vague now.

My reference to the 2000 adaption was based on the fact that they went for a very play like feel for the mini.  Filmed entirely on small soundstages, no locations just backdrops.  Even the acting felt more stage like than TV like.

The Children sections were weaker than the Messiah adaptation, but still better than the 2000 mini or Lynch's film.  Other than Alia and Sarandon the acting in the CoD mini was considerably better than in the Dune mini (I'm guessing due to a more proficient director) as was the directing and, yes, the visual effects.  I really hated those pointed backgrounds and cinematography from the first mini, although I know a lot of people loved them. 

I definitely recommend you buy/rent the CoD miniseries and watch Messiah.  It really is a good adaptation (and good TV movie judge on it's own merits) especially in how it captures the characters.  Messiah is my favourite book (well, I go between it and Dune) and it amazed me with how good it was.  Like I said before, Newman excels in his role.  Not without some issues, but generally excellent.