Which game developer holds the Dune game license?

jasonspaz

Just curious if EA still has it? Or has it reverted back to the Herbert Estate?

Since a new movie will be out in a few years, a new RTS Dune game is bound to happen.

take care

jason

There are several licenses floating around.  Westwood (and then EA) owned the license based off of Lynch's film (which is why similar costumes/designs and "weirding" technology were used).  Cryo owned another license (I can't remember if it was the mini or the book) and made Frank Herberts Dune at the same time as E:BFD.  They also started to make the MMO Dune Generations based on it, but went bankrupt before the game was completed.

The license EA owned would not revert to the Herbert estate - it would go back to Universal.

A few years back in a chat Anderson said new games were being worked on, but nothing ever came of it.

I'm sure if the movie ever gets made there will be a new game based on it, but there is no guarantee that said game would be an RTS.  Or that this movie will get made.

• 2 weeks later...

i was under the impression that Cyro only made Dune 1 and an adventure game for Dune for the PC and PS2, Westwood made Dune 2 and E:BFD from what I remember.

Cryo made Dune 1.  Westwood made Dune 2, Dune 2000, and E:BFD (all based off the universal film license).  At the same time as E:BFD Cryo got the Sci-Fi channel miniseries license and produced an action-adventure game from it called Frank Herberts Dune.  They were also creating a mmo called Dune Generations but went bankrupt before the game could be finished.  Look at Deidril's Thread in this forum for more info on it.