Karneval

Dunenewt

Well, I am not really celebrating Carnaval. Although I have been near Cologne, in Maastricht en Roermond to visit a couple of friends. I'll spare you the pictures that by accident have been taken.

Feeling death is part of the party. Did you get any eieren met spek (eggs and bacon) to sober up?

I hate it, especially in cologne. At least where I come from (in the far south of Germany) it was kind of great for a kid because of all the elaborate costumes and masks but in the cologne area it's just silly crap. Fortunately in the north of Germany where I live now they don't celebrate it at all. We don't even notice that it's on until we try to reach companies over the phone in other regions and realise that nobody is picking up. And I have to say, it's much better this way. I think I might like the brazilian carnival though  ;D

Well, I am not really celebrating Carnaval. Although I have been near Cologne, in Maastricht en Roermond to visit a couple of friends. I'll spare you the pictures that by accident have been taken.

Feeling death is part of the party. Did you get any eieren met spek (eggs and bacon) to sober up?

I went to Cologne on Thursday and yesterday, and was in Maastricht on Saturday.  I haven't had any Eier mit Speck, although that's a rather English hangover food I would have thought, ha!  I do quite fancy it now though!

I was in Maastricht on Friday just in time to see the preparations. Got my eggs on Saturday morning and by Sunday afternoon I was already heading back for Rotterdam (It's my week off and I had an appointment here that evening).

It's not really my thing, to celebrate Carnaval although I know it's big down South and a couple of my friend really like it.

Did you dress up of just went plain-clothed?

Timenn, still a lack in empathy I see. Must be hard living in Amsterdam that way ;)

WikiPedia for Carnival.

And while these not really give the right impression of what 3 days without sleep and just partying with lots of alcohol

Havn't seen them all yet then I bet if you look closely you can spot me somewhere over here.

For the South of Holland this guy had the two biggest hits this year. One being

. The other being Bel Lando.

Both songs are in Limburgs. It a dialect spoken in the South of The Netherlands. Sort of a mix between Dutch and German.

Basically you dress up like something.. someone. Put alcohol in your body for 3 days straight and try to fu** anything that moves. Officially it's a party to celebrate life.

I find Limburgs next to impossible to understand...what do they call Maastricht?  Maasreech or something?  I know the sign posts often have a name in both Dutch and Limburgs down there.

I went dressed as a farmer.  I took some HD videos of Karneval so I will get them up soon.

I think they started with putting two names on the signs about two years ago. For Maastricht it's Mestreech if I recall correctly.

Although I'm from the west part of Holland I have lived down South for roughly four years. Didn't find it hard to pick up the dialect.

Come one with those video's ;)