UK General Election 2010

Who do you support (and/or plan to vote for) in the upcoming British elections?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you support (and/or plan to vote for) in the upcoming British elections?

• Labour
    • Conservatives
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Other left-wing (SWP, SP, SSP, Greens, etc.)
    • Other right-wing (UKIP, BNP, etc.)
    • Scottish, Welsh or Irish nationalists

Yeah there really should be more Duney candidates in the Election. Golden Path? Wasn't that from the Wizard of Oz? No matter. Gordon's the man for me! Everyone hates him. I can really relate to that. And people are fucking morons. I completely understand why he hates talking to them!

It's official: The UK has a hung Parliament. The vote count is not over yet, but, as of right now, it has become mathematically impossible for any one party to gain a majority of seats.

The Tories are the largest party. The Lib Dems had a disappointing result and may even end up with a net loss of seats - all this after the polls indicated they would get their best result in a century. Meanwhile, the Greens have won their first ever seat. And so has the Alliance Party in Northern Ireland.

Won't ya'll just end up with a minority or coalition government?  I don't understand why this is such huge news - it happens in every parliamentary government.  I woke up this morning and every website I went to was "OMG BRITAIN HAS A HUNG GOVT!!!!!!"

Britain has historically viewed hung parliaments as signs of an impending government that is indecisive, powerless and/or weak. Generally speaking, "we" hate coalitions.

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about. Scotland has been in coalition for years, as have most of the rest of the world. And, somehow, Germany has managed not to implode.

Edit: as far as I'm aware, a Lib-Lab pact would overrule the conservatives. At this point that's the best-case scenario for me. If the electoral system wasn't first-past-the-post then it might be a different story, and the conservatives would be at a definite advantage.

Britain has historically viewed hung parliaments as signs of an impending government that is indecisive, powerless and/or weak. Generally speaking, "we" hate coalitions.

Same with Canada. But interestingly minority governments means the government can't go do as much stupid stuff. In Canada if Conservatives do something real stupid, the other parties won't necessarily support it, and Cons risk triggering an election (which at the moment they'd probably lose seats with all the scandals they've been having).

Based upon the introduction of 'Anti-consumer' copyright bill on way: expert it looks like there may be yet another Canadian election this fall.

Knock knock ......

Who's there ? ......

David ......

David who ? ......

Gordon open the f****** door and get out of my house!

What's the difference between Nick Griffin and a bus?

A bus has got seats.

------------

Jokes aside, I expect we'll have another election within 2 years.  Con/Lib (anyone but Brown) election looks quite likely now!  Thank God for that!

Um, as far as I know, the balance here is extraordinary. A Lib/Lab pact would only have 315 seats, while the Tories, with 306 (or 307, as Thirsk & Malton seems likely to go Conservative) and their DUP allies would produce 314 (or 315). I dunno, I'd venture a guess that if Cameron promises electoral reform, the Libs will jump onto that boat in a second, and that would be a fairly stable and productive coalition.

EDIT: And I hasten to point out to the Scots that the Conservatives got twice as many votes as there are people in Scotland. Not that this actually means anything, but an interesting fact nonetheless.

I cannot wait for spending cuts in Scotland so that us down in England and Wales get a fairer deal.

UKIP got more votes than Plaid Cymru, the IRA (sorry, I meant Sinn Fein) and Scottish Numpty Party put together yet didn't get a seat!  It just shows how badly electoral reform is needed. 

Also, what the Tories should do, is take £300m from Scotland's budget, and give it to Wales, and they're guaranteed PC's votes!

At the moment. Things might change if the tories start throwing their weight around. See the way the constituancies split? Scotland is a completely different colour. We're do things differently up here, and have never really forgiven the tories for... well, a lot of things.

If we end up with a Conservative-led government (which is looking inevitable at this point), then I can't say I'll be happy.  I hope they at least have the sense to handle Scotland with care, since they're obviously almost universally disliked up here.  Even in Moray, where the Conservatives are relatively popular by Scottish standards, we understand that they're bad news.

Depending on how this turns out, it could be really good news for SNP.  If the Conservatives do what they always do and break promises, grind the working class into the dirt and generally cock everything up, it will only make Alex Salmond's calls for us to distance ourselves from Westminster even more appealing.  What people think when they hear "Scottish Independence" is a great deal different than what is actually being proposed.  Same army, same currency, same monarch - a huge pile of same, but with the added bonus of us being able to decide things ourselves.

That's right, you pompous git.  Reinforce every stereotype surrounding people with your sort of views.  It only makes you look worse and me look better. :)

The SNP are only getting more popular, as far as local opinion is concerned.  We'll see what happens come the next Scottish Elections.

Labour: Seats: 41, Votes: 1,035,528, %: 42.0

Liberal Democrat: Seats: 11, Votes: 465,471, %: 18.9

Scottish National Party: Seats: 6, Votes: 491,386, %: 19.9

Conservative: Seat: 1, Votes: 412,855, %: 16.7

UK Independence Party Seat: 0, Votes: 17,223, %: 0.7

Compare them where they're actually competing you twit.