Windows 7 or Vista Problems?

Gruntlord6

I downloaded the Portable Version of your mod, and the file "Launch Dune 2000" is sent straight to my anti-virus' quarantine zone, due to having the same 'malicious signatures' of a trojan.

Do you have a work around or do I have to set my anti-virus to ignore this file every time I want to play?

What anti virus to you use? It doesn't sound great if it complains when files are copied to temporary storage.

I use, and have always used, a combination of Nod32 and Norton 360.

Both detected the file as malicious coding, but only Norton managed to move the file into quarantine. Now I'm stuck with a "dune2000.dat" which is rather useless. Haha!

I downloaded the other file however, and neither anti-virus program complained, although it did take time to download and was confusing as to how long it was going to take to download, because it didn't have a "*** MB of *** MB downloaded" thing.

I can probably understand the reasoning behind the quarantining of the Launch Dune 2000.exe file, due to the entire game wanting to be loaded into memory, probably only good for computers with so much RAM free at all times, but because of it going to use so much at once, my security programs went super-sensitive over it.

Oh well. I still got my Dune 2000 fix for the month.

(As a side note, I like your adding alternate missions idea. I had fun with Ordos Lv 4, but I didn't like how my reinforcements came in so far away from my base. I only realized where they were after I lost half of the first drop. Haha!)

Kick off all antivirus programs to the a***. They are the real viruses! Almost every modified executable is detected as Trojan or Virus. IMO Software Companies pay them to do so. They have been noted/exposed several times for false negatives and they either never reply, neither do they remove them from their definitions.

Sorry there is no other way. Either you take the risk or not complain about PAID Scum Software issues.

Thank about this custom installer (or the whole game actually...). However I wonder why I can't change the install destination :/ I always install my games to D: drive.

And also, any idea about custom resolutions?

It just makes it easier to patch.

Resolutions are hard coded I'm afraid.

I Updated the link the the OP.

I use, and have always used, a combination of Nod32 and Norton 360.

Both detected the file as malicious coding, but only Norton managed to move the file into quarantine. Now I'm stuck with a "dune2000.dat" which is rather useless. Haha!

You have an issue. NEVER run two antivirus programs at once, they mess with each other.

That said, ditch nortan, its shit. Nod32 is decent and does a good job.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to doublepost, but it seems that Gruntlord has moved the files to his forum board: http://gruntmods.com/forums/index.php?/forum/16-dune-2000grunt-mods-edition/

We recently moved to a dedicated server, and the new server is not fully set up yet. Your dns cache has not updated, so you can still view the old site until it updates. The new server has a gigabit connection, so the downloads will go VERY fast. It will easily go faster then any home internet connection.

Ill let you all know when its back up. The files are still in that directory btw, the forum just redirects.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gruntlord for the magnificient work! =) Dune2k still does really matter (at least to me!)

I have Win Vista running on my notebook and downloaded your version... however, I experienced some problems similar to others here, such as occasional screen flickering.

What is worse, there is still the same problem as in the nahoo version i tried before. The actual screen SIZE equals the resolution, so that the game screen (640x480) is only something like half as big as my notebook screen (1280x800). This is really too tiny for me and only half the enjoyment (i can upload a screeny if you want). I tried all compatibility modes... but nothing changed. I only have a notebook with onboard graphics, but I havent tried to update the graphics driver yet. When I did that before, there were some compatibility problems etc. (one of the reasons I keep win vista is that its a sony vaio notebook and there are always problems with drivers etc.). Has anyone experienced comparable problems? I dont think its a problem of the graphics driver, maybe rather some weird vista configuration... I mean where is the graphics told to upscale the 640x480 to at least 1024x768, or fit to the screen size resp.? This should be a built in feature,..

Btw, I am just installing your dune2k version on Windows 98 in Virtual PC, anyone tried this before (took me a while to make the msi file running)? :P

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and of course, have not been able to install Dune 2000. I clicked on the download link in your forum Gruntlord6, but it keep giving me an error. Here it is:

SSL connection error

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.

Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.

If you know how I can fix this I would really appreciate it, thank you :)

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and of course, have not been able to install Dune 2000. I clicked on the download link in your forum Gruntlord6, but it keep giving me an error. Here it is:

SSL connection error

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.

Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.

If you know how I can fix this I would really appreciate it, thank you :)

Oops, forgot to update the forum links, all good now!

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of people are having problems with Vista and Windows 7 running the installer, or cracker due to being 64 bit or some other problem.

I have solved this problem by preparing an installer which SHOULD be compatible with all systems. The only thing I didn`t do is digitally sign it, so while its not Officially Windows 7/Vista compatible, it should still work perfect.

Its fully patched to version 1.06, has all the movies, and the cd check has been removed.

MD5 Checksum: 173FD000DC8F036AE116FB9DE724493F ( Valid as of December 6th 2010)

http://gruntmods.com/Projects/Downloads/Dune_2000/

ok guys patch is up.

Grab it here: http://dune.gruntmods.com/Dune/Dune%202000%20Gruntmods%20Edition/Update.exe

New Patch adds auto update feature, check back for information about the upcoming update.

Edit: I moved servers, if the download was down that is why.

Now the speed should be improved, as well as actually being able to see the progress of the download :D

Hmm Gruntlord6 mind giveing me a direct link? I tried https://www.gruntmods.com/Dune_2000/Dune/Dune%202000%20Gruntmods%20Edition/Dune%202000.msi and the link is broken i also tried the first and the second link that u provided and can not get a download. Dont know if ur just having problems with ur site or what just want a quick and easy download, but if all else fails i can grab the loader from my old XP(which i will do at some point to get Risk and other games working) i am just lazy and don't want to track it down again.

thx for reading

Hmm Gruntlord6 mind giveing me a direct link? I tried https://www.gruntmods.com/Dune_2000/Dune/Dune%202000%20Gruntmods%20Edition/Dune%202000.msi and the link is broken i also tried the first and the second link that u provided and can not get a download. Dont know if ur just having problems with ur site or what just want a quick and easy download, but if all else fails i can grab the loader from my old XP(which i will do at some point to get Risk and other games working) i am just lazy and don't want to track it down again.

thx for reading

The main post was edited before you posted that.

http://gruntmods.com/Projects/Downloads/Dune_2000/

Edit: Somehow my post about the new link has disappeared, oh well, the link that I edited in the OP works fine.

Many thanks to Gruntlord for making this superb version available, hosting it and allowing folks to download it for free!

Great work fella! :)

I've used the xp VM on Win 7 pro to run my original game from CD but the scrolling is a nightmare. This version you've made is vastly superior.

Great forum too btw... I'm glad to see such interest in classic gaming.

Many thanks to Gruntlord for making this superb version available, hosting it and allowing folks to download it for free!

Great work fella! :)

I've used the xp VM on Win 7 pro to run my original game from CD but the scrolling is a nightmare. This version you've made is vastly superior.

Great forum too btw... I'm glad to see such interest in classic gaming.

haha, thanks :)

Had no idea so many people from this site went to my forum.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so close ...

I downloaded your version which went fine. The opening pages looked good. I went to the next screen and it is split vertically. Reminiscent of the old horizontally split screen problem. I can see the game but it is impossible to play. Re-downloaded it - same thing. Watched the opening movie for the campaign and it works beautifully. What can I try to do to fix the 'black bar' problem? I'm sure it's my system and not the mod. Which I can't thank you enough for as I love this classic game.

A fan,

Danicus

I am so close ...

I downloaded your version which went fine. The opening pages looked good. I went to the next screen and it is split vertically. Reminiscent of the old horizontally split screen problem. I can see the game but it is impossible to play. Re-downloaded it - same thing. Watched the opening movie for the campaign and it works beautifully. What can I try to do to fix the 'black bar' problem? I'm sure it's my system and not the mod. Which I can't thank you enough for as I love this classic game.

A fan,

Danicus

What are your system specs?

• 4 weeks later...

What are your system specs?

Operating System new – server roles System Model

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United States)

Installed: 12/5/2010 6:50:10 PM Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron

128 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Not hyper-threaded Board: WinFast 760GXK8MC

Serial Number: WYWM60603305

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/08/2005

Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d

320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

214.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

52X32COMBO ATA Device [Optical drive]

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D ATA Device [Optical drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HP Photosmart C3140 USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1

WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAV2P191608, rev 01.03E01, SMART Status: Healthy

2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Too much?

Note: Can not install VM on my version of win7 need to have pro version not home (or what ever).

Sorry it took so long to respond. I appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Operating System new – server roles System Model

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United States)

Installed: 12/5/2010 6:50:10 PM Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron

128 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Not hyper-threaded Board: WinFast 760GXK8MC

Serial Number: WYWM60603305

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/08/2005

Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d

320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

214.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

52X32COMBO ATA Device [Optical drive]

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D ATA Device [Optical drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HP Photosmart C3140 USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1

WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAV2P191608, rev 01.03E01, SMART Status: Healthy

2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Too much?

Note: Can not install VM on my version of win7 need to have pro version not home (or what ever).

Sorry it took so long to respond. I appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Ironicaly, you gave me almost everything I didn't need. Can you find out your graphics card? (Likely integrated)

Ironicaly, you gave me almost everything I didn't need. Can you find out your graphics card? (Likely integrated)

Yes I have a gift for giving people what they don't need ...

Anyway, here is the display info:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) [Display adapter]

Acer AL1917 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 60300523PY10, January 2006)

I've tried updating the driver, but can't get Win 7 to let me install it. It claims to already have the" best driver".

Yes I have a gift for giving people what they don't need ...

Anyway, here is the display info:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) [Display adapter]

Acer AL1917 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 60300523PY10, January 2006)

I've tried updating the driver, but can't get Win 7 to let me install it. It claims to already have the" best driver".

Its an old card, so its likely you do.

Here is something worth a try, I found these on the ATI website.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx#2

If this doesn't work, I can get you access to xp mode.