Windows 7 or Vista Problems?

Gruntlord6

A lot of people are having problems with Vista and Windows 7 running the installer, or cracker due to being 64 bit or some other problem.
I have solved this problem by preparing an installer which SHOULD be compatible with all systems. The only thing I didn`t do is digitally sign it, so while its not Officially Windows 7/Vista compatible, it should still work perfect.
It has all of the Westwood patches, has all the movies, and the cd check has been removed.

I switched over to the NSIS installer, so I had a lot of flexibility in deploying the game this time. I have also ensured the installer is windows 8/8.1 compatible.

Download the Dune 2000: Gruntmods Edition version 1.6.1.9 Installer:
Download Link

Please note, D2K+ requires .net framework 3.5, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

The best way to contact me for support, is by filling out a support ticket at our support page (click here)

You can view a list of all GruntMods Edition updates here

Edited by Gruntlord6
  • Upvote 3

I'm on Vista 64bit and it worked great. Only, I don't know where you installed it and I can't pick where to install it.

Also, in the menu there is a empty space, I think you used an edited version. There also also three save games in it.

Thanks for the work!  :)

edit: here is is: C:Program Files (x86)Grunt Mods StudiosDune 2000

I rather have games on E. :)

I'm on Vista 64bit and it worked great. Only, I don't know where you installed it and I can't pick where to install it.

Also, in the menu there is a empty space, I think you used an edited version. There also also three save games in it.

Thanks for the work!  :)

edit: here is is: C:Program Files (x86)Grunt Mods StudiosDune 2000

I rather have games on E. :)

It was an edited menu, but adding the movies back into the file changed it back, ill work on a patch to add the mission selector back into the menu. Yea, I choose C: because most people have cd drives on E and do not have multiple drives/partitions.

Save games are something I forgot to remove, these will also be patched in the next update.

It was an edited menu, but adding the movies back into the file changed it back, ill work on a patch to add the mission selector back into the menu. Yea, I choose C: because most people have cd drives on E and do not have multiple drives/partitions.

Save games are something I forgot to remove, these will also be patched in the next update.

Cool, a patch.  :)

What about an un-installer?

Thank you for creating this installer.  I installed it

on a laptop this morning.  Now can play games against

the computer.

However when logging in to the old westwood servers for

multiplayer, it comes starts to log in, but comes back

with the error in attached image.

Ever seen this?

post-6166-12833240003083_thumb.jpg

I mean uninstaller next to shortcut in program list.

Why does installing this game with your installer take so long? I run it on virtual pc and it is very slow. Did you use some kind of super compression?

its compressed by install shield, and the video files take a while.

Yeah... I noticed that for C&C1, after I combined the video archives from the 2 CDs into one movies.mix archive (mostly to get rid of duplicate videos that were on both CDs) then rarred that archive, I could fit the entire game on one 700-mb CD ;D

The 740 MB movies.mix rarred to about 470 mb :O

I think because the video's are just 25 images per second or more - the images have a lot the same color/layout and that repetition can be compressed a lot with some fancy algorithm.  :)

Most videos are only 25 frames a second, but they are usually of much higher quality.

actually, I think pretty much all VQAs are only 15 FPS. But that has little relation to how well the format compresses.

(also, C&C1-type VQA usually has only 1 single 256-colour palettes on the entire video. The TS/D2k type is different in that aspect though.)

actually, I think pretty much all VQAs are only 15 FPS. But that has little relation to how well the format compresses.

(also, C&C1-type VQA usually has only 1 single 256-colour palettes on the entire video. The TS/D2k type is different in that aspect though.)

low quality might be a good reason.

The quality and the further compression of the file type have no relation. Only the thoroughness of the compression has any influence. This just means that technically, the videos could've been compressed more for the same quality, though in reality you have to consider that sometimes it's better to have them less compressed for fluid playback.

The quality and the further compression of the file type have no relation. Only the thoroughness of the compression has any influence. This just means that technically, the videos could've been compressed more for the same quality, though in reality you have to consider that sometimes it's better to have them less compressed for fluid playback.

well you know more about it then I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of people are having problems with Vista and Windows 7 running the installer, or cracker due to being 64 bit or some other problem.

I have solved this problem by preparing an installer which SHOULD be compatible with all systems. The only thing I didn`t do is digitally sign it, so while its not Officially Windows 7/Vista compatible, it should still work perfect.

Its fully patched to version 1.06, has all the movies, and the cd check has been removed.

MD5 Checksum: C65053F95F0448FABE4902C6E01E7DCB

http://dune.gruntmods.com/Dune%202000.msi

I was noticing that the installer .ing file was the main culprit with its hard 16x16 driver call, was that the only place to stop 16 bit calls?

Nice wrok on raising the video to something my graphics card is still "dumb" enough to deal with, but Im guessing you went a lil highg than 800x600...did you simply convert the files or was there something extra?

Knowledge is TRU power and Id love to get in on converting some other GREAT CLASSICS.

I was noticing that the installer .ing file was the main culprit with its hard 16x16 driver call, was that the only place to stop 16 bit calls?

Nice wrok on raising the video to something my graphics card is still "dumb" enough to deal with, but Im guessing you went a lil highg than 800x600...did you simply convert the files or was there something extra?

Knowledge is TRU power and Id love to get in on converting some other GREAT CLASSICS.

I just patched everything and then added the nessasary files from the cd. I also tried to add the mission select screen in to no avail.

Then I just threw it in an installer, as those were peoples main problems.

• 1 month later...

Wow... good work dude! ;)

The only problems I found:

- The videos are centered in the screen while the menus and game are offset towards the bottom of the screen.

- Heavy flickering of the videos after they stop, in the space between the centered video and the offset game.

- Screen flickering during game; using -f and -g only changes it in a vertical sincrony mess.

- Excessive game speed; -g resolves it but the scrolling still sucks.

The game is not playable this way, obviously.

Windows 7 here.

Next time before creating installers which create funny directories like "Fancy Nickname Productions" in my C: drive (which I DO NOT use for games) and litter my registry do something else, like fishing.

Also: if you people download the 50MB Dune 2000 version from Nahoo Abandonware site and merge it with the movies in a game image available in every peer-2-peer known to man (if not the retail version that I have - in Italian though) you obtain the same thing - if not a better one - that our champ here did. Good job!

Wow... good work dude! ;)

The only problems I found:

- The videos are centered in the screen while the menus and game are offset towards the bottom of the screen.

- Heavy flickering of the videos after they stop, in the space between the centered video and the offset game.

- Screen flickering during game; using -f and -g only changes it in a vertical sincrony mess.

- Excessive game speed; -g resolves it but the scrolling still sucks.

The game is not playable this way, obviously.

Windows 7 here.

Next time before creating installers which create funny directories like "Fancy Nickname Productions" in my C: drive (which I DO NOT use for games) and litter my registry do something else, like fishing.

Also: if you people download the 50MB Dune 2000 version from Nahoo Abandonware site and merge it with the movies in a game image available in every peer-2-peer known to man (if not the retail version that I have - in Italian though) you obtain the same thing - if not a better one - that our champ here did. Good job!

so many things wrong with that, 1. how did i litter your registry? one entry is hardly like im spamming you with spyware, and thats just the entry left by the installer, edit it out if it bothers you that much.

2. If it bothers you that much YOU CAN MOVE IT, its not hardcoded to the C: drive. The Nahoo version has alot of features stripped, and if you update it you need to recrack it, which is a huge pain if it makes you track down dll files that arent in windows 7 (which it does.)

3. Nahoo is ridiculous with wait times to get a download from the server, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. Don`t complain, you wont find me sympathetic, ill help you with any problems, but lose the attitude.

Other problems are the game itself, try the nahoo version and see.

Also, I fail to see the point in torrenting, as it has the same problems, not to mention no one here is sure the contents/crack method of the torrent, as well as isp`s tracking torrent downloads and throttling connections through them. good job trolling though.

• 1 month later...

The file isn't available for download any more. Can someone please upload it somewhere again. I got a great urge to play Dune 2000 yesterday, so I signed up on this forum so I could post on this topic since the file is gone.

Thanks in advance