Dune by any other author

Dunenewt

• 4 weeks later...

I've never read any Dan Simmons, but I was in a book store in the UK once, and in the Sci Fi section, they had something along the lines of, "If you like Dune, you'll love Dan Simmons".  Is that pretty accurate?

'Newt! Sorry, I thought I'd posted a reply to this! (Must be gettin' old, huh? :P )

I don't know if it's quite true that if you like <i>Dune</i>, you'll like Simmons ... but I like him. The four <i>Hyperion Cantos</i> books are good, the first two much, much more so than the last. I like his horror stuff, too. His <i>Ilium</i> was excellent, but the sequel <i>Olympos</i> was utter shite. (Pissed me off so bad that I stopped reading him; took me about a year or so to start the Hyperion books, which I'd already ordered and had on the to-read pile.)

He's a bit more hard sci-fi than Banks, but nowhere near as much as Niven, for example. What else to say....?

• 2 weeks later...

Simmons surely not. Only if you were very, VERY interested in Baron's feelings after he enjoyed a night with one of his slaves. I would rather take it by myself. And you try too. Perhaps there'll be once a new Duniverse sub-genre replacing sci-fi at all  :)

Larry Niven.

Niven could insert the Protectors into the Dune series.

Larry...Larry...stop inserting the bbooorrrriiinnngggg Protectors into all of your Known Space locations.

Or we could hand it off to Ronald Moore from BattleStar Galactica.

He could keep re-writing the series with two hour movies like Razor or The Plan. We could make Starbuck an angel visiting Leto II in his dreams, and then find out that Starbuck is Norma Cenva!

Or we could call Throne of Dune, Golden Path of Dune, and the 3 Schools of Dune books -- The Final Five.

Why are we so hard on Brian, when Larry and Ron change things the time.

We're so hard on Brian because he's letting Kevin change everything and add too much of his own crap.

(Why do you always focus on Brian, when it's obvious he's a crap writer and it's KJA that's responsible for most of the McDune travesty?)

• 1 month later...

We're so hard on Brian because he's letting Kevin change everything and add too much of his own crap.

(Why do you always focus on Brian, when it's obvious he's a crap writer and it's KJA that's responsible for most of the McDune travesty?)

I honestly couldn't agree more. It's depressing to go to Borders and see almost as many KJA/Dune titles as there are bloody Warhammer 40k. *sigh*

On that note, all things considered, I don't think anyone but FH could have written a successful Dune.

I'd be interested to see a draft of the new Dune books where it shows which parts were written  by KJA and which were written by BH.

Actually, I believe I mentioned that to him back when we were exchanging emails or as a comment on his MySpace blog before he banned me from it. That it might be of academic value to people interested in the collaborative writing process.

He didn't buy that, made some disingenuous reply about there being no way to tell who had written what with the way they do things, passing the drafts back and forth.

Which is complete bullshit if they kept copies of the drafts. ::)

They'll never release any of their story drafts just like KJA won't release any of his raw dictahiking recordings of Polished Prose

• 1 month later...

As I noted earlier, Bill Ransom would be an excellent author to produce some dune short stories and or poetry.  I've also love to read an interview with Bill Ransom concerning his collaboration with Frank Herbert during the Pandora series.  He can be contacted via the following link; Contact Bill Ransom

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid of emailing him 'cuz he might think I'm stalking him on the Internet.  :P

Why, have you emailed him before or something? Used that contact page before?

(I'm thinking the answer to both is NO and that this is just another example of your being your usual passive-aggressive a**hole self. Am I right?)