What hardware are you going to buy in 2010?

veK

Likely both software and hardware: Recently I had to resize a partition on an old PIII cause I changed the Mobo and XP failed to load-anyway had to (reinstall)/repair XP but there was no space left and XP installation also was failing to see existing Windows!!! First I made space on the HDD not to touch the existing partition (even though I backed up on DVDs). I created a new bigger empty partition (with BootItNG). 1. Used Norton Ghost* to transfer the system there. Norton Ghost was EPIC fail (even though it said completed...) 2. Then I used a different empty HDD on another PC-again Ghost failed! 3. Then I used BootItNG to make a copy of the partition on free space. Then XP installation recognized existing system and prompted for a repair. I exited resized it with BootItNG and run installation again. Now running OK. :-) * some other programs failed from the beginning... BUT I also lost files from other partitions (file structure readable but file contents messed) in the beginning, even though I recalculated CHS and rewrote MBR. I had to change Mobo BIOS HDD access from AUTO to LARGE, and everything went fine thereafter. Also disabled CACHEABLE graphics memory to make my 2 graphics cards work together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought 8gb for 80$, so nice.

I spent a bit more to make sure compatibility with motherboard. The first 4gb I spent $76. Apparently since 1.5 months ago ram prices have dropped a lot at newegg canada. I see some 8gb there now for $87. But none at those prices have lots of reviews, so quality would be an issue.

I spent a bit more to make sure compatibility with motherboard. The first 4gb I spent $76. Apparently since 1.5 months ago ram prices have dropped a lot at newegg canada. I see some 8gb there now for $87. But none at those prices have lots of reviews, so quality would be an issue.

I bought mine on boxing day, so it was 40$ cheaper. What speed/manufacturer was yours? mine is 1333mhz mushkin ddr3.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

It was on ram compatibility sheet for motherboard, so I didn't want to take chance on screwing around with ram not on the list (I'm sure items not listed would have worked as well). Nothing special about the ram other than that, appears to be budget line. Didn't want any ram with large heatsinks incase it got in way of cpu cooler or anything.

And I didn't get either on sale or anything, although the ram I received yesterday turns out I could have saved ~$7 ($15%) if I put in a promo code I didn't realize was out at time of ordering.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

It was on ram compatibility sheet for motherboard, so I didn't want to take chance on screwing around with ram not on the list (I'm sure items not listed would have worked as well). Nothing special about the ram other than that, appears to be budget line. Didn't want any ram with large heatsinks incase it got in way of cpu cooler or anything.

And I didn't get either on sale or anything, although the ram I received yesterday turns out I could have saved ~$7 ($15%) if I put in a promo code I didn't realize was out at time of ordering.

RAM hardly ever gets warm, the heatsinks are a joke. And as long as your ram matches your other sticks, you will not have an issue.

Mine is also a budget brand, but I cannot notice a difference.

I was never worried about ram heat (never really heard of heat problems unless maybe you overclock it). As long as airflow inside case from case fans (and cpu fan), shouldn't be any problems.

Glad to hear heatsinks on ram are a joke for normal usage scenarios.

I was never worried about ram heat (never really heard of heat problems unless maybe you overclock it). As long as airflow inside case from case fans (and cpu fan), shouldn't be any problems.

Glad to hear heatsinks on ram are a joke for normal usage scenarios.

Even overclocked they are a joke, unless you did some really extreme stuff I suppose. You did a good thing getting the cheaper RAM.