What hardware are you going to buy in 2010?

veK

It was approved Friday and I got it later that evening.  24 hours of headaches, tech support calls, a return to the store and (4!) data plan changes later and it is up and running.  It will be nice to leave my little home office....

I ended up getting the older Bold, the 9000.  I liked the keyboard a lot more (tons easier to type on) I liked the bigger screen, 4 times the internal memory, and $100 cheaper to boot.  Only advantages I could see the 9700 had was a trackpad (would be nice) and a better camera - but I won't be using it for pics anyway.  I have a dslr for that....

I tethered it to my comp to test out the capability and damn it is fast.  Faster than my regular internet I think.

It was approved Friday and I got it later that evening.  24 hours of headaches, tech support calls, a return to the store and (4!) data plan changes later and it is up and running.  It will be nice to leave my little home office....

I ended up getting the older Bold, the 9000.  I liked the keyboard a lot more (tons easier to type on) I liked the bigger screen, 4 times the internal memory, and $100 cheaper to boot.  Only advantages I could see the 9700 had was a trackpad (would be nice) and a better camera - but I won't be using it for pics anyway.  I have a dslr for that....

I tethered it to my comp to test out the capability and damn it is fast.  Faster than my regular internet I think.

carefull, data fees will eat you alive.

carefull, data fees will eat you alive.

I have a 1 gb plan - that should be more than enough.  Especially since I run it off my wi-fi whenever I'm at home.  The tethering was a test for future emergencies - sometimes my home internet is not reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably going to get another Xbox360. I sold mine a while ago and now MS has announced a new model at E3. Although the PSU is still not integrated it's a bit smaller, the HDD is bigger and WiFi is built in this time. The new design looks great and finally the device doesn't look cheap anymore like the last one did when I put it next to my PS3, TV and speakers.

I'm not interested in the new technologies (Natal/Kinect for Xbox and Move for PS3) and probably won't buy the hardware unless a really great game is coming. But I actually hope not because I like playing with a gamepad...

Probably going to get another Xbox360. I sold mine a while ago and now MS has announced a new model at E3. Although the PSU is still not integrated it's a bit smaller, the HDD is bigger and WiFi is built in this time. The new design looks great and finally the device doesn't look cheap anymore like the last one did when I put it next to my PS3, TV and speakers.

I'm not interested in the new technologies (Natal/Kinect for Xbox and Move for PS3) and probably won't buy the hardware unless a really great game is coming. But I actually hope not because I like playing with a gamepad...

Yea, they look sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for four years now yours truly works with one of the largest photo retailers in this small country.

(don't worry, I manage all the IT stuff. From local workstations, VoIP, POS systems to the feeds we have to our suppliers and webshops)

And while I never had much with photography I thought after all those years it was time to buy into it.

Below the result.

pentax1.jpg

[img width=300 height=400]http://picturez.game-heaven.com/pentax/pentax2.jpg

[img width=400 height=300]http://picturez.game-heaven.com/pentax/pentax4.jpg

Well, let's just say the head-of-IT doesn't really walks through the checkout stands when he takes stuff from the warehouse.

If you would order it on NewEgg the body, two lenses and filters retail for somewhere over 1000 Euro.

Well, let's just say the head-of-IT doesn't really walks through the checkout stands when he takes stuff from the warehouse.

If you would order it on NewEgg the body, two lenses and filters retail for somewhere over 1000 Euro.

So the head of IT has a five fingered discount? ;)

I ordered a new mouse and mousepad. I can't hardly move my old one any more. It got worse this weekend when the feet started rubbing off. I already replaced this mouse a while ago but had to send the new one back because it had technical problems. Now I can only hope I'm comfortable with the new mouse and it's shape. Should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Today they called me and I got the DVD recorder. They told me that they had available yesterday but they thought they didn't and that they found out after I left... Blah!

Interestingly it was writing "Audio Reserved" and I didn't check what the h*** was that. So I connected it to the sound card and the result was no sound-even after I removed the DVD recorder! I had to remove the sound card from the PCI slot and put it back again. So no cable is required but they don't mention anything about the problems a cable can create in the manual. They should have closed those slots with tape...

Burned my first DVD and it is OK. But it seems it doesn't burn at 2x. No option for it (Nero), and it would be useful when burning OS DVDs. Faster speeds often make OS fail to install.

One other minor issue is that the tray opens/closes very slowly.