What hardware are you going to buy in 2010?

veK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really hardware then as I am the only one who really buys software.. ;-)

I had to pay 15 Dollar on a US site to have it shipped from 40km away from my home. :P No wonder the economy is going down the drain...

Solaris%20Box%203.jpg

[img width=300 height=400]http://picturez.game-heaven.com/Sun/Solaris%20Box%204.jpg

[img width=400 height=300]http://picturez.game-heaven.com/Sun/Solaris%20Box%206.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And here I thought solaris was free.

It can be downloaded for free.

Why did you buy solaris when linux is available for download and is free?

Solaris is not the same as Linux. And I need additional Solaris features that don't come in the free version.

The other reason is that companies need to make money. And with all the free stuff I use from Sun I like to give something back. :)

It can be downloaded for free.

Solaris is not the same as Linux. And I need additional Solaris features that don't come in the free version.

The other reason is that companies need to make money. And with all the free stuff I use from Sun I like to give something back. :)

so they charge for the disks, makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get a blackberry for work soon.  I requested it almost two weeks ago and since I spent ALL of today sitting beside my laptop waiting for an e-mail that would let me do work (7 and a half hours and counting), unable to do anything other than sit by my laptop since I had to know when that e-mail came in (which happens multiple times a week, although not to today's extent) I'm getting a little annoyed that the reason it hasn't been approved is due to an additional $40/month fee from Rogers for the e-mail service.

Needing to be available and within earshot of my laptop 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mon-Fri and unable to leave my office for more than an hour or so in case an e-mail comes in is BS.  I'm getting really frustrated. 

As for the blackberry, the plan is for me to buy and own it myself and the company to pay a portion of the expenses, that way I own the phone and can also use it as a personal mobile.  I'm getting the Bold 9700.  The new slider looks awesome, the best combo of work and play, but I'm wary of fist generation tech and god knows when it will be released.  If the bugs get worked out in a couple of years that is definitely what I will upgrade to.

I'm hoping to get a blackberry for work soon.  I requested it almost two weeks ago ...

Consider yourself lucky, I allowed myself two months before I approved a Nokia E71 for an employee.

Currently we are, let's call it debating, for 4 months and counting to place new LCD screens on almost all desktops. Strange that a request for my new switch was approved within a day...

Anyway. Not having email on your phone is the best time of your life. Just like high-school you only realize that when it's over. If you get email 24 - 7 they expect you to act on it right away.

I just received about 2000 Euro's for vacation-money today. Don't know if you have a similar thing in Germany.

You never know. It might be worth the trip next Saturday into Germany for an iPad ;) I'm considering one of those or a new MacBook Pro for myself. Just can't make up my mind yet.

Consider yourself lucky, I allowed myself two months before I approved a Nokia E71 for an employee.

Currently we are, let's call it debating, for 4 months and counting to place new LCD screens on almost all desktops. Strange that a request for my new switch was approved within a day...

Anyway. Not having email on your phone is the best time of your life. Just like high-school you only realize that when it's over. If you get email 24 - 7 they expect you to act on it right away.

They expect me to act on it right away now - that's the problem!  I have to sit at my desk 9 - 10 everyday.  I can't leave to go outside without constantly coming back inside to check my laptop to make sure no e-mails come in and I can't leave my property very long at all unless it's somewhere I can bring my laptop with me and connect to the net.  I bring my laptop to bed and the first thing I do when I wake up is turn it on to check my e-mail.  It's like I already own a giant, heavy, wi-fi only blackberry that can't make phone calls.

Today, I spent the ENTIRE DAY sitting inside, waiting beside my computer, for an e-mail with my work attached.  That e-mail never came.  I couldn't go outside 'cause I had to call my boss as soon as it came in.  Entire day wasted, and this happens frequently.  Usually not to this extent, but still at least two - four days a week I will spend several hours a day SITTING waiting for an e-mail, unable to work and unable to leave my office until it arrives.  That's why I want the damn blackberry, so I can go and, ya know, do stuff while waiting for those e-mails.

When I do go out for a couple of hours once or twice a week in the evening it's not unusual for me to get home and find a bunch of e-mails waiting with urgent work wondering where the hell I was.  

We've also hired someone new who is taking over some of my responsibilities as I take over some of my bosses and she only available evenings and weekends - which means I have to be able to respond to her evenings and weekends, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 7 days a week witting within earshot of my outlook.

I'm not a cell phone fan.  I've never owned one.  I told the company when I started I didn't want a blackberry or a cell phone.  But now it's reached the point where I need one, because I cannot continue with this current situation.

High school was the best time of your life?  Weirdo.

Edit:  As you might have guessed, I'm getting a little bitter at the situation.  If I actually worked in an office, I'd have more home time then I currently have working from home since I am tethered to my laptop.

Technology is our slave or our master? ::) :'(

Well for people who use cell phones for work (and personal!), you can expect phone calls all the time from random people asking questions etc. 24/7.

I have prepaid cell phone. Costs me $15 a month and I only use it for 1 or 2 phone calls a day. House phone used for the rest.

Hmm. Mahdi maybe you can set up some program that when you receive an email makes loud sound from laptop (turn up volume real loud). Maybe repeating until you get to laptop and check email. That way you can hear it better?

Maybe some sort of wireless device that can display/repeat/make noise based upon receiving email on laptop, and place around the house?

I'm just thinking, but will look for some possible cheap products that could accomplish this. Otherwise a cell phone of some sort would work best (laptop receives email, and sends a cheap cell phone a txt message or something?). I guess smartphone with email works best, do you get good coverage/reception in the countryside?

EDIT:

Maybe when you receive email, laptop uses skype(?) and phones your house phone? :P

Well for people who use cell phones for work (and personal!), you can expect phone calls all the time from random people asking questions etc. 24/7.

I have prepaid cell phone. Costs me $15 a month and I only use it for 1 or 2 phone calls a day. House phone used for the rest.

Hmm. Mahdi maybe you can set up some program that when you receive an email makes loud sound from laptop (turn up volume real loud). Maybe repeating until you get to laptop and check email. That way you can hear it better?

Maybe some sort of wireless device that can display/repeat/make noise based upon receiving email on laptop, and place around the house?

I'm just thinking, but will look for some possible cheap products that could accomplish this. Otherwise a cell phone of some sort would work best (laptop receives email, and sends a cheap cell phone a txt message or something?). I guess smartphone with email works best, do you get good coverage/reception in the countryside?

EDIT:

Maybe when you receive email, laptop uses skype(?) and phones your house phone? :P

I can hear my laptop through most of my house when it is hooked up to my speakers, but that doesn't help me much going outside or leaving my property.  I also sometimes miss the sound.

Mobile coverage is spotty.  Rogers is best, Telus has some coverage now, and Bell used to have 0 coverage, but since Telus now has some coverage, that might mean Bell does too - depending on whether or not this is one of the new towers Telus bought themselves or a Bell tower.  You can't just ask Bell though -they always say they have coverage, even though last fall four seperate people (including a bell phone tech) got no single without driving ten minutes down the road.  I used to have to drive two towns over to use my girlfriends Bell Cell.

With a smart phone though I can connect to my household wi-fi so spotty coverage does not matter for e-mails, I can respond to e-mails away from my house, which means I could (GASP) leave my property once in awhile, and since I use an internet provider that is not always reliable, I have a back up internet connection for when it goes down.  As to your skype suggestionsm IP calls do not work on my ISP.  It's line of sight wireless and is not powerful enough to reliably support them.  My boss, using the same ISP, had a VOIP for work (I was offered one too) and sent it back because it would not work on our network. 

I was thinking of 1tb WD 7200rpm caviar black. But the newly released hard drive is newer for similar price. I guess speed isn't as important as benefits of low heat/noise/watts, since I got SSD. 64mb cache might make up for slower rotations.

Needing something bigger than my old 320gb hard drive for storage which needs to be formatted sometime, and backing up to another hard drive would be easier than DVD.

Just bought one, 1tb, 7200rpm,dual processor, 64mb of cache.

its now my primary drive.

I'm hoping to spare some money for a gaming pc. I want to try some Supreme Commander 2 and Starcraft 2 games  ;D

I wouldn't recommend Supreme Commander 2. It's much worse then the first one. The AI of your enemys is just poor. Can't say anything bad about multiplayer though.