strats against ordos

Baron_G

Get rid of mortars with snipers moving around.

When they come in groups, attack them with mechs; minos will miss the first one, but hit the next two or three, while the mongoose missiles will get the fast lasers. Use fast things (sand bike) against undefended Kobras; don't bother to guerrilla them because they'll only self-repair. That do for starters?

• 4 weeks later...

I want a counter to those damn mortars...it seems they always send mortars in packs of 8 with Kobras...and that Sardaukar always die in charges, and there are never enough Fedaykin to make a difference.

Rushing slow powerful melee infantry units like Sardaukar is a big no-no. I think snipers outrange mortars, but it takes two shots to kill a mortarman..I don't know why though. I guess having many more snipers and mongoose will help.

[Theory: Sonic Tanks might be useful, provided you provide repair vechs and enough objects to take the hits for them.]

If you have Fremen snipers and Fedaykin, no need to worry about Ordos. Engage them in the desert, use Ordo-esque tactics (hit and run) and you'll be fine.

The Most sneaky way is Duplicating Sard elites with The Xian "Copycat"  ;D

Not only they are effective against those Shielded units, They can be very deadly in a rush and takes alot of Verhicles down.

The real sard is just sitting down next to the Xian and laughs   :P

Ordos fast units must always be slowen down in order to finish them off. Buzzsaws can be usefull against one laser tank when they use both guns. So its good when you play as harkonnen you build as many Buzzers Siegetanks And the other's.

at a range attempt to take out aa troopers with minos.

at a range attack mortars.

with light infantry kill the chemical troopers and saboteurs

camp near the Ordos with Mongeese and minos (minos against infantry rushes and kobras) (mongeese VS lasers)

when all APCs and AA troopers are down, send in the ornits (like 6-8 of them) and destroy the Kobras.

Victory is yours

• 1 month later...

I'm not much of an Atreides player but as an Ordos player, I can comment on some of the strats mentioned here.

Advanced Carryalls with APCs seem to be a favourite strat. Yes do be careful of large numbers of AA troopers, Ordos APCs and Sardaukar Elites. But don't neglect the power of the AA mine. If you're running into an AA mine, it's likely to get most of its missiles on target - which hurts a lot! And do be careful of Mortar, Kobras and Gas Turrets when undeploying APCs - they're sitting ducks.

The Mino/Mongoose combo seems to be another widely used strat. Just be careful of the Deviators and Fedaykins approaching with a distraction. Minos are easy targets whilst they wait ages to reload. Neither the Mongoose or the Minotaurus are fast, so the Deviator has a good chance of hitting them. If you have Kindjal at the front, watch for Saboteurs/Chem Troopers. These can wreak Kindjal if Minos are your only Anti-Infantry weapon. Micromanaged Sardaukar Elites are also fatal as they can dodge Mino fire and shoot then run away before being shot at. Laser tanks could do a similar job with 2 distractions - 1 for Minos, 1 for Mongoose and Kindjal.

When using Fremen, test the ground with scouts. You don't want them to all die because of a cloaked enemy scout spotting for Mortar, Kobras and Chem Troopers. And watch out for enemy Fremen. The best counter for the Fedaykin is the Fremen Warrior - almost invincible to the weirding module.

Do be careful about having Sonic Tanks for defence. I once totally ruined my enemy's defences when I sent in 1 Laser tank for distraction and Deviated his/her Sonic Tank - killed all his/her Minos for me!

Minos are easy prey in small numbers. Never send them like so as they will surely die if any decent counter nearby or Laser tank hit-and-run groups spot them. Deviators can survive quite a bit of damage and still run away having done its job.

Any comments? Feedback?

• 1 month later...

The nice thing about kindjal troops (recoilless-rifle troops?) is that their weapons are 'instant', unlike either strain of missile trooper or any artillery unit, and don't give Ordos armor time to turn and run.  Just watch out for chem troopers, large numbers of dust scouts, and artillery units.