How to run Dune 2 on Mac OSX :-)

Jongware

[OT] Well, that's the reason I have poor Dr. Yueh as my avatar -- recently switched over to Mac!

Okay, Dune 2 on the Mac in 5 easy steps.

1. Download DOSBox For Mac OSX from its home site.

2. Find a Dune 2 package. Lots of them, but ... the one I got has been zipped as a self-extracting archive on a Windows system. It does not work in DOSBox ...

3. Other than on Windows, you cannot fool the system by renaming "dune2.exe" to "dune2.zip". So find a good archiver. I got p7zip from http://web.me.com/krmathis/. The package will contain a 'binary' called "7za". Copy this into your home account root folder -- simply open any Finder window and keep on going "up" until it shows your hard disk. Open this, then open "Users", and there you will find your home folder.

4. In that same home account folder, create a folder DUNE2 and copy the to-be-unpacked file into it.

5. Start Terminal! It will open in your current home folder.

6. Type "ls" -- it should display a list of your current folders, as well as the 7za executable. Type "cd DUNE2" to change to the folder you just created (and containing the packed dune).

7. To unpack, enter "../7za x Dune2.exe" -- this will call the unpacker from one folder up (remember? That's where you put it?), extracting the file "Dune2.exe". Watch out as Unix (and thus the Mac OSX terminal) is cAsE sEnSiTiVe. When done correctly, you'll see the file names scroll by as they are unpacked, and you can also see them with the "ls" command. Close the terminal.

8. (Eh. I did say "in 10 easy steps, didn't I?) Start DOSBox. Yippee (once) -- a DOS screen!

9. Enter "mount c ~" -- that's right, nothing else needed as path name. Enter "c:" to go to this mounted 'drive' -- your virtual hard disk. Enter "cd dune2" to go to the game directory. And, wait for it ....

10. Enter "dune2" to start the game! Yippee!

• 2 months later...

Hi hi.

I'm looking to play Dune II on OS X 10.4.11.  I have a Dune 2 package, 7-zip, and DosBox.  I've followed all of Jongware's instructions but am stopped at #7 when my Terminal says:

------------------------------------

essstar-2419:~/DUNE2 scottgraham$ ../7za x Dune2.exe

7-Zip (A) 9.04 beta  Copyright © 1999-2009 Igor Pavlov  2009-05-30

p7zip Version 9.04 (locale=utf8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Processing archive: Dune2.exe

Error: Can not open file as archive

------------------------------------

What gives?  Can anyone offer advice or assistance?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much.

S*