Google Chrome OS

Google announced it released source code for their OS yesterday.

Built Around the Browser, Google's Chrome OS Launches, Reinvents the Operating System

They only released the source code, so you have to compile yourself. Although some people have done that and created virtual machines. I'm downloading a virtual machine now. First look at screenshots show it to be similar to Moblin. It won't be 'released' until midway through 2010.

The worst thing about google chrome OS is that everything will be on the web (data/apps), and google only wants it running on certain hardware, and no hard drives are allowed.

Want To Try Out Google Chrome OS For Yourself? Here’s How.

Links to torrent and picturs of how to use virtualbox.

No way to know for sure if images are safe.

Pretty sure you have to sign into google account (gmail) in order to use it.

The best sounding part is if you could easily sync Android phone and chrome OS, but of course there would be no syncing as all your data would be on the cloud, someone else controlling it.

The cloud is a great idea, but only if the user controls it. Which is why your desktop tower sitting at home, constantly connected to the internet would be your 'cloud'/server, in which your phone/laptop should connect to get all your data. Not a server owned by a corporation that can do whatever they want with your data. Even if encrypted, they could still lose your data.

EDIT:

I would not recommened signing in with google shortlinks, since they are not affiliated with google and are just datamining.

I tested the virtualmachine. I would not bother wasting your time with it. Get Moblin if you want something similar as it is much better, with no google account required. I'm confused as to where the 740mb virtualmachine needs all that data with there are no apps other than the web browser.