Buying a netbook

Now that my current laptop isn't to portable any longer (due to decreasing battery life, broken headphone jack, broken speakers, etc), I was thinking about getting a netbook.  Reason behind this is that I can still use the laptop, basically as a desktop, to play games etc, but I want something I can take around with me to lectures (meaning I want a respectable battery life), just to do the basics such as browsing the net and word processing.  If possible, I wouldn't mind getting a Linux one, as they seem to be cheaper, and because I've been reading bad things about Windows 7 on netbooks.  Why is it though, that some of the netbooks come with SSD hard drives with very small capacities?  Also, I want a netbook with 2GB rather than 1GB of memory.  What can people recommend?

I have been using a netbook for some weeks now. I borrowed it from my father for that purpose and I don't like it. Besides the fact that I have the netbook with the worst battery life ever (my standard laptop with 2 x 2,26Ghz lasts longer) it's nice but I wouldn't buy it. The resolution is just too small and you can get older 11-12" subnotebooks that are much better in my opinion - like the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X40 for example which comes in different models. You can get refurbished ones at ebay for little money (cheaper than a good netbook) and it's really small and lightweight while featuring a higher resolution.

As for netbooks I can recommend you take a look at the Samsung series. I don't know which one it was (it's been some weeks since I did some research) but there aren't that many... I think it was the NC10 model. But I'm not 100% sure.

Something I've been researching into :)

1. Make sure NOT to buy anything with GMA 500 video - Won't work good with linux. GMA950 has great drivers since it's been out for years.

The SSD that come with netbooks are crap compared to retail SSD. I wouldn't really think of it as a big incentive to get a SSD included. You're better off getting a netbook that you can change the hard drive(and put in SSD if you want). SSD are supposedly better, but not really worth it if the netbook will cost more. Doesn't look like retail SSD will be worth getting for several months at least (30gb below $100).

I think most netbooks come with ram upgradeable, only some with hard drive replaceable. Some come with battery replaceable. You'll find that info in reviews.

netbooks are light. Supposed to have decent battery life.

You have to decide if you want wireless g or n. N will cost more, but then you get wireless N (better range/connection would be good thing). In Canada the wireless G netbooks cost between $280-320. Good netbooks cost $350-400. I'd probably go with the larger 10" rather than 9".

I've mostly looked into ASUS Eeepc netbooks. Their current popular offering with brazillian colours is the 1005 edition. Same atom processor and 1gb ram, 160gb HD, GMA950, wireless N. Basic netbook stuff. No HDD access. Replaceable RAM/battery.

Asus Eee PC 1005HA Seashell (N270) Review - decent review from UK. Battery life is worse than the rest, but comparing to the best netbooks for battery life (5 hours nonstop movie playback isn't necessarily bad).

Make sure to read reviews for every product (any your interested in), and to go see them on display in stores.

veK, what battery did your netbook come with? 3 cell, 6 cell? If 3 cell you would get poor battery life. Also depends on screen brightness etc. And did it have antivirus and crap running all the time? The battery life time is overestimated, as its marketing numbers where they have brightness low and not doing much. I agree that you can get full new laptop for say an extra $100. Basically take the advertised battery life and cut it in half if you are doing nonstop intense stuff.

I think netbooks are good for portable web browsers and other basic stuff. Cheap and small. Older laptops battery life usually suck from what I've seen people who've owned laptops for a couple years. That also has to do with windows and crapware/antivirus using up all the CPU and stuff killing it. I fixed one laptop that had a broken process run in background that used 50% CPU constantly (I think 1 core was 100%). Killed battery life.

As for linux, sadly they don't sell many, and windows version can even be same price or cheaper, and you can install linux if you want. linux probably better winxp, unless you need windows apps. With linux you won't need antivirus and worry about viruses so no CPU/RAM wasted on that. Hmm, I see one eeepc is now coming with win7 starter. No idea how win7 runs on netbooks, especially with crippled OS. Lots of linux distros made for netbooks.

I'm still waiting for linux Eee Box @newegg to go on sale to replace old pentium4 tower. :(

It has a 3cell if I remember correctly and it's known by review sites to be the netbook with the worst battery life. Even with optimized settings.

As for older laptops: the X40 battery life is awesome. Obviously you can have some bad luck and get one with a poor battery life. But my friend got a new one for his refurbished X40 and still paid less than for a netbook and it lasts for a really long time now.

I was thinking of getting a Dell Mini 10v, although what's holding me back right now is the fact it only has 1 GB memory (it said on their site that 2 GB would be coming soon, although for reasons relating to Windows XP it wasn't possible at the moment, even on netbooks with Linux and no XP), the fact that the hard drive is only a 8GB Solid State Hard Drive, and the rather odd looking battery arrangement if you go for a 6 cell battery).  Although, I have been looking around, and it seems it is quite easy to upgrade to a 2 GB memory yourself.

Yah, you won't find winxp with 2 gb because of MSFT limitations. You'll have to upgrade the ram yourself. Which it seems lots of people do.

8gb SSD is small. But if only used for portable computer, linux install only takes 5gb max.

According to dell.com, the win7 starter edition costs $70 more than winxp with same hardware. If same price difference in UK get winxp instead. $70 for MSFT license is stupid for a netbook. you can spend that on the RAM upgrade instead.

Also dell.com has wireless g by default and 160gb hard drive. Switching to SSD and wireless N costs more.

Hmm, I just noticed Futureshop is selling asus eeepc 1005ha cheaper than newegg. Wonder how it can be cheaper, everything looks the same. Hoping they put it on sale sometime.

You know it's refurbished?

3 cell means not long battery life.

wireless g means not as good reception (distance) for internet.

I have no idea if the price is good or not since it is in pounds.

I wouldn't expect much from it (it's a netbook :P). The refurbished part is what worries me most (assuming you don't care about wireless n or battery life).

I assume you're on a very small budget? Or you just want a cheap netbook over a decent netbook to see if you like it (and if it dies in 1 year, but you liked it you'd get a better one?)

Make sure to read reviews for your specific netbook, as it should answer things such as replaceable battery.

If you're already wondering about battery, maybe look for one that comes with 6 cell already? I don't really recommend refurbished stuff (although I did buy a refurb tower that has worked for 7 years nonstop, no problems).

I assume you plan on updating to newer version of ubuntu than using 8.04? I realize they only ship 8.04 currently, but if you do get one with 8.04, I'd update to 9.10 for sure.

If refurbished what is the warranty? Is not listed. I think refurb at some stores is only 30 day warranty. No idea what dell is. If the refurb is 1 year warranty (same as new), then it won't be as big a problem.

Yes I'd update it.  Ideally I'd like it to have 2GB of memory so I could run Football Manager 10, but as long as it runs OpenOffice that would be fine.  I want something to take to lectures, so wont need it until next year really, but I'd really like it now, so I can use it wherever, because my current laptop is more like a desktop now, due to failing battery, broken speakers/headphone socket, and the fact that its a widescreen one anyway.