Dune:  The best ever An House Atreides

Mahdi

I was brought into the Duneiverse by reading the series, and Dune is still my favourite book, rivaled only by Mary Stewarts "The Crystal Cave". I was looking up House Harkonnen at Barnes and Nobel to see if they had anything to say about it, and I found more than I was looking for. Under the Subject Great SF Series Frank Herbert was the first author mentioned, above such writers like Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark! Not only that, but Dune was #1! Above titles like "Foundation", the only novel to ever compete with Dune for the best SF of all time, and it was rated #5. 2001: A space oddssey was rated #3. Here is what was said:

"Science fiction's most famous novel is arguably DUNE, book one of Frank Herbert's monumental series of the same name. DUNE is the complex but engaging story of the Atreides family as they are forced into exile on the planet Dune. Forget the 1984 movie adaptation -- DUNE is a classic; it won SF's most coveted awards, the Hugo and the Nebula Award for Best Novel."

Apparently I'm not the ony one that thought the movie was an insult to the name of Dune, Vecha.

I also looked up best SF of 1999. Can you guess what was #8?

"This year, thousands made a return voyage to the desert planet Arrakis in the epic new prequel to Frank Herbert's classic Dune series, DUNE: HOUSE ATREIDES. Working from the late master's detailed notes, Herbert's son Brian, along with the popular Kevin J. Anderson, delivers an impressive and worthy addition to science fiction's all-time greatest saga."

Too bad my library is so cheap they can't get new books.

i have a tought time deciding which is better, Dune or Foundation. The first book, Dune, in the Dune series is, in my opinion, the best. the sequential books fail to reach the mark of the first book. i think Dune's weak point is detail, the characters are well described, but the storyline just isnt broad enough. i think the movie seriously defiles the book (it is still a pretty good movie though).

I like foundation (ive read all 7 of asimov's, but none of the new ones) because the entire series is well detailed and full of excitement. For those with serious questions about earth (or like me, read the foundation series twice) there are the Robot and Empire series as well. I like certain elements of both books, so i cant honestly say which one i like more. Asimov is a better writer though.

I believe Dune is the best--but Dune: House Atredies comes pretty close to it. The philosophy that was in the original series isn't in House Atredies--which is why it comes short of Dune. But it's got all the imagination and action that made Dune a hit with thrill-seekers.

I somehow got signed out and can't get my pass becuase my hotmail isn't working! oh well.

I never liked fondation myself. At least not the first 3 books, which are composed of short stories Asimov wrote at the beggining of his career. The later books that are actual novels are pretty good, but Dune is far superior. The only book I think that even comes close to dune isn't even sci-fi, but historical fantasy. The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart is a biography on Myrddin (pronounced Myrthin) Emrys, better known as Merlinus Ambrosianus, whom men call Merlin the Enchanter. It is as historically accurate as possible without getting rid of the possibility of prophecy. It is based on the old Welsh legends and not the medival stories of King Arthur and his court. It and Dune are my favourite books, I can't say which one I like the most becuase I enjoy them both.