Stratagus

minniat

There is open source strategy game engine called Stratagus. With this engine there was written StarCraft port for Amiga for example. Maybe we can make new Dune 2 clone which uses this engine (it's a scripting language AFAIK)!  smile.png

OpenDUNE can be ported if one of the two requirements are met:

1) someone with enough knowledge about porting does the job

2) someone gives me enough tools/documentation to port it ;)

Never even launched an Amiga, so I wouldn't know :)

And Minniatian, it wasn't meant in any bad way, I was just trying to confirm we were talking about the same project ... as what I can tell, it is dead in the water. So any counter-information would be good ;)

Yeah, stratagus seems to have been locked down:

2007-06-10 Stratagus development halted

Development on Stratagus has permanently halted. The Stratagus developers are now working on Bos Wars. Bos Wars uses its own modified version of the Stratagus engine.

(From the Stratagus Homepage)

So basically Bos Wars is an updated version of the project.

I think it doesn't matter that the project was halted as long as it can be downloaded from the site http://stratagus.sourceforge.net and edited. It uses scripting language so the writing of Dune 2 clone should be quite easy. More advanced games like Warcraft 2 and Starcraft clones were written in this language. The manual for the language can be found here: http://www.lua.org/manual/5.0/

I agree that as long as the sources are available, it does not matter if it is being developed or not. So you plan on making a Dune II clone with the Stratagus engine? Maybe this time it would use new graphics? I'm not talking about the Dune2000 ones (personally I'm not a big fan of Dune2000 visuals), but I think it would be very good if someone made 3D models of Dune II units and structures (based on large WSA images), and then used them to create pre-rendered sprites.

Wishful thinking though :D ;D

I agree that as long as the sources are available, it does not matter if it is being developed or not. So you plan on making a Dune II clone with the Stratagus engine? Maybe this time it would use new graphics? I'm not talking about the Dune2000 ones (personally I'm not a big fan of Dune2000 visuals), but I think it would be very good if someone made 3D models of Dune II units and structures (based on large WSA images), and then used them to create pre-rendered sprites.

Wishful thinking though :D ;D

2 years is a long time.. it means that it's not tested in neither Vista or win7, and the latest ubuntu for instance it's seen is 7.something...

As such, a large amount of issues you'll face is stuff that's been changed since those two years.. stuff that's become deprecated, changes in libraries ... all stuff you'll have to fix before you even get a chance at doing something useful.

Re: LUA thing.. it's something I've suggested for the OpenDUNE project at a later point.. while developing an entire game in lua alone is a bit silly, parts -can- be technically turned into lua (AI for instance)... though in the case of OpenDUNE, we can't discuss changes like these until we're far enough down the road to see what's behind the corners it will bring (it's easy to say that it can be done, but you won't know how much changes it would require until you know what your code does)